Author Topic: Watch for wife  (Read 9772 times)

Offline TickTock

• Freshie
Watch for wife
« on: September 10, 2016, 09:51:13 AM »
I'm looking at a new (to her) piece. I've narrowed it down to two choices, both quartz since she doesn't wear one often enough to keep an automatic running thus requiring resetting and she doesn't like that. I made the mistake of buying her a Bulgari automatic and although she loves the watch she will seldom wear it unless I reset it for her.

I'm look at and Audemars Piguet Ladies 33mm quartz and a Cartier Ballon Bleu quartz.

The AP is a 10 year old model 67601ST.ZZ.D002 recently serviced and polished but needs a new strap. Not a big deal since I was looking to replace it with something other than black. However I've heard just a battery change required a service since the movement must be removed from the case to replace the battery. New these pieces run close to RM 50,000 with this piece being RM 20,000.

A new Cartier Ballon Bleu costs roughly RM 12,000.

Both are stainless steel. The AP is on strap and the Cartier is on bracelet.

Does anyone think the choice for a 10 year old AP Quartz is worth it over a new Cartier Quartz?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. - Voltaire

Offline gchee

Re: Watch for wife
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 10:15:05 AM »
All i know is all quartz movement have limited lifespan. 10 years seem quite old.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 07:10:05 PM »
Between the two, I would go with the Cartier. Being a newer model and with warranty, it would seemed be the safer bet.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 07:46:24 PM »
How about a Lady Datejust + a winder if she doesn't wear much?

Offline TickTock

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 09:25:25 AM »
Thanks for all your comments.

I don't see a winder working for her for two reasons.
1. Burglary and the watch being in the open. I know a safe can be modified to have an electrical source for a winder but they take up a lot of room.
2. Its likely she wouldn't take the time and trouble to put it on the winder.

I will likely go with a new piece but it will be a quartz because after all, it's for her and it's what she likes. Unlike me, she is not a fan of automatics.

Happy wife, happy life.

If momma is not happy, no one in the house is happy.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. - Voltaire

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 11:28:10 AM »
In that case, the Cartier seems like the better choice.  :thumbsup:

Offline andrewhtf

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 04:59:48 PM »
I echo the others. Cartier gets my vote.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 07:41:33 AM »
My wife too does not like automatic and she like shinny stones.

Just sharing my wife experience.
She opted for Eco-Drive or quartz but after comparing the Tissot quartz battery and Eco-Drive capacity lifespan
 She chose Citizen Eco-Drive with small diamond bezel chronograph.

Nowadays Citizen woman diamond watches are getting less, and some Citizen diamond watches I only can find in Bangkok, and find none in Malaysia and Singapore ADs.

Offline andrewhtf

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 08:52:20 AM »

She opted for Eco-Drive or quartz but after comparing the Tissot quartz battery and Eco-Drive capacity lifespan

Nowadays Citizen woman diamond watches are getting less, and some Citizen diamond watches I only can find in Bangkok, and find none in Malaysia and Singapore ADs.

:thumbsup:

coincidentally i bought my wife an ecodrive too. she also has a Tissot (cheap quartz one la... the model number too long to quote) that she dont wear much (because sayang wor) and i thought of buying her one that she can abuse daily. it has the mother of pearl dial similar to her tissot - and as a bonus, sapphire crystal.

well, the best kind of feel when she likes the thing you buy for her.

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »
Citizen EcoDrive or Tissot Quartz not a bad choice for a start. I have bought both for my wife. Maybe next one will be the Cartier Ballon Blue quartz.  ;D

Offline bLastIn01

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 10:30:35 AM »
Bought this brand new for my wife on her birthday last year for 13k.

Offered her a preowned ladies yacht master but she prefer brand new. Yup my wife loves the blings and she doesnt mind automatic or quartz as long as she can wear it anytime without need to re-adjust date and time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tmsoo

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 03:21:17 PM »
If I were you, I will show her all the watches u hv narrowed down in your list. These watches are not cheap, therefore, don't buy it wrongly where your wife didn't like it. I have bad experienced once I choose a watch for my wife and she didn't quite like the design. Although she still keeping it n wear it but I know she prefer something else. Something she could choose for herself.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 06:03:05 PM »

:thumbsup:

coincidentally i bought my wife an ecodrive too. she also has a Tissot (cheap quartz one la... the model number too long to quote) that she dont wear much (because sayang wor) and i thought of buying her one that she can abuse daily. it has the mother of pearl dial similar to her tissot - and as a bonus, sapphire crystal.

well, the best kind of feel when she likes the thing you buy for her.

Hi @andrewhtf  bro.

This is my wife Citizen Eco-Drive , also a mother pearl dial.

Offline lovefoe

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 08:07:09 AM »
I will get rolex for my wife. The ladies watch looks much better than the men's one.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »
I was in a similar scenario some years back, looking for a watch for my partner. I went the AP route, and she was very happy. Only difference is that I was on the hunt for the smaller, Lady Royal Oak at 27mm. Initially, I wanted to find an automatic, but unfortunately lucked out (2 hours too late). Eventually settled for a quartz.

It has been 2 years now and still works great. But you raised a good question, so I've dropped a message off to AP and am waiting for a response. I'll share in here, if battery change requires a service (although being quartz, I do not see much work that needs to be done apart from some change of seals and lubricating).

Most important here is that you get your wife something she wants. Worst thing to happen is you buying her something she does not like!

