Author Topic: Independent Watch Maker Vs Commercial Known Brand, Which you going to choose?  (Read 7119 times)

Offline wslee

Out of curiosity, how many of you own independent watch maker brand?

In general, most people will opt safer bet for commercial known watch brand like Omega, Rolex, Panerai & etc.

What trigger your urge to get independent watch maker brand instead of commercially known watch brand

I'm thinking to get independent watch brand instead of famous brand, not sure whether will i regret my decision later. This is going to be my first expensive watch

:Cheers:

Offline lowengen

To me, as long as i like the watch, and made some research that the brand is reliable. I was interested with some independent brands like Louis Moinet and Arnold & Son as well.. Whats the brand u r looking at?

Offline wslee

To me, as long as i like the watch, and made some research that the brand is reliable. I was interested with some independent brands like Louis Moinet and Arnold & Son as well.. Whats the brand u r looking at?

Actually I’m looking into Peter Speake Marin,beside that also exploring grand Seiko.Do yourself own any independent watch brand?

Offline lowengen

Actually I’m looking into Peter Speake Marin,beside that also exploring grand Seiko.Do yourself own any independent watch brand?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but PSM does not have an in-house movement rite? Still, i see that their watches r kinda nice looking...also, i dont think GS is an independent brand.. GS is a very finely made watch.. for myself, i do not have an independent brand.. almost pulled the trigger on Louis Moinet, but found another piece in d last min n pulled trigger on dat...

1 thing to keep in mind though.. for most independent brands in Malaysia, should u wanna claim warranty, it has to be sent back to Swiss..

Offline koryong

Nobody regrets buying a Rolex. Get that first then later look into other brands, be it independant or otherwise.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline mongourou

Rolex is independent as are still a lot of brands (Tudor, AP, PP, Chopard, Mille, Nomos, Sinn, Hermès, Damasko, Oris, Ball, B&R, Maurice Lacroix, Bremont, Casio, Seiko, GS, Orient, Journe, Ferrier, Voutilainen, MB&F, Greubel Forsey, Parmigiani, Meistersinger, Ressence...).

As you can see, even within the independents, the range of price is enormous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omega - Tudor - Halios - Casio

Offline maxthecat80

• Freshie
I know most ppl consider brands like AP for example as an independent (which maybe true, depending on one's definition).

But in my mind (some may not agree), independents should really/also be less established brands who dont produce and market their watches in a large commercial scale. This can range from micro-brands / start ups (think tempest, autodromo, mkii) to mid tier (nomos, stowa) to super high end (ressence, journe, roger smith).

I presume u are talking about super high end? I havent seen one in person before, so I cant really opine, but in photos - journe looks beautiful..

Do let us know which brand you have in mind

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline mongourou

I know most ppl consider brands like AP for example as an independent (which maybe true, depending on one's definition).

But in my mind (some may not agree), independents should really/also be less established brands who dont produce and market their watches in a large commercial scale. This can range from micro-brands / start ups (think tempest, autodromo, mkii) to mid tier (nomos, stowa) to super high end (ressence, journe, roger smith).

I presume u are talking about super high end? I havent seen one in person before, so I cant really opine, but in photos - journe looks beautiful..

I tend to agree with you. Maybe we should say « independent manufactures » for the like of Rolex, AP, PP, Nomos, etc... who build nearly everything in-house. And « independent watch makers » for Voutilainen, Journe, Smith and other high skilled individuals. Not sure how to categorize Ball, B&R, Sinn, Damasko and others similar who rely mainly on external companies for their movements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omega - Tudor - Halios - Casio

Offline wslee

I guess each one definition is difference,anyway I’m not referring to super high end watch rather mid range watch.The two I’m considering will be PSM and GS.

Currently I own normal Seiko watch,personal level is a huge jump for myself;probably in the range from 15-30k

Offline yehlai

Independent like Phillipe Dufour if I have the money

Offline maxthecat80

• Freshie

I guess each one definition is difference,anyway I’m not referring to super high end watch rather mid range watch.The two I’m considering will be PSM and GS.

Currently I own normal Seiko watch,personal level is a huge jump for myself;probably in the range from 15-30k
GS is definitely one watch that is much better live than in photos. Id like to own one someday. My fav? SBGR307 white dial.

I love the blue seconds hand against the white face...

Offline mwfchai

Borealis, a micro brand from Portugal just launched a preorder for a 300m bronze model less than 400USD. Worth a look imho

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline mikeylacroix

• DMChiropractic
Brellum

Offline JPSP

Hi,

I've just started on my "independent watch" journey last year after 10+ years of collecting timepieces. To me, it feels like a natural progression as I've had the privilege of owning timepieces from several more established watch brands. I'm basically trying to renew the interest and diversify my collection through this adventure. I could feel the butterflies in my stomach when I bought my first indie watch. 

Before I made the decision, few things made me anxious: (1) what if the company ceased operations then who do I send to for repair as most of the watches come with proprietary movements?, (2) the cost of ownership - purchase and maintenance (which honestly can be hefty), (3) what if the local ADs no longer represent the brand(s) - does it mean I've to send the watch to the country of manufacture undertaking the risk of "lost in transit" by courier company, shipping costs and troublesome process that accompany it? All these concerns are real and they come with both financial and emotional implications. Honestly, no one can predict what will happen in the watch industry so all it takes is the passion, recklessness, gusto and convincing ourselves to take more risks to start this journey.   

One must also be aware that resale value should not be a concern as the hobbyist must be prepared to incur a significant loss when selling it (like most of the established brands with some exceptions of Rolex and PP) and have to wait a longer time for the right buyer.

Indie brands are defined differently by different people. But to me, it relates to the number of watches they produce each year (less than 300), comes with different proprietary movements and innovation, lesser but more targeted geographical distribution/not highly represented by ADs (compared to Tag, Breitling, and otherwise brands that most of us are familiar with).

Price point ranges from "affordable luxury" like Habring2 to "very expensive" ones such as MBF, DuFour, KV and etc. I think one should exercise self-restraint and set a reasonable target number of indie watches in this new collecting direction plus a budget (i'm only looking at a total of 5 indie watches that will take me years to acquire but gives me the joy). Afterall, we only have a pair of wrists and ultimately watches are still luxury items, a want and not a need. 

PSM is nice but I guess you need to look at your current collection to determine if their range/model fits your "ideal" collection (ideal constantly changes but again self-control and discipline are needed).

I must say it took me 2-3 years of pondering and contemplating before I decided to do this and it's all thanks to the DeBethune watch which I've been eyeing since 2013/14. Take your time to prepare yourself but I can be sure of one thing...you'll derive a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction once you start the journey (i'm also sure you're currently enjoying it whenever you buy a watch regardless of any brands). It's up to us how we want to define our experience, indie or more well known brands. Even something as simple as a watch strap change that will change the character of a watch can give us a lot of joy and excitement. Agree?

Below is my first 2 indie watches purchased last year.   

I hope you'll find this post useful in some ways.

Cheers

James
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:24:51 AM by JPSP »

Offline wslee

Thanks James,

I totally agree with what you said especially the change of watch strap enough to bring some excitement and new life to the watch.

Currently I only have a Seiko, G shock and Grupo Gamma,that’s why thinking about an upgrading.

For me,I would like to get a watch that can fit formal and casual occasion

Appreciate you share your experience and thoughts,is been very helpful to me