Author Topic: Glashutte 3/4 plate  (Read 10080 times)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Glashutte 3/4 plate
« on: August 05, 2013, 04:55:30 PM »
I was so impressed when I saw the Lange 1 movement 10 yrs ago...
That 3/4 plate movement is so beautiful
Then GO also selling this in the pano series... Nomos....  Dormbluth

Now when I saw the old glashutte pocket movement, I knew the so call 3/4 plate
Has nothing to shout about... In the end is still how u decorate/ finish it...

Any 3/4 plate lover here ?

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
Re: Glashutte 3/4 plate
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 04:59:32 PM »
I prefer Malaysian full plate

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline sean

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 05:17:58 PM »

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:05:47 PM »
I suspect a very low number here. It takes me some time to fully realize how fine Lange's finishing are.

I really can't find any big house doing the same thing they do

Regard
Tyler

I was so impressed when I saw the Lange 1 movement 10 yrs ago...
That 3/4 plate movement is so beautiful
Then GO also selling this in the pano series... Nomos....  Dormbluth

Now when I saw the old glashutte pocket movement, I knew the so call 3/4 plate
Has nothing to shout about... In the end is still how u decorate/ finish it...

Any 3/4 plate lover here ?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 06:16:06 AM by Godzillaz »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 10:10:48 AM »
I suspect a very low number here. It takes me some time to fully realize how fine Lange's finishing are.

I really can't find any big house doing the same thing they do

Regard
Tyler

U may hv ppl think 3/4 is boring... It is to certain extend, bridges can be creatively place, at different sizes, different style of finishing.... While 3/4 plate only 1 piece

To achieve Lange level, the German silver play a part giving the tone of different reflection color, beveled edges, but I think blued screw gold chaton, swan neck and hand engraving on balance cock actually draw the attention...

Having said that, without the screwed chaton, swan neck n decorated balance cock, 3/4 will be very very boring...

Errr.... The polish to swirl shine on barrel may take some lime light ....

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:12:08 PM »
Lange movements are made from ‘German Silver’, an alloy of copper. nickel and zinc, instead of the more common plated brass.

Does this anyone know if this German silver would oxidize and leave a "patina" or not?

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 10:20:36 PM »
It would. The color varies from light yellow to bright yellow. Quite attractive actually.

Lange movements are made from ‘German Silver’, an alloy of copper. nickel and zinc, instead of the more common plated brass.

Does this anyone know if this German silver would oxidize and leave a "patina" or not?

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 07:46:43 AM »
GO finishing is still not quite up to Lange standards yet.
However this excellent picture of the GO Panomatic Lunar cal GUB 90 might give an idea of how a decorated 3/4 plate will look like vs a decorated say Unitas 6497 or ETA 2824/2836/2892 (maybe someone can post up 1 as I do not have any)

borrowed internet pictures...

I have 3 watches with the 3/4 plate.. 2 GOs and a Damasko DK-10.
will try to take and post a close up of the GUB 100 & A35-1 calibers later

To share my experience, yes I notice that both my GO 3/4 plate movts does oxidise and take on a slightly yellowish look. One is tempted to use  a more artistic and positive word, patina.
The A35-1 is plated so will not oxidise.

Taste is very personal and to me, I think the decorated German 3/4 plate looks much more elegant and classy than its equivalent run of the mill perlaged, geneva striped, chemically blue screwed Swiss ETAs/Soprods/Sellitas.
Whilst I agree that some of the 3/4 plate cal designs do not expose most of the gear train, showing only the balance wheel & cock which is a bit disappointing, depending on the complication and design however, there are other 3/4 plate movts which also reveal their gear trains as well as much as the Swiss stacked bridge designs.
Apart from some of these automatic 3/4 plate designs which do not show much of their gear trains, those manual wind GO/Lange high complications e.g. tourbillons, chain & fusee, chronographs, perpetuals, etc are a different story on top of being very intricately decorated and lovely to look at even when compared to their Swiss counterparts..
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:37:10 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 04:19:05 PM »

Dornbluth turning the swiss made eta pocket movement into a German made 3/4 plate watch

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 09:08:37 AM »
Dornbluth's movement are brass based. He just plate them with rose gold.

AFAIK only Lange use german silver use on all their movement. Other makers like JLC and IWC, PSM and few others i forgot only use it on few selected watch.   

I'm not sure about GO.

Regard
Tyler

Dornbluth turning the swiss made eta pocket movement into a German made 3/4 plate watch

Offline cyclop20

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 11:20:19 AM »
this is such a beautiful movement, I remember I watch a VCD about Glasutte how they produce their movement, it was breath-taking, but too bad no idea had keep it some place I cant remember...