Author Topic: Which one...  (Read 6534 times)

Offline timekeeper99

Which one...
« on: February 05, 2018, 01:36:18 PM »
Hi fellow members,

Would appreciate your thoughts. I have the opportunity to obtain the Rolex Deepsea Blue or the Panerai 616 Submersible Carbotech...and I cant really decide!!

Both equally desirable to me as both are special and in same price range. So which do you think is more bang for the buck?

Thanking you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DUF1220

• Freshie
Re: Which one...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 01:43:38 PM »
I'd go for the DS...

Good luck choosing!

Offline DLwatchaddict

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 09:40:14 AM »
Deep sea blue is better in my opinion.

Offline timekeeper99

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 10:09:01 AM »
Thanks...deepsea blue seems to be preferred although its only that dial that’s different from the stock deepsea model...

Offline Spider boy

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 10:16:09 AM »
Hmmm... pam, i never like the deepsea model in rolex diver's series . Buy something you like !

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 11:40:28 AM »
I have three dive watches that are depth rated for 300 meters. Firstly, the Seiko Marinemaster SBDX 017 at 44mm. The Panerai 1312 also at 44mm. And a Rolex submariner 116610LN at 40mm. This to pair with my very Asian sized 6 and a half inch wrist. Anything bigger will be too big for me.

While the PAM and the MM300 are sized at 44mm. They wear similarly to the Rolex submariner due to the thick lugs and the super case of the modern ceramic bezel watches.

The PAM is a strap monster and you will have an almost endless choice of straps to play with. The MM 300 has 20mm lugs, and also has many choices of straps but look best with the steel and rubber strap it originally came with. These two watches are designed with the intention of making strap changes a breeze. But the PAM and the MM300 sits rather high and has a bulkiness associated with dive watches. Making them a little more challenging to wear on a daily basis.

The Rolex Submariner sits the lowest. Has the best profile for everyday wear. And the oyster bracelet is by far the most comfortable bracelet out there. Nothing else comes close. The glidelock adjustment makes it the most temperature friendly watch. For when your wrist expands or contracts due to huge changes in temperature.

That said, I tried the Deep Sea and I love it...it is unfortunately a little too big for my puny wrists. So after my lengthy post...I would happily recommend the DS blue as it is a lovely hue...and something different. No need for strap changes and it’s prefect for everyday use. Yes, it is a little thick...but hey...it is what it is...a super dive watch...

Good luck making your decision.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 08:23:54 PM »
No doubt Deepsea seems to be evergreen model, however 616 gets my vote as its made by an unique material and limited production unit.

Offline timekeeper99

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 04:39:32 PM »
Thank you all for comments...i still havent pulled the trigger..but looks like im leaning more towards the Deepsea Blue..

Offline maverickcw

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 07:36:19 AM »
In terms of bang for buck it'll definitely be the Rolex. But as usual, depends on which gives you that "satisfied" feeling  ;D

Offline Ron0327

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 12:41:25 PM »
I will go with panerai

Offline Ron0327

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 11:03:04 AM »
Prefer rolex as the second value is good as well

Offline gtr34

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 11:39:28 AM »
I'd go with the rolex. The dial is gorgeous. ????

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »
You should try on the PAM on your wrist and see if you could carry it well. From experience, the Submersible tend to sit pretty tall on the wrist and it's real big. The DSSD would do better as a daily-beater, plus it would likely retain its value well. And if it does get discontinued after Baselworld 2018 as per the chatter, it's value would likely increase further thereafter. Let me poison you with the picture below :

http://andywristwatches.blogspot.my/2018/02/bnib-rolex-dssd-blue-116660-nice-serial.html
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |