Author Topic: Seiko Prospex Alpinist Solar Titanium Multi-Sensor SBEB013 - A Good Start  (Read 6498 times)

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
The Seiko Prospex Alpinist SBEB013 is my first solar, digital display and ABC (Altimeter, Barometer & Compass) watch from the Seiko family. For full write-up visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.my/2017/09/seiko-prospex-alpinist-solar-titanium.html

The SBEB013 is a solar powered watch. Information is generated on the large LCD screen digitally.
 It comes with a number of functionalities that makes it a very capable adventure watch. The Seiko caliber powering this watch is the S822 and it has the following functions:

• Solar power with 5 months of energy reserve plus a power saving function that can extend the functionality even longer
  • Chronograph (1/100 second measurement for 10 hours total)
  • World time (35 cities, 7 continents highest peaks, Mt. Fuji)
  • Perpetual calendar (until December 31, 2062)
  • Digital compass with magnetic sensor accuracy: ± 10° (measurement range 0 to 359°)
  • Digital temperature with sensor accuracy: ± 3° C (measurement range: -10 to 60°C)
  • Digital pressure with sensor accuracy: ± 3 hPa (measurement range 300 to 1100 hPa)
  • Digital altimeter with sensor accuracy: ± (altitude difference  3% + 30 m) for altitude 6,000 m or less, ± (altitude difference 3% + 45 m) for altitude 6000 m or more. Measurement range -699 m to 9164 m
  • Mountaineering data recording function to calculate the speed of the climb and the consumption energy among others; data can be recorded up to 15 times, 24 hours a day
  • Alarm (3 programmable alarm time daily)
  • Contrast adjustment function for LCD brightness
  • Water resistance at 10 atmosphere or 100 meters
  • Timing accuracy with average monthly difference of ± 20 seconds
  • Backlight function for dial illumination
  • [/l][/l]
Peer Comparison 
  Here is a brief comparison of some key variables of the SBEB013 versus two other ABC watches from my collection, the Casio (Protrek PRW 3000 T7) and the Tissot (T-Touch T091.420.44.051.00). 

Model Seiko SBEB013 Casio Protrek  Tissot T-Touch  Functionality ·           ABC ·           ABC ·           ABC  ·           Touch screen Power Solar Solar Solar Materials ·           Titanium  ·           Stainless steel  ·           Plastic resin  ·           Hardlex crystal ·           Titanium  ·           Mineral crystal ·           Titanium  ·           Sapphire crystal External controls None Radio controlled None Programmable Yes No No Bracelet extension Yes No Yes Price MYR1,826.69 MYR1,140.00 MYR3,280.00

Based on the table above, Seiko appear to have some premium over the Casio. However, in my opinion, based on just the functionality as well as other unique features, the pricing is slightly on the high side. It should be closer to Casio’s price point.

[/list]
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com