Author Topic: MWF Vintage Gathering @ RSGC 10/5/2014  (Read 9766 times)

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
MWF Vintage Gathering @ RSGC 10/5/2014
« on: May 10, 2014, 07:47:31 PM »
We had an superb gathering this afternoon which started at 12 noon and lasted till……5pm….  :o :Startled:
5 solid hours of food, beer, feasting our eyes on watches, networking, exchanging information…

Its amazing how watches can bond complete strangers at their first time meeting.. :Cheers:

I was busy taking pics of each and every watch…62 all in all from only 5 contributors..
I actually missed out chatting with each and everyone of you….. :-[
I even forgot to take pics of my own humble 5 pieces compared to many rare and priceless pieces present which comprised of the following :

PP, JLC, IWC, Glashutte, GP, Rolex, Omega, Tudor, Heuer, Zenith, Galet, Universal Geneve, Lemania, Bulova, Longines, Breitling, Enicar, Vulcain, Lip, Wittnauer, Zodiac, Grand Seiko, Smith.

This huge and widely diverse collection comprised not only vintage but also antique watches.
Amongst the valuable watches were PP, double Red Seadweller.
Present were also very rare vintages which I'd never come across.
I can't even imagine the total value of all the watches present today.

I am truly priviledged to be in the company of such astute collectors. :thumbsup:

Thanks must go to each and everyone of you present for making the great effort.
We even had 2 collectors who drove from Melaka and Singapore for the event.  :thumbsup:

I hope each and everyone of you had a great time.

Lastly but not least, our thanks goes to Chang for being such a very gracious host the entire afternoon.

Please enjoy the pictures and my apologies to some owners for not doing justice to their priceless vintages/antiques as some pics were out of focus...

Some owners are camera shy and have requested that only watch pics be posted..

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:57:19 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
Re: MWF Vintage Gathering @ RSGC 10/5/2014
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 09:12:59 PM »
Many thanks again to Jos for organising the event and spending time taking the photos, and to Chang for being such a gracious host. My wife and I had a very good time knowing and chatting with all of you. Nice ambience and great company.  :Cheers:

We are humbled by the marvellous collection and mouth watering pieces which we are so privileged to see and touch.  :P
Truly awesome!

Thanks for a memorable afternoon. Look forward to catching up again in future.

Cheers
A & SW

"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 09:57:12 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o

How I wish I can be there!

U guys must hv a great time!

The vintage rolex sport watches is   :thumbsup:

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 10:33:18 PM »
Too bad i cannot make it this round..... :Blue:

Hope to join you guys next time........
Jacky Wong

Offline rainbowfix

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 12:20:14 AM »
Many thanks to Chang to host us n Joseph did a great job organising this nice gtg. Looking forward for more future gtg.

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 01:03:21 AM »
Awesome  :thumbsup:, enamored by the charm of all the vintage rolex shown.

Once again, thank you JOS for the great photos taken and sharing.

Really poisonous stuff we have here.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 08:01:49 AM »
Thanks @TSW@.
It would have been great if you could have made it but your earlier remarks are noted.
OTOH the major vintage collectors had their concerns regarding security in view of the value of their collection (not just monetary but more importantly, emotional attachment). Hence they much preferred RSGC as the venue.
We may have to find a 3rd alternative venue the next time round…or a different timing of the event to accommodate you.

Awesome  :thumbsup:, enamored by the charm of all the vintage rolex shown.
Once again, thank you JOS for the great photos taken and sharing.
Really poisonous stuff we have here.

Tentatively 3 months from now if there are enough additional vintage pieces to share..otherwise 6 months…
BTW KK, you are the vintage equivalent of meoramri with your watchcase of rare vintages….. impressive and I must say you have the tenacity to hunt each and every piece down….I cannot imagine the time and effort taken to find all those pieces as well as the willingness to take risks in some con cases..

Thanks for making the effort to travel the distance and in selflessly sharing your huge rare collection

Many thanks to Chang to host us n Joseph did a great job organising this nice gtg. Looking forward for more future gtg.

Pleasure is mine. You and your wife's gracious company was much enjoyed by all and your enthusiasm is obvious given that you spent the precious sacrifice of 5 hours even though yours is a homecoming trip from a distance.

Many thanks again to Jos for organising the event and spending time taking the photos, and to Chang for being such a gracious host. My wife and I had a very good time knowing and chatting with all of you. Nice ambience and great company.  :Cheers:
We are humbled by the marvellous collection and mouth watering pieces which we are so privileged to see and touch.  :P
Truly awesome!
Thanks for a memorable afternoon. Look forward to catching up again in future.
Cheers
A & SW

Hopefully the next gtg will be as good if not better with additional rare pieces.
The Rolex sports pieces esp. the DRSD is awesome (that piece is now on my list of grails) but the other rare pieces were as fantastic as well when the owners explained the unique & different mechanisms of each piece……. an invaluable experience not easily replicated

Too bad i cannot make it this round..... :Blue:
Hope to join you guys next time........
:o :o :o :o :o :o
How I wish I can be there!
U guys must hv a great time!
The vintage rolex sport watches is   :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:15:30 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline el118

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 11:40:37 AM »
Thanks Dr Chang for the arrangement and JOS, the de-facto organiser for the coordination. a nice saturday gathering with lots of rare gems.

JOS will claim the inevitable path of watch collection is to go vintage!!! :Cheers:

Offline llcj

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 01:47:44 PM »
Wow Joseph, very efficient... and professionally done too. Thank you so much for the work done here and organising the GTG. And of course a big thank you to Chang as our generous host! It was great to meet all of your guys and learn from the sifus. Thank you. Definitely look forward to the next one.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 02:56:12 PM »
Hi James,
Yesterday was a Sat so had some free time.
Not professionally done la. The lighting in the restaurant was challenging due to rainy weather and I didn't bring a macro lens for the watch shots.
Had to make do with the wide angle and crop a lot off.
You're most welcome on the gtg. I had a great time drooling over your sports Rolexes too…. your DRSD will haunt me for a long time..
I think we all learn from each other and complement each others' strength and weaknesses in horological knowledge, hence there is no such thing as sifu really.
Hope to see you join in other gtgs in future and glad to have finally met you.

Wow Joseph, very efficient... and professionally done too. Thank you so much for the work done here and organising the GTG. And of course a big thank you to Chang as our generous host! It was great to meet all of your guys and learn from the sifus. Thank you. Definitely look forward to the next one.

I certainly do not want to be the de-facto organizer…
You guys must take turns..
As to going vintage, I honestly think I'm not vintage collector material...
Vintages are a minefield with franken and fake watches.
You need a lot of patience in research not to fall in the pit. (John Mayer, a supposedly astute vintage collector ended up with fakes)
And I'm not a patient person.
On top of that I like my stuff looking new and without imperfections and its very rare to find NOS vintages.
I'm lucky with my Mk4.5 and KS, 2 of my very few and simple vintages.
KK is helping me with something I liked in his collection.. see I'm even too lazy..

Thanks Dr Chang for the arrangement and JOS, the de-facto organiser for the coordination. a nice saturday gathering with lots of rare gems.
JOS will claim the inevitable path of watch collection is to go vintage!!! :Cheers:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:24:40 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 07:55:20 AM »
Extraordinary collection!  :o. My Top 3 favorites are...
1) JLC Memovox
2) Zenith El Primero
3) Glashutte
...heck, I love them all!  :thumbsup: