Author Topic: Does an unworn but 20yrs old watch need servicing?  (Read 6648 times)

Offline megaronnt88

Does an unworn but 20yrs old watch need servicing?
« on: January 31, 2018, 06:31:27 AM »
Hi Fellow members,

I've put a deposit down for a APRO 14802ST, watch is unworn and looks immaculate but I just realized the fact remains this watch though unworn is >20yrs old ish hence wanted to ask if anyone has any good / bad experience with regards to whether or not it's necessary to send the watch in for servicing. And if so, what the estimated cost would be like?

Thanks in advance

Offline dualcarb

Re: Does an unworn but 20yrs old watch need servicing?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 08:22:37 AM »
I would send it in for a service just to ensure that all parts are properly cleaned and lubricated. More importantly the gaskets and rings are changed for water proofing.

While I can’t say what it will cost for a service, my estimation would be around $1.5 to $4K.

Offline megaronnt88

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 08:26:58 AM »
Thanks.. ya I had the same concerns on the waterproofing. By the way, the estimated cost is in USD?

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 04:33:14 PM »
Very nice classic design piece! Did you managed to get the salmon dial?

A complete service from AP SC would likely set you back RM4,600, excluding tax. If you only wanted a partial service for water resistance concern, then it's less than RM900, excluding GST. For an unworn 20 year piece that has been sitting pretty in its box, I would opt for the complete servicing.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline megaronnt88

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 08:57:03 PM »
Thanks, yes it was hard to come by and feel a little lucky getting it. No unfortunately not the salmon unfortunately just the grey/black. Guess will have to prepare myself for a complete service.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 12:40:33 PM »
Suggest to go for service, the lubricant could have been stagnated for 2 decades.

Offline timenut

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 08:00:15 PM »
In my opinion, the recommended servicing of every 3 or 4 years is just an easy way for the company / watchmaker to make your money.

If the watch still runs well, why spend the money to service? Also, when you send in for service, there is a risk that your watch may come back damaged. You know never know, some apprentice watchmaker may be the one "servicing" your watch. Look around forums and you will find it's not uncommon to have watches come back from service with scratches / nicks / dust, etc.

If the watch is still in production, and it's not difficult to find the parts for it, my view is just to run it until it no longer runs well. When you finally send it in for service, they are going to replace all the worn out parts anyway, so why bother sending it in early? 

Offline megaronnt88

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 04:48:15 AM »
that actually makes sense as well

Offline mineralwater112

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 05:38:28 AM »
Hi Fellow members,

I've put a deposit down for a APRO 14802ST, watch is unworn and looks immaculate but I just realized the fact remains this watch though unworn is >20yrs old ish hence wanted to ask if anyone has any good / bad experience with regards to whether or not it's necessary to send the watch in for servicing. And if so, what the estimated cost would be like?

Thanks in advance

Wow it is rare to find unworn jubilee RO and do post some pictures once you receive it if you don’t mind. There are limited 1000 pieces only and the box is wooden type and different from other RO from that period.

Big congrats in advance. Mind to share if you found it locally in malaysia or oversea?

I own the salmon dial and she is real beauty:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline megaronnt88

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 05:46:59 AM »
hey man.. nice pc. Ya I've been contemplating getting either a 15400ST or 15202ST then came to learn about the Royal Jubilee edition and then as if by fate an unworn pc came to be avail and so I just jumped. It's from M'sia. Put down a deposit, to collect when I'm back in Msia mid Feb for CNY break.

A rare find indeed, the salmon dial even rarer... congrats bro :)

Offline mineralwater112

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 05:49:21 AM »
hey man.. nice pc. Ya I've been contemplating getting either a 15400ST or 15202ST then came to learn about the Royal Jubilee edition and then as if by fate an unworn pc came to be avail and so I just jumped. It's from M'sia. Put down a deposit, to collect when I'm back in Msia mid Feb for CNY break.

A rare find indeed, the salmon dial even rarer... congrats bro :)

You won’t regret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline megaronnt88

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 04:40:29 PM »

Finally on my wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jetstrim

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 12:25:38 PM »
20 Years is a long time for a mechanical watch to have remained idle. Service it for peace of mind