Author Topic: The Rolex Daytona 116519 (Meteorite Dial) Review and my Journey  (Read 58550 times)

Offline Primus

The Rolex Daytona 116519 (Meteorite Dial) Review and my Journey
« on: December 21, 2012, 10:13:38 PM »
Part 1 of 6: The review

I have been hesitant in writing this review, as it’s pretty clear that Rolex is one of the more popular brand in this forum, with many experienced and knowledgeable sages. It would be like walking in the Rolex factory and telling them a review of the Rolex you bought! However, I wouldn’t want my little research I did go to waste and it might help out some guy like me in the future, I thought I’d post it up anyway. A little forewarning, please forgive any inaccuracies you guys will, without a doubt, pick up. As a reminder, I am relatively new to the wonderful world of watches and hope you guys forgive me for my amateurish review once again. This is my only second review I’ve done on watches. I do not claim expert knowledge in anything Rolex or watch, I confess to you upfront that everything below is from a newbie perspective and I’m writing this to help newbies only. For you experts please take this as a pleasure reading. Once again forgive my bad pictures, I really don’t know how to use this damn cameras. Hopefully someone in the GTG when I meet up can teach me how to take photos of watches.

-----------------

The nice outer box that comes with the watch

The newer type beautiful green box that holds the actual watch with the wonderful Rolex Crown showing right upfront

Ladies and Gentlemen I present you the Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116519 (Just to advert any confusion, the 116519 comes in Slate Dial or Meteorite Dial)
The watch comes with the normal card of authenticity, rolex service booklet, etc.

The Rolex Daytona was named after the Daytona International Speedway (more on the history of the Rolex Daytona later in my review)
Beneath the beautiful sapphire crystal, our eyes are straight away drawn to the unique feature of this particular model. The Meteorite Dial.

Made out of real meteorite, namely the Gibeon Meteorite, Rolex has managed to secure access to this out of the world material for the dial and I can say first hand, it is absolutely beautiful. The pattern you see is called the Widmanstatten Pattern and no two Rolex with meteorite dials have the same kind of pattern. In an ideal world we would be able to select and see different watches to choose the pattern that most fits us, but unfortunately in this part of the world, or rather due to the rareness of this particular model, we hardly have the right to choose. What you see is normally what you get. 

(Please see below on a brief personal write-up on the Gibeon Meteorite)

This Rolex Daytona 116519 comes in a 40mm Oyster case made out of White Gold which is beautiful in my eyes.  Most people not well versed in the brand or their knowledge of the Daytona brand will not know the difference between this and the stainless  steel version and I’m told this is a sought after aspect in the WIS world of watches. Only the initiated will know the true beauty of the case. On just a rough initial look, the white gold is more reflective than the stainless steel versions, which means under the hot sun, this baby will sparkle and reflect light like hell! But still very much readable I absolutely love it. Around the case we see the famous Tachymeter engraved into the bezel, used to calculate speed. I love the bezel, it’s one of the classic Daytona look. 

Positioned at the top of the 6 o’ clock, we can see a seconds counter. To the uninitiated, one might assume the central sweep seconds hand is functioning as the main seconds hand for local time purposes, however the central sweep seconds is used as a Chronograph function and allows an accurate reading of 1/8 of a second. The two counters at 9 and 3 o’clock respectively measure time in hour and minute increments, allowing a driver to map his course times accurately.

Another feature that is different about this model compared to the stainless steel and gold models is the Roman Numerals used in this particular model. While the roman numerals is not exclusively used in this model under the Daytona range, it is uncommon and not easy to find and most of them are the diamond covered models. This again gives this particular model another beautiful unique feature.  All hands and numberings (even roman numberals) for this particular model is made out of white gold.

Another feature worth pointing out is the red small hands that is unique to gold models.  The colour contrast between the red and the meteorite dial was the first thing that drew my eyes to this particular model. Magnificent!

The Rolex Daytona is powered by Rolex’s inhouse 4130 high-end chronograph movement. The caliber 4130 uses a column wheel design to engage and control the chronograph functions. Rolex uses an innovative vertical friction coupling for engaging the column wheel func¬tions. This particular design feature is evident when the chronograph seconds hand is engaged. This allows a very smooth start of the seconds hand when engaged and does not show a staggered movement at the start like many other chronograph watches. This not only results in a more beautiful watch but allows for more accurate timekeeping. This movement has 44 jewels that oscillates at a good 28,800 bph and has 290 components making the movement.
We see a lot of other watch manufacturers boast high number of parts for their movements, and I can certainly appreciate that, Rolex has taken another approach, indicating to their consumers that with less parts, they can obtain the same or better result, with less maintenance and also resulting in a more stable movement.

This model also comes with the famously marketed Parachrom Bleu hairspring.  Crafted from a paramagnetic alloy, the spring is unaffected by pesky magenetic fields and up to 10 times more resistant to shocks than normal springs.

The Rolex Daytona has a 72 hours power reserve, which I absolutely love, without the Chronograph functions on. If switched on, the power reserve is at 66 hours, which is still much better than the standard 48 hours that is now a common standard. And who wouldn’t want their chronograph function turned on all the time!? With the beautiful red hands all circling the dial, its very mesmerizing.

Have you been to a shopping mall and you see a guy constantly staring at his watch, whilst his girlfriend is hell bent on touching every clothing in shop? Nope, he isn’t worried about the time, he’s most probably admiring his Rolex Daytona.  “Go ahead sweet heart”, he’s probably saying,” take your time. I’m admiring time myself”.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:26:52 PM by Primuslim »

Offline Primus

Re: The Rolex Daytona 116519 (Meteorite Dial) Review and my Journey
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 10:15:28 PM »

The Rolex Daytona comes with a Triplock Crown which has a rubber seal, which you can see in the above picture when you unscrew the crown. (Tip: When spotting a fake Daytona, this may be one of the indicators if your model does not have the rubble seal) This automatically gives the Daytona a good 100 meter water resistant level. Having said that, this watch isn’t made for smooth graceful flowing water sports or water related activities. This watch is made for the hard, gritty, fast, sweaty, dusty, sandy, adrenaline pumped activity that is known as motorsports. Speed is the name of the game.

Here you can see the famous rolex crown logo on the er.. rolex crown, and the two pushers used to activate the chronograph features. The pushers have a screw feature where you have to unscrew it, much like a normal crown of a watch to activate it. This is an extra safety feature for water resistant. This also means, when in water, for the love of god, please don’t use your chronograph features.

Here is two pictures to show the watch with unscrewed pushers and screwed pushers.

Another unique feature about the Rolex Daytona is undoubtedly the feel and sound of the pushers when pressed. An extract from Rolex’s website will set the record straight. “ Rolex engineers have applied the move advance technologies to craft the  perfect spring to activate the chronograph mechanism when finger pressure is exerted on the pushers. The result is not only reliable operation of the chronograph, but also a crisp, clear “click”, well-known by the wearers of this one-of-a-kind timepiece.”

*applause*

Well said Rolex Website Copywriter! If you are new to the Rolex family, ask any Rolex Daytona wearer what is their top 3 favorite thing about the Daytona and you’re bound to hear them boast about the famous *click*. Move your fingers above the pushers and press down to witness the smooth movement of the chronograph hands resetting to their original position accompanied by the most wonderful organic *CLICK* sound that can only be done by a mechanical watch made with passion. I have owned a couple of other chronograph watches by other brands and by god, take my word for it. This Daytona is right up there with the big boys with this feature. Such an enjoyable feature, you can see me often in my office checking the speed of various objects just so I can click the damn thing. When someone asks me why I invest in expensive Swiss mechanical watches when an iphone or cheap quartz or digital watch does the same, I look at them with sad eyes, hold their hand and lead them to my table. Take out my Daytona and press the button. *CLICK*. “Can your damn iphone make a sound as good as that?”

Ok ok, I admit its not a complicated excitement or high, but it’s a simple pleasure more akin to sitting down on a rocking chair with a glass of nice scotch in your right hand and a cigar on your left and looking at the sun set. Its just…. Soothing.

This particular model comes with a beautiful brown alligator leather strap. And to people new to the Rolex family, all Rolex watches that comes with leather straps has to be a gold (yellow, white, rose) model. I say it’s a subtle way of showing off the watch.

Here we can see the beautiful flip lock oyster clasp first used by all Daytona models. The older Rolex watches or other models than Daytona uses the earlier stamped claps as pictured below:

In older Daytona models or in some non Daytona models still, Rolex used a clasp with a stamped piece of steel that closed via a somewhat spring loaded compressed fit. The above picture is taken from a current Yachtmaster model. The actual thin piece of steel provides a springy effect  but over time they tend to lose their compression and may inadvertently open. Rolex provided a safety flip lock clasp to hold the watch in place.

In the above Daytona claps picture, thankfully, Rolex has now changed the thinly stamped piece of metal to a solid stainless steel metal with a hole to secure the watch that feels substantially high in quality together with the flip lock clasp. It is also worth noting that all leather strap Daytona (yes, even the rose gold beauty) has not been upgraded to the latest clasps used by our metal bracelet cousin Daytonas which utilizes a spring in the flip lock that allows the flip lock to be released much easier. This is something worth noting when choosing to purchase the different models of Daytona, however this is a small price to pay and to me I don’t mind at all.

Like the new clasp design, the center of the clasp is polished. A lot of watch owners actually don’t like this new feature as this polished center actually attracts scratches easy as hell. To me, its absolutely beautiful and actually makes the watch looks higher class.

I wasn’t wearing a working shirt whilst taking this pic but I assure you, the clasps coupled together with a nice working shirt or suit totally makes you look very very high class. Yes I admit my polished center has attracted a few hairline scratches already, very minimal, just by touching a glass table. But it’s the price to pay for beauty.
To adjust the clasps on this leather beauty, all you have to do is use a thin blunt tool to poke the small holes at the side of the clasps to adjust it tighter or more loose. Thankfully, my Patek Philippe watch came with such a tool that I can also use to adjust my Daytona clasp.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:30:29 PM by Primuslim »

Offline Primus

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:16:38 PM »
Part 2 of 6: The Gibeon Meteorite

(All of the below is taken from various wonderful websites and I have merely compiled some of them to a nice writeup below)

------

The most interesting and unique part about this particular 116519 Daytona model is the dial which is made out of meteorite. That’s right, real meteorite from outer-space. In particular, the Gibeon Meteorite.

The Gibeon Meteorite was first reported in 1836 by Capt. J.E. Alexander. The meteorite  fell to earth in Namibia, Africa, approximately 12,000 years ago (unconfirmed?) but what is confirmed is that it was definitely pre-historic times. Isn’t that amazing? Talk about vintage lol. But what is more amazing is that the actual age of the Gibeon Meteorite, based on radiometric dating, is at 4.5 billion years. I think we must actually take a pause and consider the enormity of this. This particular rock has been floating around in space for billions and billions of years.
Not only is it possible that some dinosaur took a dump on this rock, but this rock may have been once an unknown planet. The Gibeon Meteorite is believed to be remnants of a long-vanished planet that was destroyed during the early years of our solar system, just as hard surface was beginning to form in the planet earth. The various remnants orbited around the sun in an asteroid belt for billions and billions of years until one day most probably due to impact with other planetary fragments, the meteor was sent flying straight to earth, particular in the region which was later termed Africa by the life-forms that evolved there, humans.

The main chemical composition of the Gibeon is:

90% Iron, 8% Nickel, 0.4% Cobalt and 0.04 phosphorus.

The Gibeon Meteorite is estimated to hit the top of the Earth’s Atmosphere at 64,000 miles per hour at a fairly low angle (like a rock skipping a pond), therefore breaking apart into countless small fragments all landing in the region of Namibia. The fragments are believed to be strewn in a field of 70 miles wide by 230 miles long (this is a very very big area)
It should also be worth noting that these meteorite fragments have been smuggled out of the country countless times in the past, and now the fragments are now protected by strict laws in Namibia and it is now an offence to move a meteorite fragment from its resting place.

From my understanding, this particular Daytona model should not last forever as there is a limited supply for the meteor dial. While the meteor dial is not rare today, I believe when supply runs out in the future, the value of this particular Daytona model might experience a pleasing hike.
The most important quality offcourse about the Gibeon Meteorite to us is it’s Widmanstatten Pattern.

This pattern is unique to metal bodies, such as meteorites, that have been formed in space. The crystalline structure happens when a molten metal meteorite having a composition of 90% iron and 10% nickel begins to cool. The cooling process however, must take place in zero gravity, as this will result is a very very slow cooling process, approx. 2 degrees Celsius per million years. To keep the scientific explanation short, the process to cool the meteor to 600 degrees Celsius, it takes approx 200 million years. When the Meteor is cooled to 500 degrees, the resultant crystalline structure of the metal mass is of a cross hatched formation now named as the Widmanstatten Pattern. (My god, that’s a long manufacturing process, even for a company as good as Rolex LOL, this watch probably has the longest manufacturing process of all its parts of all watches! I kid offcourse) This condition is not found on any metal bodies originating from our planet earth.

It is also worth knowing that no two patterns are ever alike, meaning no two of this Daytona dials will be the exact same. In the ideal world, you would get to observe a couple and choose the pattern you like the most, but because of the rarity of this particular model, you just have to hope for the best when you get yours.  It doesn’t matter to me though, the fact that my rolex is a unique one of its kind in the world makes it a pleasure to own by itself.

People believe that by wearing a meteorite jewelry one of the many properties is that it will calm your nerves and release tension
There you have it. A brief write-up on the Gibeon Meteorite. Offcourse the best part about all this is, that there will be no replicas or fakes for this particular 116519 meteorite dial model! This is because if a China Replica Factory wanted to make a replica, they have to fly up to space and re-produce the entire process in zero gravity for few hundred million years. Hardly a worthwhile venture I would presume. However this haven’t stop idiots trying though.

Have a look at this replica trying to fool people that it’s the Widmanstatten Pattern. Not enough close. So we can also now add another unique feature for the meteorite Daytona in that it is impossible to replicate.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:32:49 PM by Primuslim »

Offline Primus

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 10:18:48 PM »
Part 3 of 6: The Brief History of the Rolex Cosmograph Daytona

(This part of the write-up is in no way original nor is it researched by me. I’ve merely written this summarized write-up on the many many articles and forum posts I’ve found online into one nice compact reading. No pictures listed in this part of the review is mine nor do I claim to be mine. As always please don’t take any of the below to be fact, it is merely my interpretation of the details I’ve read online and may or may not be true)

----------

To talk about a brief history of the Rolex Cosmograph Daytona watch, one must revisit the history of automobile racing in USA, in particular, Daytona beach. And off course, when one talks about the history of automobile racing, we only need look to the legend, Sir Malcolm Campbell, The Speed King. Sir Malcolm Campbell, born in 1885 had a long and lengthy automobile record breaking career. He completed his Grand Prix career in 1928 and went on to break the land speed record one after another. To keep this write-up short, Sir Malcolm came over to Florida in the United States and decided to race his famous Blue Bird race cars on a beach called Daytona beach. Back then I assume there wasn’t that many long stretch of roads and the best place to set his speed records would be on the beach. Just on Daytona beach, Sir Malcolm broke five world land speed records.

We can see one of his successful attempts in this youtube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFrwbkfXNvE

The car looks exactly like the batmobile lol Doesn’t everything always looks cooler and better in the olden days?

It was during this period, Hans Wilsdorf (founder of Rolex) became very impressed with Sir Malcolm’s achievement, lifestyle and dedication to perfection which symbolizes the Rolex brand. As such, he became Rolex’s first long term Ambassador. There was even a Malcolm Campbell Rolex model at that time.

Sir Malcolm’s driving at Daytona beach had captured the world’s attention and Daytona beach became a hotspot for motor car racing. During that period a young man named William France Sr. also known as Bill France Sr. , an immigrant from Ireland and a big racing fan, set up a car repair shop in Daytona. However during 1935, Sir Malcolm Campbell and other land speed record competitors decided to move to Bonneville Salt Flats due to the deteriorating conditions of Daytona beach. As expected they took away the limelight and fans with them. The city officials desperate to maintain Daytona Beach as a hub for racing decided hosted the first stock car race in 1936 promoted by a local racer Sig Haugdahl. 

William France Sr. participated in the race and finished fifth. The race was marred with controversy as fans arrived without tickets, cars got stuck on the sands and many results was protested, the city also lost money on the race (sales from tickets was not enough to cover it and many fans turned up not paying). Mr. Haugdahl talked with William France Sr. and together they managed to organized another race in 1937. While less controversial the city lost money again on the race and Mr. Haugdahl decided to stop promoting these events. William France Sr. took over the job of running the course. Whilst under William France Sr. management the races continued and eventually in 1948, after discussing with other drivers, he founded NASCAR. William France Sr. was put in charge of managing NASCAR.

William France Sr then wanted to improve the existing track, to provide highest banking possible to allow cars to reach high speeds and give fans better view of the cars on the track. He met with the city commission whom supported his idea of such a track and leased him a parcel of land equal to 447 acres next to the Daytona beach international airport. After many struggles and sponsors including Pepsi-Cola and General Motors and from rich individuals, the track was completed in 1959. The Daytona International Speedway was created. It has since been home to the Daytona 500, the most prestigious race in NASCAR. The track was remarkable and true to his vision. 90% of the track can be seen at any one time from any seat.

Rolex offcourse with interest already into the automobile speed craze didn’t miss this chance for advertising. Here is a picture of an ad in 1960 showing William France Sr. marketing a Rolex Zephyr Osyter Perpetual.

Racing legend, Junior Johnson whom won the 1963 Daytona 500 was pictured wearing the same watch from the ad above

The link between Rolex and Daytona has been established. History is set to be made. (Does anyone else beside me think that Ridge Racer cartoons got their character model inspiration from Junior Johnson?)

The first Rolex Chronograph was the 6234 model introduced in 1955 (same year as our favourite GMT Master introduction! All you wearing your GMT master, right now wave your hands in the air!!! No no no… you with the GMT Master II put your hands down)

The term "Cosmograph" was registered and first placed in a Rolex watch dial in 1956 on an actual Rolex watch with a Moonphase. Thats right, the first cosmograph Rolex watch was not actually on a Daytona or Chronograph watch.

I don’t know about you guys, but have you ever wondered what the hell is the word “Cosmograph” doing on a Chronograph watch? Maybe we always skipped past the words when admiring the watch and assumed it meant Chronograph. Many theories to be had but the best I’ve found online is that it was inserted to reflect the moonphase complications on the above pictured watch but some people speculated that it was inserted in hopes that it would be adopted by the then very famous and news worthy space programs in US and Russia. THE SPACE RACE! However the bad boys in NASA didn’t choose the Rolex and went with … Omega Speedmaster to go to the moon… Boooo…..!!!! The rest is history for Omega *sigh* (hey you back there with the omega waving your hands.. put it down.. you won the battle but not the war. And no I deliberately did not insert the omega speedmaster picture in this write up)

The Rolex Chronograph term was inserted in the dial of their Chronograph watch right up till 1980s! After that onwards, the word Chronograph was then changed to Cosmograph.
If you find a Rolex Chronograph model 6263, you may find one that has the word Chronograph in it or the word Cosmograph in it. It is not a fake! It was just a name change by Rolex. That particular model actually has two variations

Anyway, in 1962, Rolex first used the words Daytona on their watches, which many identified due to the increasing fame of NASCAR Daytona 500 or more likely because of their homage to Sir Malcolm and his wonderful achievements achieved in Daytona Beach. Please note however, the watch used for this was not the watch that will eventually grow into the Rolex Daytona today.

In 1964 the grandfather, the original of the model that is the subject of this review, the Rolex Daytona first made its appearance. However at that time the words Daytona did not make an appearance.  Instead the words Rolex Le Mans Chronograph was introduced.

It makes it shudder to think that the watch we all love today could have easily been name Rolex Le mans. Hm… if I say it many times I guess I could get used to it. But personally I think Rolex Daytona just sounds more cool. Rolls off the tongue. In 1965 however, the Chronograph watch that was eventually designed to the watch we all love changed its name to Rolex Daytona. The words “Daytona” was introduced on the dial signifying the brand’s sponsorship of the annual 24 hours Daytona race.

The rest my friends is history.

The earlier movements for the daytonas right up to 1987 used a Vajoux sourced chronograph caliber 72. This was a good reliable movement however its weakness was that it does not have an automatic winding function and requires the owner to manually wind the watch constantly, resulting in poor sales and demand for the watch.

In 1988, Rolex introduced a self-winding movement, reference 16520 which uses a movement based on the Zenith Caliber 400 with some modifications. The Zenith Caliber 400 is a great movement and is one of the only self-winding movements at that time that met Rolex’s tough standards. Even so, Rolex modified the movement extensively adding:  a new escapement with a much larger balance spring for better accuracy and more importantly reducing the balance’s oscillation rate from 36,000 bph (beats per hour) to 28,800. Many would say this would be a downgrade, but Rolex felt that an oscillation rate of 36,000 bph is not necessarily required and would requires higher servicing due to its maniac speed. The finally modification which users up to day will resoundingly feel is to remove the date function from that movement (why??? Whyyyy!!!???).

Removing almost 50% of the parts from the Zenith Caliber 400, the final movement was called the Rolex Caliber 4030. The other changes made to the 16520 models by Rolex was to increase the case size from 36mm to 40mm. Just perfect. The 40mm size is right on the money in my opinion. I think it was the 16520 model that launched the success of the Daytona till today. Excitement for this particular model was a high and it was a resounding success.

In the year 2000 at the BaselWorld fair, Rolex unveiled the new Daytona Reference 116520, with the movement Caliber 4130. This create a huge buzz in the watch community as this was the first new in-house movement from Rolex in over 50 years. The movement was completely in-house designed and built with greater efficiency, stability, accuracy and serviceability. The movement also introduced a high performance “vertical-clutch” chronograph coupling mechanism. This is the mechanism that is responsible for the smooth absolutely precise starts and stops of the chronograph seconds hand, for which the Rolex Daytona is so famous for. The vertical clutch also allows the chronograph function to run continuously for extended period with no impact on the time keeping accuracy! This is very much in line with Rolex’s pursuit for perfection in timekeeping. This VERY mechanism is the sole part responsible for me to constantly enabling my chronograph function to be switched on and moving, giving me great pleasure in watching all the hands turn. If it wasn’t there, I wouldn’t dare use the chronograph function all the time in fear of it affecting the time accuracy. What an important addition!

