Author Topic: The Controversy of Rare Navy Blue Dial Rolex 6694  (Read 7517 times)

Offline Cocas

The Controversy of Rare Navy Blue Dial Rolex 6694
« on: August 16, 2017, 05:27:08 AM »
The blue dial 6694 with gold hour/minutes/second hands and hours markers is very rare and hardly seen in second hand market.

But the blue dial is always the subject of discussion and dispute.

I will reveal the viewpoints from different watchsmith and my own findings in later posts.

Now here the picture.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:11:15 AM by Cocas »

Offline Cocas

Re: The Controversy of Rare Navy Blue Dial Rolex 6694
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 07:10:32 AM »
Watchsmith 2 (my long time trust watchsmith that servicing my watches):

After I bought the blue dial 6694, I sent it to him for thorough checking and servicing.

As usual, he gave his professional comments to my watch.

He pointed 3 areas on watch performance and commented 1 area - the non-original dial used in the watch.

The watch performance points were shared by me in this post:  http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php?topic=6688.msg152542#msg152542  so I will not repeat here.

His comment on the non-original blue dial was devastating to me instantly. I was like : "Hur . What the XXXX! The blue dial is fake! So this is fake 6694  #@$^&^%$$&* :Scolding:, I was cursing it in my heart ".
Well, I kept my calm and quickly rushed to the seller to find out more details.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:12:32 AM »
Watchsmith 1 (also the seller):
I brought the watch back and asked further to confirm the blue dial 6694 is real or not :Mad:. The sales guy wearing a perfect infamous salesman's winking smile and explained to me patiently that blue dial 6694 is seldom seen in Asia region, especially HK, SG, and Msia. The cantanoness pronunciation of it sounds inauspicious to traditional Chinese. This is the key reason why it's so rare now. He continued explaining that he was a Rolex salesman before in SG, and he did handle the blue dial 6694 sales before. He further proclaimed that his watch shop only sells real stuff.
Well, his points are well noted by me. I would just have to keep searching for the truth. I was still uncomfortable with his "winking smile " face.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 07:13:20 AM »
My searching story and conclusion! To be continued......

Offline opp61

• Newbie to this forum
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 07:28:16 AM »
Can't wait for part two. 

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Cocas

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 07:58:53 AM »
Daa daa!  My final conclusion!

After months of searching, I found the answer. :Dancing_banana:

Luckily there is a blue dial buyer in Canada facing the same issue like me. And he checked his blue dial 6694 with Canada RSC.

Good news is the blue dial 6694 is real and it just discontinued from 80's onwards and there is no blue part available from Rolex nowadays.  :Jumping:

Attached herewith the link and write-up printscreen.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=208710&page=2

The takeaway from this case:
1. The winking smile salesman is telling the truth. Don't just people by their looks.

2. The professional watchsmith could be wrong due to he is not getting the full set Rolex reference record books. The judging on 6694 authenticity by using the latest 80's is certainly insufficient and misleading.

The result: I am a happy man. Although my blue dial 6694 is not yet registered with RCS and not sure it is using Frankenstein original blue dial or not.
But what really matter now is Navy Blue Dial 6694 does exist and I am happy about it! :thumbsup:

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 08:07:50 AM »
Pretty sure it exists as Chrono24 shows at least 26 models for sale overseas with Navy blue dials. Agree with you that they are uncommon this side of the world. However good for you to err on the side of caution if you are unsure.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline squasub

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 12:49:40 PM »
not a service dial?

Offline Cocas

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 01:00:47 PM »
not a service dial?

No, it's not a serviced or refurbished dial.

Too bad the rolexforums.com photobucket is not working. But I remember it looks like mine.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 09:41:41 PM »
Don't the dials have the proper markings underneath? Or did your trusted watchmaker not go to that extent to verify authenticity?

Offline Cocas

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 05:48:43 AM »
Thanks for your advice.

The serial code marking behind the 6694 dial? I am not aware of that. I will ask the watchsmith again.

The only option I got from my watchsmith to have further authenticity check, is to register with RSC. That will cost me another SGD 110. I tend to not doing it now until the watch needs the original part replacement.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 07:45:22 AM »
not a service dial?

No, it's not a serviced or refurbished dial.

Too bad the rolexforums.com photobucket is not working. But I remember it looks like mine.

Hi @squasub bro.

I managed to get Google archive picture of the Canadian guy blue dial 6694. Still can recognize the navy blue dial color from the picture.