Author Topic: Mechanical Film Camera Versus Mechanical Watch  (Read 8616 times)

Offline Scott C.

Mechanical Film Camera Versus Mechanical Watch
« on: September 30, 2011, 09:35:14 AM »
I got the following article from one of the website... thought it maybe interesting to share :)

"I doubt anyone would deny that the Leica M6 TTL is a beautiful camera. Hand-built in Germany, and featuring a precision mechanical shutter and coupled rangefinder focusing, the all-metal Leica M6 is designed to “get the shot” no matter the impediments. It’s the very antithesis of most modern cameras, with their designed-in obsolescence and build quality to match. To many, a Leica is the equivalent of a fully-mechanical Swiss watch — a desirable object of quality and craftsmanship that, ultimately, is outperformed by inexpensive modern replacements. It’s a popular analogy, and one I’ve read many times. It’s also fundamentally flawed.

The flaw in the theory that equates Leica film cameras with mechanical watches is one of function. Specifically, watches tell time, and cameras take pictures. Time is not open to interpretation. Time is objective. Hence, a device designed to monitor time is either right or it’s wrong. There may be varying amounts of wrong — for example, one watch might be wrong by 1 second, and another by 3 minutes — but there is a single, absolute function that a watch must perform, and its quality can be measured and discussed in absolute terms.

Photographs, on the other hand, are open to interpretation. They’re subjective. Two people can look at the exact same scene, but perceive it differently. The eyes, brain, and psychological makeup of each individual all influence how they interpret the scene. There is no such thing as a right or wrong photograph, and every camera — even digital cameras — will record a scene with subtle visual differences. If there was only one correct way to render a 2-dimensional image of a 3-dimensional scene, digital cameras wouldn’t feature “picture styles,” like vivid, landscape, or portrait. There would be no Photoshop! Nor, in the days before digital, would there be different types of film, developing chemicals, or paper. Thus, the common wisdom that digital is “better” than film is a purely subjective opinion. The fact is, digital is not “better” — and neither is film. They’re just different, and each has inherent strengths and weaknesses."

Offline Watchnewby

Re: Mechanical Film Camera Versus Mechanical Watch
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:54:22 AM »
Interesting article, Scott.

I still have a mechanical film camera, Vivitar 1000N still in working condition.
Used it in -0 degree Celcius condition (in winter time) also still workable.

Offline watchtime

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:10:05 PM »
I have owned a Yashica slr, 2 nikon FE, a Nikon FM, 2 NikonFM3a, 2 Ricoh GR1s, a Olympus 35R/finder
 plus more than 10 ais lens. All sold . I came close to buying a Leica M7 for about 7K body only but
did not bcos the lens will cost another 7k.

The problem with film negatives is you need to find a good developer. Send the same negatives
to ten developer and you get ten different quality. Before i went digital ,I shot mostly slides for
5 yrs bcos of this.

I really like those heavy metal old style slr and rangefinders so I have booked a Fuji X10 just
based on looks alone how about that?

Offline ballaviator

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 08:57:19 PM »
Great article Scott ,

Watch time: usually c41 should be consistent unless you are talking bat black and white developing. Therefore, I do self developing in order to obtain consistent results

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 07:58:22 AM »
Great article Scott ,

Watch time: usually c41 should be consistent unless you are talking bat black and white developing. Therefore, I do self developing in order to obtain consistent results

Need to learn how to develop film ;)

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 03:07:47 PM »
I have owned a Yashica slr, 2 nikon FE, a Nikon FM, 2 NikonFM3a, 2 Ricoh GR1s, a Olympus 35R/finder
 plus more than 10 ais lens. All sold . I came close to buying a Leica M7 for about 7K body only but
did not bcos the lens will cost another 7k.

The problem with film negatives is you need to find a good developer. Send the same negatives
to ten developer and you get ten different quality. Before i went digital ,I shot mostly slides for
5 yrs bcos of this.

I really like those heavy metal old style slr and rangefinders so I have booked a Fuji X10 just
based on looks alone how about that?

Wow! So many film SLRs.
Now is the digital world, looks like "if you can't beat them, join them!"
Me too, getting a digital SLR body to match with my old SLR lenses.

Offline watchtime

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 07:53:30 AM »

Need to learn how to develop film ;)
[/quote]

Did that when  i was member of photo club school years.
Can still remember the smell lol

Offline watchtime

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 08:05:35 AM »

Wow! So many film SLRs.
Now is the digital world, looks like "if you can't beat them, join them!"
Me too, getting a digital SLR body to match with my old SLR lenses.
[/quote]

When D7000 came out I regreted selling all my manual lens. D7000 can meter with ais lens.
After selling all the flim I got a D40 and a D80 with 18-200VR lens. This lens selling
like hotcake then very diff to find. Sold after having a lot of fun learning digital.
Just sold my S95. Next Fuji X10 ? Canon S100? No more slr for me. Ha Ha

Offline watchtime

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 08:21:22 AM »

I drool when I see a Leica M but the truth is they will soon end up like typewriters
and become expensive paperweights.

For those who do not know you can see a large collection of Leicas  both new and old at
a shop in jln PUDU. PM me if you need name and add.

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 08:24:42 AM »

I drool when I see a Leica M but the truth is they will soon end up like typewriters

For those who do not know you can see a large collection of Leicas  both new and old at

I think i know which one... is there a gentleman call Raymond there?

Offline ballaviator

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
The shop is Keat camera.. They have lots of leicas but very expensive..

P/s: I don't mind having a black and white development session but each of u might need to have yr own black and white films to start

Offline watchtime

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 01:13:55 PM »

I think i know which one... is there a gentleman call Raymond there?

Yes. Deal with him if you want to buy or deal with his father if you want
to repair. The rest blur blur one.

Offline watchtime

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »
The shop is Keat camera.. They have lots of leicas but very expensive..

P/s: I don't mind having a black and white development session but each of u might need to have yr own black and white films to start

I thought we are not allowed to mention shop name?

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 09:20:05 AM »

Offline watchtime

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 06:13:55 PM »
my first camera