Author Topic: Seiko Astron  (Read 10113 times)

Offline nazren

Seiko Astron
« on: September 12, 2012, 08:42:28 AM »
Seiko’s solar-powered Astron adjusts itself according to GPS-determined location
By JACKY KHOR JIN KIT
[email protected]
Photo by Brian Moh

SEIKO unveiled the Astron, the world’s first solar powered GPS watch, in Malaysia at the 2012 Seiko Roadshow in Kuala Lumpur recently that was held in conjunction with the 50th anniversary of America Watch, Seiko’s long-time retail partner.

The Astron is able to receive GPS signals at any point on earth and identify the time and date in the appropriate time zone using the global network of GPS satellites, adjusting itself to the local time.

It is also a revolution in solar power generation, which enables it to function entirely without the need for external charging.

Covering time zones: The Astron range requires no batteries since it is solar powered.
In addition, it has an easy-to-adjust Daylight Saving Time feature and a perpetual calendar, so the date will always be accurate — irrespective of leap years — up to February 2100.

At the launch, Seiko Watch Corporation Japan sales and marketing general manager Teruyo Ishimaru promised that the Astron would not be Seiko’s last milestone in watchmaking.

“We will continue to create exciting, innovative and value-added products for all,” she said.

Seiko says its craftsmanship and excellence in technology has indeed charted many revolutions; among them are the world’s first quartz watch, the world’s first computerised diver’s watch, the world’s first spring-drive chronograph and the world’s first watch designed for space walks.

Since then, the brand has gravitated from space to the sports arena and now associates itself with the mighty FC Barcelona football team.

“On the international front, Seiko continues to be the official watch partner of FC Barcelona,” said Michael Lim, general manager of Thong Sia Sdn Bhd, the distributor of Seiko watches in Malaysia.

Nearer to home, Seiko is making its presence felt among youths by engaging Asian superstars Wang Leehom and Sammi Cheng as brand ambassadors.

“Wang and Cheng will continue to support and promote the brand as spokesmen for Greater China and Asian countries,” added Lim.

The 2012 roadshow also showcased the latest Seiko collections, including the ingenious and ergonomic designs from Grand Seiko, Sportura-FC Barcelona, Premier as well as the Seiko Criteria’s Spring/Summer designs.

Offline adit_up

• Freshie
Re: Seiko Astron
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »
what a great innovation of seiko, but I hear from some people they say that seiko astron can't work properly in some country because of the signal GPS. is it true? does it work properly in malaysia?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:30:36 PM »
if a handheld GPS will work, I think it should too. all handheld GPS will calibrate themselves from the GPS signals.

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:37:58 PM »
i saw some quick demo of the Astron watch on youtube, no idea how it work but would like to see one in action ! Kinda cool

Offline adit_up

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 02:13:02 PM »
Hope it can work properly cause one of my family in Indonesia said it can't be used there because of the GPS problem. Only Japan can use it now  :Confused:

i saw some quick demo of the Astron watch on youtube, no idea how it work but would like to see one in action ! Kinda cool

Offline adit_up

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »
Btw can anyone assume how much seiko astron in the market? Quite really expensive it would be if accompany by its technology  :shocked1:

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 08:27:34 PM »
Any idea how much??

Offline Seiko2012

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »
i guess it cost more than 3k

Offline Everdying

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 03:19:45 PM »
rm9k+.

Offline allanlim

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 09:04:54 PM »
saw from same web the price was around 7k - 13K :HammerHead:
Omega Planet Ocean, always the best !!!

Offline Everdying

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 09:16:15 PM »
couple weeks ago city chain did a expo in mid valley, and had a few astrons there.
i didnt ask for a demo since the price already said no need to see :P

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 09:31:33 AM »
An AD in Mid Valley has it in stock....
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com