Author Topic: Grand Seiko  (Read 7909 times)

Offline David_cheong

Grand Seiko
« on: May 05, 2009, 10:13:04 AM »
Hi,
Went shopping with my wife at the Sunway, the last Sunday. Drop by at the Moments and noticed that most of the price range for the grand seiko which was marked at round rm22-26k (months ago) was 'reduced' to price at around rm14-16k for the same model.. Now,is it a good buy or it just me and my 2 cents.

Your thought? :Confused:

DC
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Q

• Freshie
Re: Grand Seiko
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 12:10:51 PM »
Hi David,

I have been lusting after the GS and Credors since I saw them sometime ago in 2005 in Bangkok. It was a humbly RM10,000 for the basic GS there. I was astounded when during the hobby of watch hunting (not synonymous with buying) I came across MOMENTS and was aghast with the price I even told them humbly of thier error that I ll fly to Japan and buy one with some to spare(just flighting the ball higher). Anyway now at that price its more near earth. If not consider lobbing it over the post. And spare the goal. Thats all.

Look forward to see one at the next gtg.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 12:43:17 PM »
rm22k  :Scolding:

they will never sell.... not even a piece i guess....
those who know how to appreciate GS will sure do their home work.....

i dont want to see GS in next GTG... its very poisonous.....

i would love to see GS build bigger in future.... probabaly 42mm just nice.....

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:08:26 PM »
Oh..Ho

Someone getting poisonous. Hope it is not a tempt here.

Why, the other day I have handle a Orient Star King / Or Grand Orient Star (to that effect) could not remember the proper name. This particular model is different from the 'normal' Orient watches that I used to feel. This OSK has a sturdy and a smooth feeling, made of very high quality stainless steel- very much to the likes of the GS. The movement also wobbles like a 7750.
I was told not many of this OSK lying around in the market. I was nearly poison but hold onto my horses.... :D

DC
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:16:43 PM by David_cheong »
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:32:35 PM »
i saw a orient star 300m professional diver.....

WOW....the case finishing, the dial, the hand.....

i'm stunned.... the only thing holding me is the price...
it is around rm3k!!!

if it is price around rm1.5k like  seiko sumo.... i 'll definately go for it...
same as the citizen autozilla..... both over price to me....

marine master at least is different class... in terms of finishing and movement!

Offline sshark

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 12:39:14 PM »
Any idea what makes the mvmt wobbles in 7750 and OSK? Btw, what are the GS models that fell into the RM13~16k bracket? GMT? ;D

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 01:05:25 PM »
Not too sure about these GS model displayed in the show case at the rm14-16k. But they look like many of the date-just's look to me. Some on (jubilee) bracelet and some on leather strap. They have the same classic look like rolexes. (which I like).

And as for the wobbles in the 7750 movement, maybe some 'sifu' here could enlighten us?. (could it be that the rotating balancer weight spins super fast?)

DC

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 08:59:02 PM »
it just purely design.... because of the weight of the rotor.... make it spin.... it will wind faster...

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:40:25 PM »
Oh..Ho

Someone getting poisonous. Hope it is not a tempt here.

Why, the other day I have handle a Orient Star King / Or Grand Orient Star (to that effect) could not remember the proper name. This particular model is different from the 'normal' Orient watches that I used to feel. This OSK has a sturdy and a smooth feeling, made of very high quality stainless steel- very much to the likes of the GS. The movement also wobbles like a 7750.
I was told not many of this OSK lying around in the market. I was nearly poison but hold onto my horses.... :D

DC

Danny posted the Orient 300m review sometimes back (http://tamhk.com/mwf/index.php/topic,9.0.html) is it this one?

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 07:38:34 AM »
Scott - Thanks for 'highlighting' the review again.

I could have missed out that one. Not, It is not the one I saw.

The one I saw is a dress watch with an 'opening' that exposed the fine mechanical works. (not to be mistaken that there are two version of this model in the market)
I was told this particular model (Orient Star) is an export model from Japan.

Picture shown here is stated as only 'Orient' on the dial

Borrowed picture
[img]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:27:42 AM by David_cheong »

Offline takashi78

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 08:56:07 AM »
Hi David,

This is my first post here hello everyone !

I have the exact model below.

When i bought this watch i was told that the movement only is Japan made and the others like dial and casing and such is assembled in HK.

You can move up one step higher to the Orient Star line which is 99% the same except for blued hands and better oyster looking bracelet.

Offline Alvin-8880

Just curious, Takashi...
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 10:54:12 AM »
are u a Japanese or a M'sian with Japanese name? U seem to know Japanese watches well.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 11:48:25 AM »
I'm Malaysian Chinese haha...just been using this nick since the old cyber cafe game days thats all. ;)

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 11:49:35 AM »
Takashi - Welcome to MWF.

Bingo. You got that exactly what I wanted to elaborate.
There are two version. The Orient Star line is with the blue hand and better (solid) bracelet, which is an exported model from Japan.
The one shown here (pic) with only the word 'Orient' on the dial is another version / model.

Say, tell us a little bit about yourself. You a local / Malaysian / with (Japanese) name?

Cheers
DC

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 01:10:31 PM »
takashi... welcome! hope your japanese nick can show us more japanese watch!

Offline sshark

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 10:02:50 AM »
Made in Malaysia Seiko watches, perhaps? :)