Oh, my partner still wants a Ballon Bleu but I have told her to get it for herself :-)

Offline yippie123

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 08:39:55 AM »
Get a rolex sports model

Offline TickTock

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 09:01:46 AM »
You are absolutely right for recommending Rolex. It will hold its value and is in demand.

Having said that, Rolex makes close to 1,000,000 watches a year. Everyone has one. They are not as common as Casio's but they are certainly not rare and at a gathering you can bet there will be several in the room.

Not that AP or Cartier are considered rare. But they make far less than Rolex per year. (roughly 100,000 for Cartier and 30,000 for AP)

None of this ultimately matters in the end analysis. It's the watch that makes your wife's heart sing. Buying anything else is too much of a compromise.

I still have not bought my wife the new watch. There are events at the end of this year and in January that will trigger the purchase. I would prefer the AP. But this is not for me. And referring back to my third paragraph, my opinion does not matter. So the Cartier, which ialso has a reputation as a bit of jewelry, is the choice at this moment in time. It will be quartz because its what she prefers. She is not concerned with movement, the emotion of a mechanical watch or the complexity of a finely tuned movement. I guess you can say it's about convenience and about the bling.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 11:25:55 AM »
Rolex will always be evergreen- stick with a Datejust and you won't ever go wrong.

But you'll probably never look at selling it, especially since it will belong to your wife. So yes, the most important bit is that she likes the watch.

For me, I took a great leap of faith. My partner was not into watches or timepieces at all. Over the years, I'd bought her a Seiko and an Omega, but those were not able to pique her interest. However, when she got her AP, she fell in love and started to look for watches with me. I have tried to egg her on to getting a Rolex, but she is adamant she wants a JLC Reverso first, then a Cartier Ballon Bleu (although I told her I prefer the Tank), then maybe a Datejust.

Who knows, she might really like the AP (if) you get for her ;-)

Offline Timeless

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 06:54:45 AM »
vote for AP

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 07:06:49 AM »
That two tone AP is  :thumbsup:
Adam J
Currently own: Rolex GMT Pepsi 126710BLRO mark 1

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2016, 05:19:41 PM »
I was in a similar scenario some years back, looking for a watch for my partner. I went the AP route, and she was very happy. Only difference is that I was on the hunt for the smaller, Lady Royal Oak at 27mm. Initially, I wanted to find an automatic, but unfortunately lucked out (2 hours too late). Eventually settled for a quartz.

It has been 2 years now and still works great. But you raised a good question, so I've dropped a message off to AP and am waiting for a response. I'll share in here, if battery change requires a service (although being quartz, I do not see much work that needs to be done apart from some change of seals and lubricating).

Most important here is that you get your wife something she wants. Worst thing to happen is you buying her something she does not like!

Oh, my partner still wants a Ballon Bleu but I have told her to get it for herself :-)

Bro, where can I find this? Was thinking about getting my wife something for her bday. Anywhere in KL?
Adam J

Offline Isaac Tan

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 09:20:54 AM »
I am also looking for a Rolex which can suit my wife & I which is more unisex (she hardly wear watch) WMF Bros, got any recommendations? thanks in advance

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 06:35:22 AM »
Bro, where can I find this? Was thinking about getting my wife something for her bday. Anywhere in KL?

Hi bro, sorry for delayed response - not on here very much. That is an early 90s Royal Oak model, and long discontinued. Your best bet is preowned. I remember seeing some in a display window in Publika, although they have notoriously marked up prices. I paid under RM15k for two-tone quartz. Also, after contacting Tick Tock and clarified with AP, battery changes are free.

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2016, 05:47:25 PM »

Hi bro, sorry for delayed response - not on here very much. That is an early 90s Royal Oak model, and long discontinued. Your best bet is preowned. I remember seeing some in a display window in Publika, although they have notoriously marked up prices. I paid under RM15k for two-tone quartz. Also, after contacting Tick Tock and clarified with AP, battery changes are free.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, even though I think the watch is absolutely smashing, my wife is not into the Royal Oak design. She prefers the JLC Reverso or Cartier Tank. Shame.
Adam J

Offline Caseywai

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2016, 03:23:08 PM »
You are absolutely right for recommending Rolex. It will hold its value and is in demand.

Having said that, Rolex makes close to 1,000,000 watches a year. Everyone has one. They are not as common as Casio's but they are certainly not rare and at a gathering you can bet there will be several in the room.

Not that AP or Cartier are considered rare. But they make far less than Rolex per year. (roughly 100,000 for Cartier and 30,000 for AP)

None of this ultimately matters in the end analysis. It's the watch that makes your wife's heart sing. Buying anything else is too much of a compromise.

I still have not bought my wife the new watch. There are events at the end of this year and in January that will trigger the purchase. I would prefer the AP. But this is not for me. And referring back to my third paragraph, my opinion does not matter. So the Cartier, which ialso has a reputation as a bit of jewelry, is the choice at this moment in time. It will be quartz because its what she prefers. She is not concerned with movement, the emotion of a mechanical watch or the complexity of a finely tuned movement. I guess you can say it's about convenience and about the bling.

Was at Chanel flagship store at marina bay sands recently. Has your wife considered the Chanel boyfriend watch? Many models available, they are Quartz mostly but many designs. An alternative to Cartier tank maybe? Looks pretty nice and popular with ladies who prefer something that's not Cartier and Rolex perhaps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk