Author Topic: 2016 IWC Mark XVIII is now smaller at 40mm, what do you think?  (Read 24710 times)

Offline asimo

Re: 2016 IWC Mark XVIII is now smaller at 40mm, what do you think?
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2016, 12:55:02 PM »
Most of the luxury brand watches put high price in their entry level despite non inhouse be it panerai , omega, Cartier , brietling , B&R...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cocas

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2016, 01:47:18 PM »
Then Rolex is better  and sincere, to be exact is reputable because its entry or basic level watch still using inhouse movement.

Offline asimo

2016 IWC Mark XVIII is now smaller at 40mm, what do you think?
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2016, 03:35:57 PM »
Then Rolex is better  and sincere, to be exact is reputable because its entry or basic level watch still using inhouse movement.

Agreed with you, and they use high grade 904L steel even entry level watches (start from rm20k for a Oyster perpetual), and it come with a robust inhouse movement (and proprietary innovations ). And the maintenance cost is Comparable with other luxury watch brands.

Certain luxury brands give non inhouse movement even though cost above rm20k!

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 05:33:41 PM by asimo »

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2016, 03:42:38 PM »

Agreed with you, and they use high grade 916L steel even entry level watches (start from rm20k for a Oyster perpetual), and it come with a robust inhouse movement. And the maintenance cost is Comparable with other luxury watch brands.

Certain luxury brands give non inhouse movement even though cost above rm20k!

I agree with the both of you. Rolex is the only brand amongst Omega, Panerai and the likes which uses third party (ETA) movement on some of their pieces. Rolex also does not milk the market by offering "limited edition" or "special edition" watches. A Rolex is a Rolex and is as honest as day with in house everything.

Offline elado249

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2016, 03:49:46 PM »
Totally agree, even tho i do not own any rolex. Hopefully in years coming rolex will introduce exhibition back, then i can fully enjoy the watch

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline asimo

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2016, 05:18:14 PM »
So no forum members bought the new Mark XVIII ? The LPP blue version looks good , 2nd is the white dial ... Wonder it is the first time IWC come out with white dial pilot watches ?

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2016, 06:43:20 PM »
So no forum members bought the new Mark XVIII ? The LPP blue version looks good , 2nd is the white dial ... Wonder it is the first time IWC come out with white dial pilot watches ?

No budget right now. I love the blue on the LPP though...unless I let go of some pieces, but I am rather reluctant to do that at the moment.

Offline asimo

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2016, 09:27:45 PM »
Read someone mentioned in a western watch forum that the New Mark XVIII actually USD1k cheaper than the XVII .. But in Malaysia XVIII is more expensive by RM1K at RM18.4K

Offline watchdiver

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2016, 11:44:56 PM »
Read someone mentioned in a western watch forum that the New Mark XVIII actually USD1k cheaper than the XVII .. But in Malaysia XVIII is more expensive by RM1K at RM18.4K

Where did you read this?  Sounds interesting.

Offline elado249

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2016, 05:03:27 AM »
I do read that IWC lowered their price for this model, but i think its typical malaysian retailer/ad way

Offline asimo

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2016, 07:34:06 AM »

Offline asimo

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2016, 07:35:10 AM »
I do read that IWC lowered their price for this model, but i think its typical malaysian retailer/ad way

But in Malaysia, the official retail price increase from rm17.4k to rm18.4k for Mark 18

Offline roystock

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2016, 06:10:13 PM »
I tried the mark xviii today, side by side with a xvii.
Surprisingly, the date window doesn't bother me and I sure prefer the size to mark xvii.
However, the watch doesn't wear well on me due to the design of its lug which is a little long for my liking.

I guess it is time to look out for a xvi

Offline ilovehotdogss

• Freshie
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2016, 06:26:46 PM »
A great piece but why 40mm now??
"If price is the concern, you can't afford it. There are few things sadder than a man wearing a luxury watch he can't afford" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2018, 05:12:17 PM »
I tried the mark xviii today, side by side with a xvii.
Surprisingly, the date window doesn't bother me and I sure prefer the size to mark xvii.
However, the watch doesn't wear well on me due to the design of its lug which is a little long for my liking.

I guess it is time to look out for a xvi

Even it is 40mm but the lug to lug of this pilot is about 50mm. It is wear big . For me, the diamater is one thing, now I'm focusing more on the lug to lug length for better fitting for my wrist. I'd try IWC Pilot 377709 Chrono 43mm , the diameter is ok but the lug (lug to lug 53mm) had exceed my wrist. Doesn't fit me well. Any help from IWC gurus or expert  in this forum is appreciate since I'm still looking for a pilot watch. 

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2018, 06:14:33 AM »
Does the watch have to have a chrono function? Why particularly a pilot’s watch? If it’s a simple three hand watch that you want, the IWC mark series now comes in 36mm too. But I would also highly recommend the Omega Speedmaster professional. It may have a 42mm dimension but wears smaller. Highly versatile and looks great with both the steel and whatever bracelet that you throw it on. I know it’s not a pilot’s watch, but it’s a “space watch”.

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2018, 02:17:14 PM »
Most of my collection is diver watch. Got bore with bulky case , thick bezel, and round hour marker.  I kinda like the simplicity pilot watch.It doesn't have to be chrono. Must be white arabic numerial ,  black dial , leather strap, flat sapphire and diameter 40-41mm. That's it. I have the B&R steel 03-92 and want  to add some more pilot watch. Omega seem to be over my budget. I'd eyeing the Longines Avigation Bigeye Chrono, will check it out next week. The IWC Portofino also catch my eye, anyone here can pm me the best deal /discount for IWC.

Offline kukujiao

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2018, 02:52:20 PM »
iwc pilot chrono is more worth buying

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2018, 05:34:01 AM »
Most of my collection is diver watch. Got bore with bulky case , thick bezel, and round hour marker.  I kinda like the simplicity pilot watch.It doesn't have to be chrono. Must be white arabic numerial ,  black dial , leather strap, flat sapphire and diameter 40-41mm. That's it. I have the B&R steel 03-92 and want  to add some more pilot watch. Omega seem to be over my budget. I'd eyeing the Longines Avigation Bigeye Chrono, will check it out next week. The IWC Portofino also catch my eye, anyone here can pm me the best deal /discount for IWC.

This is the review on one of the watch sites for the IWC 36mm pilots.
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/new-iwc-pilots-watch-automatic-36mm

I’m sure you would be able to purchase it for around RM 12,000 if you looked around for a bit.

Offline maxthecat80

• Freshie
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2018, 07:02:51 AM »
Personally, i like the smaller size but I have to admit, fliegers have to be big though..

Biggest difference is the red arrow at the triple date window. This divides opinion, i know.. some hate it as its not really 'flieger' per se, but i think it adds aviator feel to the whole watch...

Plus if you are spending 10k+, it needs to be different. Otherwise on a simple ETA, might as well get Stowa/Laco?

Offline kukujiao

« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2018, 11:22:04 AM »
I think the pilot chrono best size is 42mm not 43mm

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk