Author Topic: Lexus CT200h or Golf TSI ?  (Read 46037 times)

Offline Alvin-8880

Lexus CT200h or Golf TSI ?
« on: September 02, 2011, 10:17:40 PM »
Dear All Forumers,

This has been a tough decision for me beside choosing watches  ;D

Anyone of u mind to share your experience if u own any of the above? What are the pros & cons, and notes worth taking as a owner? The CT200h is RM 10k more than the Golf TSI OTR. Note that it is a Hybrid thus exempted from Import & Excise duties. Thx All.

Alvin C.

Offline peanut

Re: Lexus CT200h or Golf TSI ?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 11:03:05 PM »
These are two different cars.  You should choose one based on what your needs.  One is a hybrid car with very low power, good brand name/image and possibly slightly bigger space than the VW.  If you are one who want to save the environment and want something different, get the Lexus.  Knowing Lexus, I am sure the build quality will be good but prepare to pay for the long term service cost as there will be no one who can service this car except Lexus itself.

The VW is a much more fun car with almost 160 HP twin turbo engine.  It is the next best thing to GTI.  The DSG gear box is fantastic.  With a little tuning, it can even whack a 325i.  The issuer for VW is there are too many Golf out there.  I would prefer the Scirocco.  In term of driving fun, there is no comparison.  It is a driver's car. 

If you want a boring car, good for environment and have your friend think that are are richer than you actually are, get the Lexus.  If you enjoy driving, a fantastic gear box and can chase down a BMW or MB, get the Golf.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:07:45 PM by peanut »

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 03:09:57 AM »
Peanut is correct

I tried both. The Lexus was under powered to me. It uses the same engine as the the prius. So me and the missus concluded same car but with a much better interior. Also there are 2 specs for the Lexus, the lower one is rather low as compared to the higher spec.

Now the Golf is another story :) In fact as mentioned they are 2 different cars and even the sales person didn't want to compare as they are 2 different cars. More power, fun to drive, responsive and sexy! Not that small to me and built was good. Interior was nice as well.

You can guess which we chose :)
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 07:04:24 AM »
I will go with Lexus, pleasure driving and I just love the Dashboard...and environment friendly... :Dancing_banana:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 07:14:41 AM »
Golf. Nuff said.  ;D
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 07:38:45 AM »
Golf... with no doubt... :thumbsup:
Jacky Wong

Offline peanut

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 10:54:37 AM »
I will go with Lexus, pleasure driving and I just love the Dashboard...and environment friendly... :Dancing_banana:
To me, an underpowered car cannot be a driving pleasure. However, I can understand someone else may derive a lot of pleasure driving a comfortable car lumbering around in it's anemic power.  Driving pleasure is about how a car handles from the superb transmission, suspension and power plant. 

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 11:36:05 PM »
Thx all for the precious opinions.

I do agree Golf is a better driver's car whereas CT200h is perhaps more comfortable & luxury. Seriously, if not because of the duty exemption of around RM30k-40k, choosing the Golf would be no brainer.

Still tough choice though... ???

Offline peanut

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 08:10:48 PM »
IMHO You should compare the actual selling price and the fact that Lexus has RM30-40k exemption tax should be irrelevant in your decision.  Since they are in the same price range, you should evaluate them using your criteria but not factoring how much you "save" on the exemption tax or the original Lexus price should be higher.

Like most people said, these are apple and orange.  The fact that you are considering them together makes me wonder if you are clear about your needs.  This is like I will never consider a 7 series versus a Nissan GTR!  ;D

Offline siodee

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 08:13:09 AM »
To me, an underpowered car cannot be a driving pleasure. However, I can understand someone else may derive a lot of pleasure driving a comfortable car lumbering around in it's anemic power.  Driving pleasure is about how a car handles from the superb transmission, suspension and power plant. 

Everybody have different perspective on certain things, Yes, you may view Driving pleasure as to certain aspect. However, I view differently for the term "Driving Pleasure". If I were 20 years old younger, I would have go with Golf.  ;D

Just my 18 cents....
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Offline peanut

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 08:40:11 AM »
That's why I said "to me".  I would still go with the Golf even when I were 60 years old.   ;D

Offline Peiseh

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 05:02:02 PM »
If you have not made up your mind yet, perhaps the VW show happening this weekend may of interest to you.

Its at Bkt.Jalil and VW said it promises the best of motoring can give....

Offline siodee

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 12:36:30 PM »
I am going to see the VW show at Bukit Jalil, just to see whether can change my perception toward this car? Anyone going?

Offline siodee

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »
U mean those model? I am there to see them too... :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

hmmm, which watch should I wear....wonder...

Offline takashi78

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 04:30:11 PM »
This saturday?
Would see if got time to go maybe can meet up.
Whats at the show anyways?

Offline patek8888

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 05:31:26 PM »
I vote for Golf TSI. Any how it is still an European brand. Lexus is just a Kamikaze trying to be European class..... Still a Toyota anyway.
Patek Wong

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »
Hi All,

I will be there for sure, it is just 3 minutes drive from my house.  ;D

We should meet there with our watches, but what to wear, like what Siodee asked? Most of my watches are for diver or flyer. How come I don't even have a racer watch?  ???

Offline siodee

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 07:31:58 AM »
I can't go on Sat, I will go on Sunday, if any of you go on Sunday, let me know....I am there to take photo, of course spot some leng lui to cuci mata  :Laughing_on_floor:

As for the watch, still thinking which to wear, I don't have racer watch in my collection  :Confused:

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 07:42:03 AM »
I am going to see the VW show at Bukit Jalil, just to see whether can change my perception toward this car? Anyone going?

me! see you there :thumbsup:

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 09:32:20 AM »
Siodee: I thought you married with kid still out there looking at the market?  :Laughing_on_floor:

Have fun guys and pics please for this friend so far away  :Blue:
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline siodee

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 10:06:13 AM »
Sid, my bad, you are right, married with kids should not behave like that. But my camera need the chic attention, since I carry it, so I have no choice but to follow  ;D

So far on Sunday

1) Siodee
2) Omnipotent

siapa lagi???

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 10:08:24 AM »
Bro then if anyone i.e. wifey ask..."what are ALL these photos?!!!" you say for your friend far away in earthquake land...need some pics to see on his computer :)

Back to the thread...just get the Golf  :thumbsup:
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline ivanswk

• Res ipsa loquitur :P
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »
is the Golf  :thumbsup:

Offline zuki

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 12:34:59 PM »
These are two different cars.  You should choose one based on what your needs.  One is a hybrid car with very low power, good brand name/image and possibly slightly bigger space than the VW.  If you are one who want to save the environment and want something different, get the Lexus.  Knowing Lexus, I am sure the build quality will be good but prepare to pay for the long term service cost as there will be no one who can service this car except Lexus itself.

The VW is a much more fun car with almost 160 HP twin turbo engine.  It is the next best thing to GTI.  The DSG gear box is fantastic.  With a little tuning, it can even whack a 325i.  The issuer for VW is there are too many Golf out there.  I would prefer the Scirocco.  In term of driving fun, there is no comparison.  It is a driver's car. 

If you want a boring car, good for environment and have your friend think that are are richer than you actually are, get the Lexus.  If you enjoy driving, a fantastic gear box and can chase down a BMW or MB, get the Golf.
Agree...so get the german...

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 12:42:29 PM »
Sid, my bad, you are right, married with kids should not behave like that. But my camera need the chic attention, since I carry it, so I have no choice but to follow  ;D

So far on Sunday

1) Siodee
2) Omnipotent

siapa lagi???

ack...sorry la siodee...i tot you meant saturday. :D

So it should be like this....

Saturday:-
1) Omnipotent

Sunday:-
1) Siodee