Author Topic: My visit to Edoya in Tokyo (Not your average spot)  (Read 4554 times)

Offline takashi78

My visit to Edoya in Tokyo (Not your average spot)
« on: September 27, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »
Well we are a special/strange bunch.
The place i visited was in part due to the new found love for leather shoes and thanks to the internet these gems of a place is possible for someone outside of Japan to find out.

Whats so special about this places besides in business for 300 years already?

It still makes each and every brush totally by hand. Every single bit. :o

Some basic info:

Founded in 1718, they're currently operated by the 13th generation owner from the same family. Long considered as Japan's premier brush maker, much of their work are done in-house by hand under severe QC. While their repertoire includes over 3000 kinds of brushes, their clothes brushes and shoe brushes have gained much attention in recent time as more people are willing to invest in nicer suits and shoes.

Edoya hand-threaded shoe brushes were first sold over 20 years ago (mainly for pro use), but have gained immense popularity among shoe aficionados in recent years.

Each brush is hand planted and hand cut with precision, calculating the length and amount of bristles.

And yes, i went to a shop selling brushes!  :Laughing_on_floor:

Its located in a very non-touristy area of Tokyo, luckily it was very easy to find, just 5mins walk from subway exit.

Approaching the building.

Old world charm once you step inside.

Different type of brushed hanging from the ceiling.

Front reception area.

They even have tooth brush, not too sure i want pig or horse hair cleaning my teeth  :P

This is what i am here for, shoe brushes, different types for cleaning, polish, cordovan use etc.
Made from horse, goat and pig hair.
All different levels of hardness and thickness.

Even some comb.

The people there was very surprised that i know about their shop, i told them i read about them in a forum and also from a AD they had in Hawaii.
Looks like i am their first walk in Malaysian customer  ;D

Buying from them direct was 50% cheaper!

Hospitality was great as with all Japanese and thank GOD they had a person who can converse in simple English explaining all different type of brushes.

Hope you enjoy this little bit of Japan you dont often see.

:Cheers:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Re: My visit to Edoya in Tokyo (Not your average spot)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 05:42:08 PM »
Ahhhh.... if I knew about this, might as well tumpang you to get me a shoe brush... hehehe
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline takashi78

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 08:10:59 PM »
I totally forgot sorry bro.
Another reason for you to plan a trip to Tokyo haha.

Offline chrycket1976

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 12:02:53 PM »
Wow! This place is incredible. I make sure to include this on my itinerary in 5 months time. Oh I love Japan.

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »
This is very interesting indeed! I like reading less known destination like this that makes travelling much more interesting.

Thanks for sharing.