Rolex also simplified the movement’s counter system, which runs the minute and hour counters) and used the freed up space to increase the mainspring barrel and hence the mainspring size. The mainspring as we all know provides the power for the entire watch and as a result the new Daytona now has a 72 hours power reserve! Wondeful! Even with the chronograph functions on, its 66 hours power reserve. The new movement also uses less parts than the old movements which means less servicing required. The other noticeable change is that the seconds counter was moved from the 9 o’clock position to the 6 o’clock position.

I should also note Paul Newman in this write-up. When Rolex launched the Rolex Daytona, it wasn’t a huge commercial success. Noone wanted to buy it and it could sit on shelves in local ADs for years to end. It wasn’t until a famous movie star and race car driver named Paul Newman, decided to wear the Rolex Daytona before it exploded in the watch enthusiast scene. Here was a cool, handsome, famous, rugged man wearing the Rolex Daytona and he does not take it off. What neat way to market your product! To say the words Rolex Cosmograph Daytona, the names Sir Malcolm Campbell and Paul Newman is always the words that follows.

Till this day, the models that Paul Newman wore, are auctioning off at crazy prices up to USD$250,000. They are rare and sought after, with the whole world in unision in acknowledging this important man's contribution to the fame and legend that is the Rolex Daytona.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:45:36 PM by Primuslim »

Offline Primus

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 10:19:47 PM »
Part 4 of 6: My personal journey to obtaining his beautiful piece

My journey to my first Rolex has been a lonely one, let me share with you my story in obtaining my first Rolex. Being a new watch lover and newbie in all things mechanical, I decided to strive for a luxury watch early last year. My first target and love was actually the Rolex Datejust with a Jubilee bracelet (two toned yellow gold and steel). I’ve always been fascinated by Rolex watches growing up and could never afford one anyway, but the all gold popular models have always troubled me. I love gold on my watches but too much can kill it, hence when I decided to get a watch and stumbled on this model it was love at first sight. However, during the middle of last year, I went to a business trip to China for 3 months, and something strange happened. Off course when one, goes to China, you will experience the imitation super mega shopping malls, which people happily brought me to. After 3 months of walking around these places, I came back and suddenly I just did not like metal bracelets anymore. Before China I was a big fan of metal bracelet watches, but I must have seen too much fake or imitation copies that I was put off. (Note: there is absolutely nothing wrong with steel or gold bracelet watches nor am I’m stating that there is no imitation watches with leather straps as well, it was just something that put me off, I can’t explain. Till today I’ve yet to own a metal bracelet watch till today. I reasoned it as taste change like when you suddenly not up to date and just can’t understand Justin Bieber’s music but still stuck with Guns n Roses). As I met more and more business partners and clients, I became more in love with the elegant classy leather strap watches. When I finally obtain a position where I could now afford watches of this stature, this year, I decided to do some real research on obtaining my Rolex and I stumbled on this baby.

The beautiful rose gold, brown dial, 116515LN Rolex Cosmograph Daytona. This was my first real introduction and in-depth look at the Daytona range. Not only does it come with my favourite Rose Gold (or Everose) material, it also comes in leather. I found one of the members of this forum (dpkong) who had a beautiful wrist shot of the model early this year, and the poor guy had to indulge and suffer my PMs pestering him on it. (The above picture was taken whilst purchasing my current Daytona, the nice SA allowed me to try all their models. I wish to point out also when Rolex use the words Everose, it is different than other brand’s Rose gold. Everose contains platinum along with Gold and copper whereas rose gold normally contains only gold and copper. This is a result of Rolex’s company owning all aspect of their manufacturing line even right up to the foundry that produces the metal! How fantastic is that!)

I was still hesitant on a Rolex with leather straps and I thought people don’t normally associated Rolex with leather. How wrong was I. It was a few months ago that I set out to obtain this watch. However, during my many drinking sessions or networking sessions with business partners and bankers, many of them actually warned me off the Rolex brand. The common view for many of them was that I should raise my budget and obtain watches made by brands like Audemars Piguet or even the ever beautiful Patek Philippe. The most comments I’ve obtained was that Rolex now a days has too many copies in the market, like the LV bags, and wearing one would be akin to wearing a fake or people will just assume it is. Another comment most associated with Rolex that I got was that wearing a Rolex would just indicated you’re a rich man son or person who don’t know anything about watches and just went and got yourself a watch to show off. Finally the comment I also received a lot was wearing one would just indicate that you’re just a typical china man. This is why I mentioned that my journey to my Rolex was a lonely path as many people I was hanging around with or asking advise from did not like the brand in particular. After months of thinking I decided to heed some good advice and went and purchase my PP (which was reviewed earlier).

The strange thing is, when I got my PP, and please don’t get me wrong the PP I got is still the best watch in my collection and close to my heart and I absolutely love it, but there was something missing still. When I put on my watches, I still look at my collection and don’t see a Rolex in it, something was not right. When I walk in malls, I still go in the Rolex boutiques and yearn for the watch. There is something not satisfied in me, as if there is a hole that have not been filled or a craving that has not been indulged. I finally figured it out… Deep inside I still wish I had gotten the Rolex I missed out on instead of the PP (Such sacrilege!!!! I cringe as I type this even!!!!). Despite hitting my target of the year with my luxury watch, eventually I knew I did not do the right thing by skipping this watch. I would have been better off obtaining my Rolex first, then the PP second.

-------------------

If there are any new watch collectors or enthusiast in the forum reading this, of all the useful advice you will undoubtedly get from all the masters, please heed this most important one from my humble self. Something which I wish I knew upfront and something I now know, something you will undoubtly face in your WIS journey and I’m sure all my WIS brothers have suffered through. That, when you finally choose your luxury watch, although it helps to get advice, different opinions and read reviews on your watch and trust me, you will get many different views, you absolutely have to go with what your heart wants in the first place. The first instinct you get will most of the time be the correct one. Buy the luxury watch as a badge of honor and not something you want to sell in the future and above all, don’t buy one to appease everyone else but most importantly to appease yourself. Don’t buy the piece which you think had a higher resale value in the future but that wasn’t the piece you really wanted. Don’t buy the one the crowd pressured you into, buy the one you held in your hand or saw online and fell in love with.

---------------

Anyway to keep things short, I decided to hit the market one more time to correct my error and obtain my dream Rolex. The problem now is with my PP in my collection, I have now two rose gold watches. Obtaining the 116515LN would not seem ideal. This is then I hit the wonderful 116519 White Gold, Slate Dial Daytona.

The grey dial with the red hands absolutely look beautiful in pictures as well as on the wrist. It’s a beauty and it looks like a proper sports watch. It also looks modern and young, which I love.  (Side note: I would have been as happy to own the above pictured slate dial rolex as well, it is truly a beauty and something everyone should consider. My horrible camera phone picture does that watch no justice, and you have to see it in person to witness something truly beautiful). However when doing abit of research on this model, I came across what would be my final purchase. The 116519 White Gold, Meteorite Dial, Daytona. Having said all of the above, I want to official state, that I have since came to love metal linked bracelets once again and have recently purchased a pre-owned GMT Master II, Pepsi bezel, and I love the metal bracelet feeling. I don’t regret buying my leather watch purchases but I’ve come to love metal bracelets once again and please don’t take my above statement as a dig or insult to metal bracelet watches. They are beautiful and fine.

Obtaining this particular Daytona is hard. For one, it’s one of the more uncommon Daytona Rolex models out there, to a point where when I try to enquire about this model with some SA in various retail shops, they normally have to surf the net to obtain the model and some even telling me they are sure this is a discontinued model. When calling different SA from different ADS, they normally would ask for some time while they quickly browse their product catalogue.

It is without a doubt a model you should not expect to walk into an AD boutique and expect to see it there.

Nearly all ADs will pass a comment that this is a rare model and they don’t get much enquiries on this. I feel this makes it more unique for me. After calling all ADs in Singapore and Malaysia, I came out with none holding this on stock, and all responses when asked, when they expect to get one, was that they really don’t know.

I therefore placed an order with a local AD, and low and be-hold, sometime later, I obtained a phone call. I was quite lucky in that I actually place an order right before the next batch shipment actually came.

Some useful info I obtained from many Rolex AD I called was that there is an expected price hike again for Rolex watches expected to be next month.

There were a few of these in the pre-owned market but they were going for a price so high i might as well buy it brand new! I found a 10 year old one going for RM71k! and a few 7-8 year old ones in Singapore selling for RM60-RM70k
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:09:40 PM by Primuslim »

Offline Primus

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 10:19:56 PM »
Part 5 of 6: Conclusion and Wristshots

Having done all my research and having personally own a Rolex I can give my humble conclusion. Yes, there is many fakes out there in the market. Yes a lot of people would associate people who don’t understand watches that buy the Rolex brand. But, there are also people who understands the rich history of the Rolex brand and appreciates the quality and workmanship that comes with this brand. No this brand cannot compete with higher brands like Patek Philippe, AP, etc. But the Rolex brand comes into a class on its own. Don’t make my mistake and hesitate to buy into this brand. Their watches are truly magnificent and a joy to own. I now understand why everyone says that every watch collection is not complete with a Rolex. It is true. Words can’t describe it, you have to own one to understand that statement. A few months ago, a fellow MWF member posted a very very very disturbing question, if you have to sell all your watches and only owned one which one would it be? At that time I was very troubled by that question and chose not to entertain such a horrible thought. At the time of this writing, I can safely say I would choose the Rolex (yes.. this includes selling my PP, oh no… I can’t bear the thought of that…. Wait.. wait… I‘ll choose to hold my PP and rolex, screw your insensitive and cruel questioning!)

This watch is absolutely beautiful when you want to dress up in a business suit or a nice long sleeve shirt but surprisingly for me, it also looks good in casual wear.

All in all, the Rolex Daytona is truly an iconic, legendary model.

Please enjoy my various wrist shots below:

The above guitar shots was me trying to introduce the watch in a more casual environment lol

The famous stainless steel models!:

I offcourse won’t be doing myself justice if I don’t try the classic stainless steel models. For many years the stainless steel models were impossible to find and purchase. Even if you had the money you had to be on waiting lists for years (some up to 3 years). The craze had died down slightly but they are still sought after models. The black dial model in Malaysia are termed as “Premium priced” in that the price for them are more expensive than the white dial ones as they are more highly sought. This means you can’t even ask for the normal AD discount on them! No way! They charge you MORE than market price to even buy one! How crazy is that! Haha absolutely fantastic is what I say.

Another unique feature is the addition of this nice cleaning cloth only comes with gold models. The SS models come with a cleaning cloth but its not of this same grade.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:10:53 PM by Primuslim »

Offline Primus

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:21:53 PM »
Part 6 of 6: FAQ

The questions below are some questions I had before I become familiar with the Rolex Brand and I only write them to assist any newcomers whom are not familiar with the brand or new to watches. All seasoned veterans please feel free to skip this page as I’m sure you know more than me on this area:

- Why do some Rolex watch comes without the green hologram sticker at the back?

After 2007, Rolex no longer uses the green hologram sticker on the back of their watches. I think they used it initially to counter fakes or imitation. Now they have the words “ROLEXROLEXROLEX” engraved in the inner bezel of the watch to make it harder for imitations to imitate. I think it looks good also. You can normally find your serial number of your watch in new models in the inner bezel just below the 6 o'clock position.

- Why is there no COSC  (Chronometer certification) paperwork with my brand new Rolex?
All new Rolex watch now comes without the COSC certificate and instead the famous brown seal that comes with your watch serves as the replacement for the certificate. So don’t throw yours away!

- What is with all the letters people keep referencing when they talk about their Rolex models, for e.g. A series, Z series, M series?

The letters mainly refers to the date of manufacture of the watch. These are loose reference to roughly what year the watch may be. However due to some watch sitting in the AD shelves for years or months, it cannot be served as a very accurate date on when the person bought that watch but it gives you a rough timeline. You can use this website as a reference: http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/numbers.html
If you get familiar with some of the numbering and letters, the next time you buy a pre-own watch and the person tells you this is an A series, you can proudly state “Oh must be bought in 1998 then” to impress the owner of the shop and more importantly tell him that you’re not a newbie and he can’t fool you as easily.

- How often do I have to service my Rolex and how much does it cost? Should I visit the official Rolex Service Center?

Your watch is a mechanical watch and like all things mechanical (like your car) you have to service your watch. There is no point in purchasing a beautiful watch like this and save on servicing costs. The official line would be to service your watch every 3 years. However most AD would recommend to service your watch only every 5 years. I take a logical approach to this. If you wear your watch only every weekend for example, and you store it in a dry cool place all the time with your crown tightly screwed. 5 years would be fine. However, if you wear your watch everyday or you use it for diving, racing, swimming, then I would suggest a service every 3 years as you want to check if there is any leakage for water.
An average service would cost within the RM1.6k to RM2.4k region currently. If you service your watch in an authorized Rolex Service Center all the time, they will issue you a wonderful 2 year warranty everytime you service your watch.  It becomes a new watch again! You can even sell your watch with an extended 2 year warranty. Why would you want to subject your watch to an authorized service? Having said that there are some very nice experts in Rolex servicing out there and I’m not trying to kill their business. For me personally I rather go back to the official RSC. It’s a personal choice.

- Whats with all this different movements I keep seeing for the Daytona? And why do people mentioned the Zenith movement for the Daytona?

Please see the above write-up on the history of Daytona

- Why do I see you having a microfiber glove in some of your pictures above? Who the hell buys a microfiber glove to use in their own home!

Well hold on there now buddy. I love to play with my watches and love to wind them up. I don’t keep any of my watches on winders. What I hate is the fingerprints I leave on my watches. When I use my cloth to wipe on part, the fingers holding the other part normally smudges that part. Its all frustrating. So I found a good online source for microfiber gloves used in all high end watch boutiques and I bought a couple so I can safely play and wear my watches without scratching them with my finger nails or putting rough oils on them! I can also use my fingers to wipe down my watch when wearing the gloves getting into those all too hard to reach places! I don’t see anything wrong with that!

- The watch says it has a 100m water resistant level. That’s pretty deep. Does that mean I can swim with it or dive with it?

Lets be careful here. All watch water resistance level is based on laboratory conditions. Meaning the watch was tested to be water resistant to that level based on optimal conditions of your watch and the water environment in a laboratory. Over time your watch will aged which means the rubber seal at the crown and every part will deteriorate (hence this is why you need to service your watch). This means your watch may not be as water resistant as advertised over time. Also water pressure is a funny thing to calculate. When you are moving your hands underwater whilst swimming, you are creating greater force on your watch during motion then just the watch lying there by itself. Hence, the general rule is, 50meter water resistant level normally means don’t let your watch touch any water at all! And yes that includes washing your hands after a messy durian encounter. At 100m resistant level, you may shower with your watch or even wash your car with your watch. But generally not recommended. At 150m to 200m onwards you can swim or do some basic recreational diving with your watch. Anything above that I doubt you will encounter unless you mixed with the wrong crowd and got thrown overboard with bricks in your feet. I try to never shower with my watch or do any hard manual labour that involves water with it.

- Whats the discount on these watches? Where is the best place to buy ?

Ahh relax Forum moderator, your trigger finger must have moved instantly to your mouse to censor this. All I can say is you can still obtain discounts on most Daytona models, all discounts are generally the same. What I normally try to look for is a good shopping experience with a very very nice SA. The general rule for these watches are the harder to find, the less discount you will get on them. Some Rolex models I’ve seen have huge discounts and some has none, and one (the black dial guy…) even has a premium price on top of the market price. If you guys want a good friendly SA, please PM me I’ll be more than happy to recommend the person I’ve dealt with.

- Are Rolex good investments? Do they have good resale value?

This is a hard question to answer. Like all things in life, the Rolex resale value depends on rarity, condition and fame amongst other aspects. In general, the watch with more precious gems or materials tend to lose their value faster than the stainless steel models. This is not always the case as i've found out but its a good general rule to follow. Almost all watch when purchased new will lose their value, some up to 10% to 20% instantly. How your watch increases in value is actually based on its retail price increase every year done by the brand. For example, Rolex has increased their price by alot in 2012 and if for example they increase their price again by 10% in 2013, your particular model resale value will increase with it as well after taking into account the 10% to 20% loss on the initial buy. As i'm not a watch investor or trader, i try to buy my watch not on resale value but once again as i've mentioned above on my individual preferences.

---------------

That’s all folks. Please forgive any inaccuracies once again. I’m very new in the WIS world and new in the beautiful hobby of watch collecting. Whatever I’ve tips I’ve written is merely what I believe and is not necessarily true. Please refrain from flaming it but I, as always, welcome constructive criticism and will willingly change any mistakes I’ve made which you experts will no doubt find.

I hope you guys new into the watch or rolex world found this somewhat useful in your pursuit. Thanks

(PS: MY GOD, after spending weeks on writing this i now only know what a damn long post i've done! I sincerely apologize to you guys for reading so much, please skip what ever you have to! This is surely my last time in writing so much, what an undertaking!)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:02:14 PM by Primuslim »

Offline nazren

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 01:24:00 AM »
Bravo...what a fantastic watch and review as well...congrats on yr purchase of this one of a kind timepiece...

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 05:46:24 AM »
Wonderful review sir !! Really an eye opener to see a rolex with meteorites dial. truly a beautiful piece you got there  :thumbsup:

Offline davidtth

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 06:04:18 AM »
one of the most beautiful daytona i ever like ! especially those red hand shows the sporty look like those car meter, with the rome wording and leather strap  :thumbsup:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 07:34:52 AM »
wow..now that's one really beautiful special Daytona that I could love to have but being in white gold and meteorite dial would most prolly put it way beyond my budget…
another excellent passionate write-up..I wonder what other jewels u have hidden..first a PP then a rare Daytona…..all in the space of less than 2 yrs being bitten by the WIS bug…

your financial freedom must have boomed exponentially the last few years…..
Hope to see both your meteorite Daytona & PP soon….

Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 07:53:21 AM »
Very nice n congrats very straight forward review . Something you might have forgot, the tachymeter engraved is different from the SS. There is something distracting me about the clasp on your watch, from 09 there seems to be a newer clasp . Pls check it out. regards tony..

Offline darrencw

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 08:08:48 AM »
Congrats, thats not something we see very often ...

Nice LP there too. You play guitars?

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 08:32:13 AM »
Great write-up and you've really opened up my eyes and heart towards an exotic dialed Rolex  :thumbsup:

A collection is not complete without an oyster and you've definitely chosen one o the best and unique piece. Again congrats and thank you again for the comprehensive write up.

As much as detractors would like to dis the Rolex brand, but no one can deny the heritage, innovations and dogged persistence of the brand.
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline Primus

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 09:01:04 AM »
Very nice n congrats very straight forward review . Something you might have forgot, the tachymeter engraved is different from the SS. There is something distracting me about the clasp on your watch, from 09 there seems to be a newer clasp . Pls check it out. regards tony..

hi tonykpk,

i did mention that there was a newer clasp in my review but all models in the daytona range except the leather strap range got upgraded. i was intially sad about it when my SA toold me that but i guess i fan live with it. I checked th rose gold choclate dial daytona that only came out last year and it too being a leather strap did not have the new clasp. im not sure now if its 100% true but is this what ure referring to?

Offline Primus

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 09:23:58 AM »
Thanks for your all kind words friends.

wow..now that's one really beautiful special Daytona that I could love to have but being in white gold and meteorite dial would most prolly put it way beyond my budget…
another excellent passionate write-up..I wonder what other jewels u have hidden..first a PP then a rare Daytona…..all in the space of less than 2 yrs being bitten by the WIS bug…

your financial freedom must have boomed exponentially the last few years…..
Hope to see both your meteorite Daytona & PP soon….

JOS2012, thanks for your nice comment. However on the part of buying the PP and Daytona, just as i mentioned it was a mistake on my part on getting my PP to early. I should have waited few years before obtaining that master piece. Initially my plan after obtaining my PP, was to wait a year or more before obtaining my next piece but i had to correct my mistake as described above :) So i dig around my finances, made sure family and business surivival and good continuity first, made sure savings is up to par and percentages set initially and finally made the decision to enter for the Daytona. However i certainly can't afford to buy any more luxury nice watch anytime soon as a result :) Having said that, my collection is actually not very impressive. Just one Richard Mille watch can squash my entire collection in value.

I actually made my purchases backwards. First the luxury model, then the sports model, and now finally the daily beater. lol

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 10:21:25 AM »
Bravo, One of the outstanding and classic review I read this far.

Thanks for sharing

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »
hmmm.
I said that myself many times although I'm not at such a high scale as yourself meaning PP & special edition WG Daytona.

Btw a RM will also squash my entire collection of > 10 watches also…. :Blue:

However i certainly can't afford to buy any more luxury nice watch anytime soon as a result :)

Having said that, my collection is actually not very impressive. Just one Richard Mille watch can squash my entire collection in value.

I actually made my purchases backwards. First the luxury model, then the sports model, and now finally the daily beater. lol
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 06:06:24 PM »
Wow... another fantastic catch. I've always loved this dial. I believe the clasp is correct for this watch. I have yet to see a leather strap Daytona with the newer style clasp (Correction.. I have just seen a picture of the 116515 with the newer style clasp). A fine range of watches you have now and I agree you got to scratch the itch. Oddly for me, even if I was offered an RM at a fantastic price, I would not want to own one. It's not the cash value of the watches you have that matters, it's how much you love them.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 07:42:04 PM by dpkong »

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 07:11:21 AM »
Wow... hat's off to you sir for a very detailed write up!!  :Cheers:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 05:31:44 AM »
Very informative and detail write up.. Btw RM 010 Ti price are slight higher (after discount) compare to your PP.. So still reachable..  ;D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:38:59 AM by dennis.T »

Offline SeaDwellerR

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 09:15:49 AM »
WOW   :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing!

Offline silverstan

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 04:06:41 PM »
enjoy to read your review!

Offline ranj85

• Freshie