Author Topic: Omega Service Centre (Swatch Group) Experience  (Read 16738 times)

Offline edktr

• Freshie
Omega Service Centre (Swatch Group) Experience
« on: February 02, 2018, 02:21:10 PM »
Hello, just want to share my experience of dealing with Omega Service Centre at Wisma Goldhill.

I went to the SC today to send my Speedy Pro for a quote to service and change some parts. When I arrived, I was given a number for the queue. There were 20 people ahead of me, had to wait about 1.5 hours until I was served. Did not expect there was gonna be so many people and the queueing time is that long. Its definitely due to the fact that the SC serves brands from Flik Flak to Breguet and everything in between. My previous experience was only dealing with Rolex SC at Menara Dion. Sending your watch to Rolex SC, you can be in and out within 30 minutes which is very convenient.

After waiting for 1.5 hours, my time is up. Went to the counter to present my watch for a quotation and possibly to get work done to it. The lady that served me did not know my watch. First she asked if my watch is quartz or automatic, I replied that its manual wind, mechanical. She asked again, 'so its auto?'. I insisted its not auto, its manual wind. I even tried to explain that I have to wind it to get it working. Before I finished explaining, she cut me in the middle of my sentence saying she noticed my watch is not working, pointing to the middle sub-register hands not moving. I had to correct her saying the second sub register is on the left and I need to wind it first for it to work, there's nothing wrong with the watch. She seemed baffled and did not understand.

I wanted to move on and asked her to quote for a complete service. She quoted me minimum cost for a service for an Omega mechanical watch is RM3000. I was shocked its more expensive than servicing a Rolex. I serviced my Daytona 116520 in mid 2016 and it costed me RM2420 for a complete overhaul. I just serviced my 16710 at Rolex SC a few months back and it was still RM2120. I don't think servicing calibre 1861 is much more difficult then calibre 4130. And lets face it, a Daytona costs way more than a Speedy Pro

I wanted to change the bezel as well since its slightly dented, which is additional RM712. In total, I should expect to be charged about RM3712 in a months time. In the end just proceeded with the service since the watch is already around 20 years old and I've waited too long in the queue to go back 'empty handed'.

Overall my experience with Omega SC is  :thumbsdown:. Mainly due to the cost, staffs' lack of knowledge and long waiting time. In the future I will definitely look elsewhere to service my Speedy.

Glad I only have 1 Omega  ::)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 02:35:05 PM by edktr »

Offline Yoda

Re: Omega Service Centre (Swatch Group) Experience
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 02:39:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Now I have to be cautious. The last time I sent my Omega I left it with the retailer, The Swatch group and no hassle all managed by the sales staff. Waiting time longer thats the downside.
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 03:01:35 PM »
It is unfortunate about the long wait, but with regards to price, most of this is already documented on their website:

https://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/interventions-and-prices/main-steps-of-a-complete-service

Offline edktr

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 03:10:24 PM »
It is unfortunate about the long wait, but with regards to price, most of this is already documented on their website:

https://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/interventions-and-prices/main-steps-of-a-complete-service

Thanks for sharing the link. I would have thought twice about sending it to official SC had I known.

Be that as it may, I still think that the service cost for Omega is overpriced.

Offline DLwatchaddict

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 04:25:20 PM »
I don’t own any omega but out of curiosity, why they charge different for precious metal model? Does that make any differences when they service the caliber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:34:03 PM by DLwatchaddict »

Offline psychokandy

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 07:04:45 PM »
What a bad experience. Now i need to think a few more times before getting a Speedy Pro.

Its a total lack of professionalism at Swatch Group Malaysia. What a shame.  :thumbsdown:  :thumbsdown:  :thumbsdown:
~Crown, Rose & Shield~

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 09:28:24 PM »
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Omega SC. However, it could just be that your stars were not aligned correctly that day. I have had 2 experiences with them- one for a full servicing of a Planet Ocean 2500 XL, and another with the Speedy Panda. On both occasions, the services were top notch and there was a chirpy and friendly Malay lady customer services officer that made the wait that much more bearable. I was there on weekdays and the wait was around 30-40 mins each.

I have also sent my Rolex watches for full servicing at Rolex SC and the service experience was similarly friendly, although the extra here was that I was also given Rolex freebies which I appreciated.

So perhaps your 1 bad experience with Omega SC ain't the rule of the thumb here, mate. Just my 2 sen.

Hello, just want to share my experience of dealing with Omega Service Centre at Wisma Goldhill.

I went to the SC today to send my Speedy Pro for a quote to service and change some parts. When I arrived, I was given a number for the queue. There were 20 people ahead of me, had to wait about 1.5 hours until I was served. Did not expect there was gonna be so many people and the queueing time is that long. Its definitely due to the fact that the SC serves brands from Flik Flak to Breguet and everything in between. My previous experience was only dealing with Rolex SC at Menara Dion. Sending your watch to Rolex SC, you can be in and out within 30 minutes which is very convenient.

After waiting for 1.5 hours, my time is up. Went to the counter to present my watch for a quotation and possibly to get work done to it. The lady that served me did not know my watch. First she asked if my watch is quartz or automatic, I replied that its manual wind, mechanical. She asked again, 'so its auto?'. I insisted its not auto, its manual wind. I even tried to explain that I have to wind it to get it working. Before I finished explaining, she cut me in the middle of my sentence saying she noticed my watch is not working, pointing to the middle sub-register hands not moving. I had to correct her saying the second sub register is on the left and I need to wind it first for it to work, there's nothing wrong with the watch. She seemed baffled and did not understand.

I wanted to move on and asked her to quote for a complete service. She quoted me minimum cost for a service for an Omega mechanical watch is RM3000. I was shocked its more expensive than servicing a Rolex. I serviced my Daytona 116520 in mid 2016 and it costed me RM2420 for a complete overhaul. I just serviced my 16710 at Rolex SC a few months back and it was still RM2120. I don't think servicing calibre 1861 is much more difficult then calibre 4130. And lets face it, a Daytona costs way more than a Speedy Pro

I wanted to change the bezel as well since its slightly dented, which is additional RM712. In total, I should expect to be charged about RM3712 in a months time. In the end just proceeded with the service since the watch is already around 20 years old and I've waited too long in the queue to go back 'empty handed'.

Overall my experience with Omega SC is  :thumbsdown:. Mainly due to the cost, staffs' lack of knowledge and long waiting time. In the future I will definitely look elsewhere to service my Speedy.

Glad I only have 1 Omega  ::)
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline kukujiao

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 11:31:47 AM »
Besides Swatch, where else can we service our Speedy Pro? Anyone else in KL/PJ is familiar with the Lemania movement?

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Kennypane

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 02:20:18 PM »
I had one of the better experience of servicing my Speedy Triple Date Chrono, about few months ago.
Waiting time around 10 mins to be served. If I had known 20 customers in front of me, I would have gone for a coffee and a smoke after getting my queue ticket!
We are not the only people wearing Omega here, I guess.
You got to know the servicing cost before walking in or deciding to service it there.
The prices are made public. My total service cost is 70% of the cost of my watch purchased 11 years ago. Go figure.
You can even log into their Swatch Group/Omega system to track progress which is neat imo.
All in I got my watch back within 10 working days.
Excellent, if you asked me.
This was my second time back to Omega SC at Goldhill. Years back was to repair 3573.50 (transparent caseback Speedy) hope I got the model number correct here.
Where else would you want to service your precious Omega? Central Market?
You may wanna share your before and after pics with us here.
20 years old Speedy might be a gem for some.
It might be worth that 30 day waiting period. Might be due to certain parts required?
Don’t be surprised u will receive a call from them in 2 weeks for collection.
Don’t forget to log into their Swatch Group CIS progress tracking system.

Cheers

Offline kukujiao

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 04:17:09 PM »
Chronograph movements are always a bit more expensive to service haha

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Timeless

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 07:35:36 PM »
I would imagine co-axial movement is way more higher though

Offline Kennypane

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
Lemania probably more complicated to service, than a Valjoux.
And ya, I believe a chronograph movement more pricey compared to a simpler automatic.

Offline Willie Ho

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 08:22:11 PM »
Sorry to hear that, i guess maybe you are served by an inexperienced new staff? I've been there a few times actually, my experience with them is not bad actually, 3 times to verify authenticity of pre-own Omega and 1 time to repair my Omega under warranty, waiting time is around 30 minutes and the lady that served me is quite friendly & knowledgeable too.

Offline bimmerman

• Dating for unattached relationships
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 06:46:02 PM »
Recently had my Planet Ocean 2500 serviced at Swatch group and it was a "mostly" good experience. Took my queue number from a straight faced, slightly robotic Chinese lady and then waited to be called. There were around 10 people in line and around 20 minutes later I was called and attended to by another Chinese lady. She was pleasant, quite knowledgeable and told me my watch had not been serviced for more than 5 years and needed a full "intervention". RM2200 including GST. At that point she stopped, looked at me for my response and kinda expected me to back off and retreat from shock and horror but I already looked up their pricing on the website and wasn't all that shocked, to her surprised. Then she repeated again, "full intervention, RM2200 sir, do you want to proceed"? and again I said yes.

Ok, then she took my watch, typed all my details and the watch details into their system and issued me a service slip and told me it would take roughly 3-4 weeks.

About 45 minutes later I received an email with credentials for their electronic tracking system to track the repair progress which I used to log in immediately. 2 days later the tracking info was updated to show a list of parts that needed replacement such as Coaxial escapement wheel, some other 2 wheels, helium escape crown, main crown, winder step.....

3 weeks later the system showed my watch was ready for collection and so I headed there to collect it. A Malay lady attended to me and she was pleasant and told me to inspect my watch while she gave me a narration on the work carried out. She was repeating what was stated on the tracking system basically. First thing that hit me was... Is this my watch? It can't be, this watch looks brand spanking new! I know I had some light scratches on the watch case and caseback but there was absolutely none in sight!

So impressed was I that I quickly paid the RM2200 and went on my way. One week had passed and I timed the watch everyday and it was a solid +4 seconds per day without deviation. Well within the COSC standard of -4 to +6 No complaints there.

Now here comes the disappointment...

After about 1 week I noticed the watch endlinks had quite a lot of play and was slightly sagging downwards making the watch appear somewhat smaller than before. Well it bothered me to no end as I can be quite a fussypot when it comes to my watches. Furthermore I had just paid RM2200!

I wanted to send it back but couldn't find the time so I went to my regular watch guy instead and asked him to take a look. Guess what? Omega gave me the wrong springbars!!! Well, they were 20mm in length for sure but were not the correct diameter hence the extra play in the endlinks and the sagging position. So I got the spring bars changed to the proper type and all is well again.

Question is, how did Omega Service miss this important detail? Hmmm..... What can I say, I'm impressed yet a little disappointed.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:48:55 PM by bimmerman »

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 07:17:33 PM »
Just curios, was your 2500 having issues? I thought co axial service interval is about 8 years?

Offline bimmerman

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »
My watch is around 8 years old, no problems to note except it started to run a little fast at +6.5-7 seconds a day and the power reserve was a few hours short of 48. But of course Omega wants you to service your watch sooner so they suggested that it should be overhauled since it hasn't been serviced for more than 5 years.

Offline bimmerman

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 07:37:57 PM »
Other than the watch coming back with the wrong springbars I really can't complain about the quality of work done. It's as new as the first day I laid eyes upon it.

Was supposed to sell it to a friend after servicing but he ran into some financial difficulties. Well, I'm just glad I get to keep it for now!

Offline mongourou

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 08:28:03 AM »
I paid RM2,014 in May 2015 for a full service (category 3) of my Speedy Pro. This time at Wisma Goldhill was relatively ok.

I went back 6 weeks ago to order a steel bracelet for my Aqua Terra Seamaster. Waited 45min just to order as if I couldn’t just pass command in 2min directly with the lady giving the ticket number. Three weeks later I went back to pick it up. Again waited 45min, then when my number was called the lady told me that the technician was not present to size it and that I will have to wait another 45min!!!

I told her I would size it myself but then realized that even by paying RM2,740 for a bracelet, they were not providing spring bars. As if it was expensive to include them! They were even asking a fee to size it (RM40 I believe).

So poor service for an expensive bracelet delivered in a plastic bag without spring bars. I was thinking about sending an email to Omega to highlight the quality of the service. Might just send this one to them.

I went the following day to the Omega boutique at Pavilion and the gentlemen there were happy to size it for me and for free.

Omega - Tudor - Halios - Casio

Offline Jaymie360

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »
Had the same experience with Swatch group service center the other day. Sending my watch and they quoted me rm1800 to repair my watch. Get a second opinion at an old watch maker and settled it for rm50 just to change the battery. The watch shop told me there is nothing wrong with my watch and everything works well ( chrono etc).

Offline munyew90

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 10:48:31 AM »
My experience with them was positive. Sent my grandfather's seamaster in for a full service somewhere last year.

I went there on a weekday afternoon, just 3 guys before my turn, hand them my watch and they quoted the price for servicing. All done in less than 30 mins.

Offline edktr

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 03:15:21 PM »

After roughly 2 weeks, I collected my Speedy last Monday, total cost was RM3711.70 including bezel replacement. I'm somewhat happy with the workmanship, I didnt have high expectation considering the age of the watch and what it went through all those years. The watch now is relatively new looking, a dent from the past is still there but overall it looks good. It looked almost factory except for the bracelet. Instead of keeping the sides of centre links polished, they brushed the whole bracelet. Now my bracelet is all brushed with no polished sides to the centre links. I noticed this when picking up the watch but I didnt mention anything. Probably looks better now that its all brushed, my opinion.

Anyway, since then I sent the watch to an outside repair shop for a dial and hand swap together with a Thomas Preik caseback. Was contemplating between albino and Mitsukoshi, but went with Mitsukoshi in the end. After service from Omega and dial/hands/caseback swap, now the watch looks like this:

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

Offline tancho

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 03:32:36 PM »

After roughly 2 weeks, I collected my Speedy last Monday, total cost was RM3711.70 including bezel replacement. I'm somewhat happy with the workmanship, I didnt have high expectation considering the age of the watch and what it went through all those years. The watch now is relatively new looking, a dent from the past is still there but overall it looks good. It looked almost factory except for the bracelet. Instead of keeping the sides of centre links polished, they brushed the whole bracelet. Now my bracelet is all brushed with no polished sides to the centre links. I noticed this when picking up the watch but I didnt mention anything. Probably looks better now that its all brushed, my opinion.

Anyway, since then I sent the watch to an outside repair shop for a dial and hand swap together with a Thomas Preik caseback. Was contemplating between albino and Mitsukoshi, but went with Mitsukoshi in the end. After service from Omega and dial/hands/caseback swap, now the watch looks like this:

I'm surprised the SC brushed the polished centre links without first asking you.  What if you were fond of the polished centre links?  They should have asked first.

Offline edktr

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 03:44:06 PM »

I'm surprised the SC brushed the polished centre links without first asking you.  What if you were fond of the polished centre links?  They should have asked first.
Agreed, considering the amount they charge and the workmanship/attention to detail, my overall experience with Swatch Group SC is

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 05:16:11 PM »

Nice Misukoshi mod but i prefer albino

Offline edktr

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 05:32:49 PM »