Author Topic: Rolex Vintage Watch?  (Read 10405 times)

Offline dcssb

• Freshie
Rolex Vintage Watch?
« on: November 12, 2018, 05:31:57 AM »
Is a Rolex Vintage watch something people will want to buy?  I can see quite alot of Rolex Vintage watches in Chrono24.com being advertised, but don't know whether sales of such watches are many or that people prefer to buy Rolex modern ones.  Rolex modern watches I consider to be quite expensive, even if they are used ones.... Although I have purchased several brands of watches like Seiko, Longines, Raymond Weil, Citizen (new ones) over the years, I only have a single Rolex watch, which is Vintage.  :-\

Offline rainbowfix01

Re: Rolex Vintage Watch?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 08:11:16 AM »

Is a Rolex Vintage watch something people will want to buy?  I can see quite alot of Rolex Vintage watches in Chrono24.com being advertised, but don't know whether sales of such watches are many or that people prefer to buy Rolex modern ones.  Rolex modern watches I consider to be quite expensive, even if they are used ones.... Although I have purchased several brands of watches like Seiko, Longines, Raymond Weil, Citizen (new ones) over the years, I only have a single Rolex watch, which is Vintage.  :-\

Yes. There is a huge market for vintage Rolexes. Maybe a little smaller in Malaysia..but huge overseas. Especially Rolex sports model like Subs.. GMTs .. SDs.

If you want reliability, buy new. Just my personal opinion.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline dcssb

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 04:14:58 PM »

Yes. There is a huge market for vintage Rolexes. Maybe a little smaller in Malaysia..but huge overseas. Especially Rolex sports model like Subs.. GMTs .. SDs.

If you want reliability, buy new. Just my personal opinion.

Well, the vintage models you mentioned that there is a huge market are sports models.... the Rolex vintage I have is a manual winding one which I don't know whether internationally, there are still high demands, locally, quite definite the demands are very little and limited ...  :-\

Offline koryong

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 07:41:28 PM »
Ya better not buy Rolex vintages ... leave them to the silly collectors ....  ;D

Offline Henry T

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 06:40:30 AM »
If you think modern Rolex are expensive the vintage ones are even more ridiculous.

By vintage it doesn't really mean the 6694. Even then a nice example of this model can sell for about RM 9k.   :)

Offline dcssb

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 05:56:31 AM »
If you think modern Rolex are expensive the vintage ones are even more ridiculous.

By vintage it doesn't really mean the 6694. Even then a nice example of this model can sell for about RM 9k.   :)

Thank you for your comment and opinion... Rolex watches are a well known brand for a long time... in fact, I consider it to be a privilege to own one, whether it be a current model or a vintage one.

As for 6694, which I have one, and since I am not really wearing it constantly, I am considering disposing it, but I don't exactly know where to dispose it at the amount you mentioned, plus or minus.  Will appreciate any suggestion you may have.  :)

Offline Henry T

Rolex Vintage Watch?
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 07:02:56 AM »

Thank you for your comment and opinion... Rolex watches are a well known brand for a long time... in fact, I consider it to be a privilege to own one, whether it be a current model or a vintage one.

As for 6694, which I have one, and since I am not really wearing it constantly, I am considering disposing it, but I don't exactly know where to dispose it at the amount you mentioned, plus or minus.  Will appreciate any suggestion you may have.  :)

RM 9k is the price of one pristine 6694 I saw at a grey market dealer. There are several such dealers in the Klang valley. You can try going there to get a valuation on your watch.

The 6694 is many people's entry into Rolexdom because it is affordable. I sold mine more than ten years ago for 3k.

Insofar as watches, we have hobbyists and collectors or those who are a bit of each. Hobbyists buy them, wear them and sell, and buy again. A collector buy only and hardly sells.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 07:07:10 AM by Henry T »

Offline dcssb

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 08:00:43 AM »
Thank you for the information about such watch dealers available in the Klang Valley.  This is the first and only watch I am thinking of disposing, and sorry to say, I am not familiar with where the watch dealers are in the Klang Valley.  If I can get to where I can get a valuation for my watch, I will certainly go to those dealers.  Appreciate it very much if you can help to get me the names of places of these watch dealers to get a valuation.  The only one I know is Wing Wah watch shop in Subang Jaya.  Thank you so much for your comment.

Offline koryong

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 08:14:16 PM »
No offense intended but since the 6694 has a relatively low entry-level price point, its value cannot run very far off .... they go for anywhere between RM6-9k retail. That might seem like a huge 50% diff, but in absolutes, it's only 3k between the lower & upper limits.

If you want to post some pictures here, I am sure there will be a few forummers who are happy to help with their input.

Alternatively as you already mentioned WW in Subang, they do charge a small fee for an official valuation. You might also want to check their websites or even Mudah to get a feel of rough market prices.

Good luck.

Offline dcssb

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 05:38:04 AM »
No offense intended but since the 6694 has a relatively low entry-level price point, its value cannot run very far off .... they go for anywhere between RM6-9k retail. That might seem like a huge 50% diff, but in absolutes, it's only 3k between the lower & upper limits.

If you want to post some pictures here, I am sure there will be a few forummers who are happy to help with their input.

Alternatively as you already mentioned WW in Subang, they do charge a small fee for an official valuation. You might also want to check their websites or even Mudah to get a feel of rough market prices.

Good luck.

Thank you for your comment... will post some pictures here, once I get them sorted out.

I know that WW in Subang Jaya charge a fee for an official valuation if one does not sell the watch to them after their valuation.  Mudah has alot of people who are interested to use whatsapp only to chat on advertised products; these people will ask for your Bank details saying they will do a "direct payment", which I don't believe it at all - Mudah informed me they may be scammers who do that, and asked me to chat in Mudah for serious buyers.

Anyway, what I am commenting here about placing adverts in websites like Mudah or Carousell or any other such websites, do be careful of such scammers.  :)

Offline dcssb

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 06:44:31 AM »
This is the Rolex Vintage Watch model 6694 I have:  :)

Offline rainbowfix01

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »
Nice

Offline h.chang

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 07:12:12 PM »
Nice Rolex 'precision' watch. How is the movement like? This movement has been used to plonk into a fake Gold case , to be sold as a genuine gold Rolex watch. Price is willing buyer and willing seller. Dealers have to make a profit when they buy or sell.

Offline dcssb

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 03:07:10 PM »
Nice Rolex 'precision' watch. How is the movement like? This movement has been used to plonk into a fake Gold case , to be sold as a genuine gold Rolex watch. Price is willing buyer and willing seller. Dealers have to make a profit when they buy or sell.

My watch has a movement which is quite quiet, and it seems to be normal (to me).  Mine is a genuine Rolex (have sent it to RSC before for service, when it was not so expensive), so, did not hear the movement to "plonk"  ;D.  Only thing I don't have on hand now, is the Cert. & casing.  Understand that watch dealers will want to make a profit when they sell - so, if they buy, the price will be cheaper (could be much cheaper with some dealers).  Anyway, appreciate your comment.

Offline eugenegan

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 02:11:30 PM »
I would start with a ref 5500 airking for vintage Rolex  :Cheers:

Offline mh17

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 07:58:40 PM »
Almost any Rolex sport model is in high demand at the moment, both vintage and modern, but I believe vintage ones are unique and have more character

Offline wwf

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 09:46:44 PM »
it was a huge market , especially in china and HK, lots of collector

Offline Hermanyee213

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 10:28:47 AM »
DEFINATELY WORTH TO COLLECT ROLEX ONCE IN UR LIFE

Offline Hermanyee213

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 10:30:26 AM »
BTW ISIT CHRONO24 CAN BE TRUSTED?

Offline watchpassion

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 07:18:43 PM »
I thought is good to invest in rolex vintage at the moment, prices are mild compared to Japan. Vintage will always hold good value.

Offline Watchgrocer

• Freshie
    • Join us on our Facebook page
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 11:13:20 AM »
Well, it's rolex after all.  ;D
Regards,
Cheng, Watchgrocer

Offline edwin880721

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 09:28:41 AM »
Vintage is the final phase of watch collecting. I would like to look at those new watches before going in to vintage. Need to learn some knowledge to avoid being conn by resellers. Its a dangerous world of vintage  :D

Offline xxx2299

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2019, 04:56:02 AM »

Very nice PRECISION with solid round tritium dots.

Offline CroMov

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2020, 08:00:38 AM »
Collecting Rolex vintage watches requires specific knowledge, experiences and a lot of home works etc.