Author Topic: Panerai PAM339 Radiomir Marina Militare 8giorni 47mm SIHH2010  (Read 23858 times)

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
I have had this watch for sometime, and never took the time to write about it. After many members asking me about the beauty of a black pam, i decided to take sometime and make some shots and write about one of my fav pams.
Please bear with me if i may be long-winded or may have missed some info.

Introduction
The PAM339 was a SIHH2010 release model, a very much awaited model which was not only controversial but in many ways different from the vintage i think.
Reason why i say this is because although it bears most of the essential characters of pam, but it looks very modern and un-vintage like. I will explain more below.
A total of 1500 pcs were made over a period of 2 years, and trust me it was a long wait. Some i know waited nearly 3 years for the watch.

History
Let me wind the clock back and explain why i think the above.
Main characters about the PAM339 which was so awaited for.

1) Marina Militare dial
As many may know, this MM dial is much sorted for as it's very rare and symbolises the essense of PAM (a navy instrument). Not many PAMs come with the MM dial. Examples are like the below.

** photos below are taken from paneristi and i have to give reference to the awesome ristis like Mr Sam Rotandi and Mr Socko himself

5218-202A (most famous MM pre-vendome used by rambo in his film)

PAM 36 (most sorted for MM dial post-vendome because of t-dial and 4 liner text)
photo below of a PAM36 and a 202A

PAM 217 (modern vendome piece 47mm)

PAM82 (modern vendome piece with blue dial)
see photo below for PAM36, PAM82 and PAM217

Aside from history and aesthetics, the main reason MM dials are so sorted for, is because it will be discontinued after the PAM339. Rumour has it that it's down to the ownership of this "marina militare" trademark. Hence Panerai announced the last model to use this to be PAM339.

2) 8Giorni brevettato
The 8giorni symbol is also referenced back to the vintages, mainly representing a movement with 8 days power reserve.
Models with the 8giorni dials are also very sorted out for as per below:

reference given to paneraisource.com

PAM341 (2009 - 60mm panerai)

PAM203 (2005)

3) Models with a combination of MM and 8giorni, are even more rare. only down to 2 models. and these didn't bear the 8giorni mark on the dial.

6152/1 Angelus

PAM 267 (only 6 made J series)

4) last of course, is a new material panerai coined as "composite". apparently this material is some sort of ceramic; derived from some sort of aluminium making it harder than steel but lighter than titanium. this is very true as once you put it on, there isn't much weight to it and it does not succumb to hairline scratches that easily.

What is in the package?
As you can see from the above, by featuring 3 main characters, sounds like a winning formula already right?
The PAM339 is a 47mm composite radiomir design case.

The radiomir case is far different from its luminor sister, where it's more classy and dressy, since it's thinner and much easier to wear for people like me with small wrist (6.2")

I have to say, although with all the main characters i've mentioned, it doesn't really look like a vintage watch. More like a modern piece, but i have to say, it's a very beautiful modern designed dial to me.

It comes with a crystal glass and solid case back. So only complain here is that there's no way of looking at the movement, or even telling how much power reserve is left.
You can imagine, winding 8 days, without knowing how many days left are there  :Scolding:
But i guess, even without that, it's still an awesome and beautiful piece to look at and to wear proudly.

What is in the package?
The PAM339 comes with the best OEM strap to date which is the assolutamente and of course a composite buckle.

Being a Special Edition, it's given a big presentation box to fit its status. No complaints here.

Overall Build
Since day 1 the watch has been great for me (almost 10 months), and has not given me any particular problems. It feels great to wind and it feels well made.

However, there are some risti members complaining about a small case of discoloration.
I will not go into detail here as I have not seen any of the pieces i know of to discolor. Also there's only a small number of people complaining, and Panerai does offer replacements. So i treat this as a small and unrelated matter.

Comparison with Other Models

here's a comparison between PAM249 47mm and PAM339

here's a comparison to include PAM232 47mm

here's a comparison between PAM339 and another 47mm PAM372 luminor case

Wrist Shots
Of course i cannot forget about the wrist shots!
** strap used is a simona large scale vintage gator

Special Column - DIFFERENT SHADES OF BLACK
Normally i would end my review here, but this time because it's my first dark colored watch, i'd like to share some of my views.

Panerai make 3 types of dark colored (or black/brown/etc) watches now - PVD (pencil gray), ceramic (dark black) and composite (dark brown).
PVD of course is favorite with its 2b pencil metalic feeling.
Ceramic is sort after being the cheapest black material watch.
Lastly, composite is new and untested, so we will only know with time to come.

Please see below for some photos i prepared between a PAM28 luminor power reserve (PVD), PAM292 radiomir ceramica (ceramic) and PAM339 (composite).
Pardon my iphone photos as i didn't have my SLR ready.

PAM 292 left and PAM28 right

PAM 28 left and PAM339 right

PAM 339 left and PAM28 right

Also some photos of buckles, differences can be seen clearly:

that's all from me guys this time. i hope the above didn't bore most of you (especially those who don't fancy panerais, i know they are just 3 digits to you, but to people like me, they are so much more fun and meaningful).

till next time  ;)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:32:17 PM by dsiewmy »

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Panerai PAM339 Radiomir Marina Militare 8giorni 47mm SIHH2010
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 01:25:22 PM »
thanks bro.
i've learnt a lot from your posts.

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 02:06:09 PM »
Thanks ...poisonous man....

A review like this is dangerous...informative, full of photos .....and a beauty of a watch. ......

More please ! More.... :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 02:08:19 PM by pexus »
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline gloomis

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »
great review.....lucky i immune system is still stronger than this 3 digit. hahaha....

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 03:27:48 PM »
thanks bro.
i've learnt a lot from your posts.
thanks bro for your kind compliment. i'm still a newbie with pams, just that i like to share what i learned, so the curve is not so steep for the others.

some do say it's only 3 digits, but to me it's not that simple.

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 03:30:17 PM »

A review like this is dangerous...informative, full of photos .....and a beauty of a watch. ......

LOL, i never intended it to be dangerous  ;D

if u would like a certain review for a certain PAM, you can request. let me know what you like and i can review it for you.

i thank the stars because i have access to quite a number of panerais, so a review can be arranged as long as the watch is not too rare (especially the vintages, the pre-Vs, pre-As, those would be tough).
but a certain modern model wouldn't be too tough.
the thing i like about being a risti is, all ristis share their experience, so even if the watch is not mine, i can grasp owning it by just talking to the owner and feeling the watch for awhile.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 09:14:13 PM »
Nice review of a nice watch. The PAM00339 is such a controversial piece, what with the points you rightly pointed out and the rumoured unavailablility in Italy via authorised sources.

It is indeed sad to see Panerai 'lose' the right to use the Marina Militare name after such a long relationship between Panerai and the Italian navy. It is a pity to see the company the Italian Navy/ government has decide to co-operate with has decided to work with Locman and MMT500 instead of Panerai. Oh well, life goes on I guess.

Anyway with regards to the issues related to the material used, I guess if both sides (complaint and fan boys) can act and discuss in a proper manner, perhaps more can be learnt about the coating, choice of material used, what is actually wrong or what went wrong. It is a great learning opportunity missed.

Offline darrencw

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 11:58:43 PM »
i had the opportunity to molest this particular pam. the dial is beautiful and the pictures can't really tell. the color of the dial 'changes' depending on the lighting. too bad the movement isn't visible ...

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 08:38:53 AM »
Nice review of a nice watch. The PAM00339 is such a controversial piece, what with the points you rightly pointed out and the rumoured unavailablility in Italy via authorised sources.

It is indeed sad to see Panerai 'lose' the right to use the Marina Militare name after such a long relationship between Panerai and the Italian navy. It is a pity to see the company the Italian Navy/ government has decide to co-operate with has decided to work with Locman and MMT500 instead of Panerai. Oh well, life goes on I guess.

Anyway with regards to the issues related to the material used, I guess if both sides (complaint and fan boys) can act and discuss in a proper manner, perhaps more can be learnt about the coating, choice of material used, what is actually wrong or what went wrong. It is a great learning opportunity missed.

thanks bro.

i read that panerai decided to postponed the introduction of PAM375 and PAM386. u heard anything the same?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 09:17:41 AM »

thanks bro.

i read that panerai decided to postponed the introduction of PAM375 and PAM386. u heard anything the same?

Lots of rumours flying about with some saying it will be mid year, some with reliable info saying that it has been withdrawn, some boutiques saying its next month (and very month after that) and what ever else. It is interesting to note that it is still on the latest price list (April 1st price increase). So we wait and see.

Offline WilsonWS

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 01:25:37 PM »
Thanks again!

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 02:16:35 PM »
Hi Derek,
Great write-up on the PAM339 which is worthy of a true paneristi. I particularly find the history and background information very useful, not to mention the mouth watering pictures.
Thanks for taking the time to prepare this and sharing with us.
Looking forward to your next review.

:Cheers:

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 08:25:35 PM »

LOL, i never intended it to be dangerous  ;D

if u would like a certain review for a certain PAM, you can request. let me know what you like and i can review it for you.

i thank the stars because i have access to quite a number of panerais, so a review can be arranged as long as the watch is not too rare (especially the vintages, the pre-Vs, pre-As, those would be tough).
but a certain modern model wouldn't be too tough.
the thing i like about being a risti is, all ristis share their experience, so even if the watch is not mine, i can grasp owning it by just talking to the owner and feeling the watch for awhile.

wow derek...this is opening up for more poisoning... ;D
I think any review on any piece will be much appreciated...looking at the response to the 372, 390 and this thread...most of us will eager follow...
even if its a simple honest comparison of 112 with 000 also will be informative!  :thumbsup:
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline ckng515

• Merchants
    • WISparadise
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 10:55:14 AM »
Bro,
Great review!!
Very informative and poisonous. ;)
What i received from official source regarding the new composite ceramic model, namely PAM00375 and PAM00386 both have been delayed until next year. :-\

cheers,
ck
For More Updates please visit my online store at:
https://www.facebook.com/wisparadise

Offline GlySinn

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 09:19:36 PM »
Thanks for the informative review and beautiful(and poisonous) pictures.  :thumbsup:
It was an enjoyable read for me. More reviews please!

Offline mcc1177

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 04:39:33 PM »
Someday i gotta get my hands on one of those watches..

Offline SeaDwellerR

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 03:39:50 PM »
Great review

Thanks for sharing

this 339 will be a legend...

Offline Scuderianer0

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »
huge congrats !
gonna be a future classic  !

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 07:57:54 AM »
Thank you bro. dsiewny.
That was a good write-up/review on the 339 and I particularly love the history information.
I have learnt a lot on PAM from your posts.
Have a Great Day!  :Cheers:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 12:22:47 PM »
So is your PAM suffering the same "defects" in the metal like many others?

Offline sandtroop

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 11:59:58 AM »
Very good and informative review. I have seen a few pieces but only one with the bubble defect on the caseback and its among the earlier batch. Some that I have seen recently have been holding ok without the coating/material defect

Offline veege

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 07:24:31 AM »
Great review! I have looking the Pam 422 vs 372..

Offline MY1

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 03:30:49 PM »
I am always a big fan of Panerai.