Author Topic: Noob advice needed on my 1st automatic movement watch  (Read 6780 times)

Offline erman

Noob advice needed on my 1st automatic movement watch
« on: July 09, 2012, 01:45:42 PM »
Hi Guys/Sifus,

After months of browsing around, finally pulled the trigger on my 1st automatic watch.
An Oris BC3 Advanced day/date. Loved it purely because of the clean & faced dial with date and day display

Image sourced from the Oris website.
Sorry, office webservers block most of the photo sharing websites, thus can't upload any personal photos  :HammerHead:

Watch was meant to be a wedding gift for myself, means i'm only allowed to wear it after the wedding (another 5 months down the road). Will be travelling a lot in the upcoming months and will be away physically from the watch, hence my concern.

A couple of questions from a watch newby such as me for best maintenance of the watch.
Hope you guys can help out.
- Do i need to wind the watch frequently? or can I just leave it as is 5 months down the road until i get married and not worry about anything?
- If answer to the frequent winding above is yes, how frequent? (daily/weekly/monthly?)
- Was thinking to just leave it as is and worry about it once i'm able to wear it. Any problems/irregularities, send to service center as its under 2+1 warranty.. or is this not advised?

Suggestions/Advise are very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:45:53 PM by erman »

Offline gck

Re: Noob advice needed on my 1st automatic movement watch
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 02:16:17 PM »
buy chunk into drawer and forget about it. Watches like this is rugged and does not required a lot of TLC....
don't worry, a lot of watches also stays in shop for donkey years before being sold as old new stock.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 02:16:17 PM »
Basically there should not be any problem leaving the watch as it is. Some watches have been in storage or even on the dealers shelves for months. My first Omega was on the shelves (in a number of countries) for 2 years before I got it (this was during the days when Omega was pretty open about their watches and where it has been).

Offline erman

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »
thanks hobbit & gck. makes perfect sense..

As my intrigue into mechanical watches deepens, I'm looking into owning a manual winding watch in the not so distant future.Still looking for the right piece.
Which comes to further questions,

watch winders are used for storing/maintaining these manual winding watches & make them tick.. correct?

Seeing that most members here maintain/own/in possession of >5 watches, mind sharing your maintenance routine?
what i mean by this is, from what I've gathered from this forumn is the average WIS here has more or less 6 watches with multiple functions & complications/ mechanical varitations..
To maintain, do you buy a couple of watch winders and leave the rest to daily wrist rotation.. or is there any better way?

thanks

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »

watch winders are used for storing/maintaining these manual winding watches & make them tick.. correct?

Seeing that most members here maintain/own/in possession of >5 watches, mind sharing your maintenance routine?
what i mean by this is, from what I've gathered from this forumn is the average WIS here has more or less 6 watches with multiple functions & complications/ mechanical varitations..
To maintain, do you buy a couple of watch winders and leave the rest to daily wrist rotation.. or is there any better way?

thanks

Common watch winders you see are for automatic watches. Watch winder for manual wind watches are not cheap and hard to come by.

As for me, I wind my manual wind watches everyday. As for the automatic, if it has quickset date, wind when want to use. If no quickset date, wind everyday.

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 05:18:35 PM »
Hi erman, Its good if at least you could wind it once a month . if it still gives you accurate time, forget about servicing it. rolex only advice to do it every 5 yrs.., sometime in the shop they do wind the watches.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 05:24:50 PM by tonykpk »

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 08:47:20 PM »
Why restrict yourself from enjoying your new purchase?
And you have to wait another 5 months down the road to only wear it!.. :Blue:

Many of us could not wait another second to put on their wrist.

My 2 cents tell me that you should enjoy every moments right on your wrist after you purchased it.

Who knows, after the initial purchase you may be looking another mechanical time piece to accommodate your first oris.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline erman

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 08:49:41 AM »
Agree with u dc, i'm itching to wear the piece straight away..But as i explained earlier, its meant as a wedding gift.
Malay customs make a big deal out of exchanging gifts n so on during the solemnization day.
So, I have to be patient till the day comes.  :Scolding:

I'll only be able to enjoy the watch if I pull the trigger on another piece before the wed date.

Ahaa, now there's an idea.. but where to find the money? haha  :HammerHead:

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:26:11 AM »
Simple la...

Just warp and seal the (empty) boxes to do the exchange.

After all no one knows what is inside...except your fiance and yourself....

For our custom?, the bride and groom wear the gold article given to them earlier. Just exchange the box as token...just my 2 cents.

(sorry, this comments is going out of topics).

Btw, all mechanical watches are alright with just leaving them for a couple of months....without any winding whatsoever...

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 03:55:55 PM »
Congrats on the Oris BC3, erman.
But need to wait till year end before you can enjoy it on your wrist.  :Blue:
Anyway, Oris is a good brand.

Once again Congratulation on your marriage and the acqusition of your watch!

Offline Cocas

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 09:11:48 PM »

thanks

Common watch winders you see are for automatic watches. Watch winder for manual wind watches are not cheap and hard to come by.

As for me, I wind my manual wind watches everyday. As for the automatic, if it has quickset date, wind when want to use. If no quickset date, wind everyday.

"no quickset date" :shocked1:

Meaning your watch is perpetual calendar or annual calendar watch right!

Must be a very nice piece :thumbsup:

Offline Olkuu0205

• GLORIOUS TIMEPIECE GTC 8 STUDIO (JR0140366-M)
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 03:23:56 PM »
Oris is a nice quality watch although not come with crazy price . Haha
A GENUINE WATCH COLLECTOR

Offline kfkwan

• Freshie
  • You pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 08:12:39 PM »
Oris is a good entry level swiss watch brand. You will never go wrong with that.

Offline andrewhtf

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 03:17:26 PM »
Guys, i think by now not only he has worn the watch, he is busy trending to a kid or two already