Author Topic: Bad value for money watches/brands...and why?  (Read 25493 times)

Offline TwoSolitudes

Re: Bad value for money watches/brands...and why?
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 03:09:27 PM »
Franck Muller: Outrageous prices for pretty simple movements on most models. I like some of the designs, but really really bad value.

I will second Hublot not a lot of value there for sure.

The famous Italian P brand is not good or bad value for me. They are right in the middle. You sure aren't getting better value than some others in the same price range, but you do get great movements original unique design and high quality.

Offline Calibr

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 03:16:20 PM »
If the "famous Italian P brand" refers to Panerai, then by all means say the name. Being an international forum, there should be no fear in mentioning names in expressing an opinion, as long as we keep to the forum rules..

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 03:40:36 PM »
If the "famous Italian P brand" refers to Panerai, then by all means say the name. Being an international forum, there should be no fear in mentioning names in expressing an opinion, as long as we keep to the forum rules..
I agree...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 03:41:41 PM »
It is like the fear of mentioning Lord Voldemort - He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.  :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 03:44:34 PM by Yikkie »

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 06:31:29 PM »

Any watch that you end up letting go with a huge dent on resale price is bad value....Especially if the reason of letting go is impulsive purchase after seeing some unrealistic photos or listening to some convincing sales pitch....

If you purchased a grail after a proper period of consideration and research, and end up loving that piece for a long time, its good value as it brings you happiness everyday.  Doesnt matter how much you paid for it and how low the after sale price is
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline GMTmaster

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 07:57:14 PM »
pexus : you actually posted the above reply to answer two different threads. The following statement explained BAD VALUE FOR MONEY.

Any watch that you end up letting go with a huge dent on resale price is bad value....Especially if the reason of letting go is impulsive purchase after seeing some unrealistic photos or listening to some convincing sales pitch....

While the following statement answers the BEST VALUE FOR MONEY.  :thumbsup:

If you purchased a grail after a proper period of consideration and research, and end up loving that piece for a long time, its good value as it brings you happiness everyday.  Doesnt matter how much you paid for it and how low the after sale price is

I personally admire the second statement. Because you wear the watch as you love them and keep flipping watches doesn't show your appreciation (or understanding) towards your collections. MHO.

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 08:41:29 PM »
GMT Master (nice nick name..i like... ;D:
I am learning through experience also....fortunately my `tuition fees' were not that high. :P...
yearned for a orange PO after looking at seeing too many gorgeous pics on the internet...
...When i finally got it, the love affair lasted for about 8 months before i decided that a sub is better.. :-\...The rest is history....Out went the PO, in went the sub....
Fortunately, I got the PO at a good discount due to stock clearance and was able to find a buyer who really appreciate the watch to cushion some of the loss...
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2013, 08:51:16 PM »
I personally don't think that is such a thing as a,"bad value for money watch"
As all of us knows that all watches in the market today will appeal to someone out there,even if it is only the designer/creator himself.
What might be a "bad value" will be a "good value" for the person who bought it and vice versa.
So obviously everyone on this planet so says that a watch is "bad value" for the simple reason cos he's not buying it and if he's buying it then it's "good value"
So we can argue till the cows come home and all we get is a bad taste in the mouth cos someone,somewhere out there will say that the beloved watch that you just paid a small fortune on is,"BAD VALUE FOR MONEY WATCH"

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2013, 10:31:11 PM »
As all of us knows that all watches in the market today will appeal to someone out there,even if it is only the designer/creator himself.
What might be a "bad value" will be a "good value" for the person who bought it and vice versa.
So obviously everyone on this planet so says that a watch is "bad value" for the simple reason cos he's not buying it and if he's buying it then it's "good value"
So we can argue till the cows come home and all we get is a bad taste in the mouth cos someone,somewhere out there will say that the beloved watch that you just paid a small fortune on is,"BAD VALUE FOR MONEY WATCH"

It is almost like saying that there are no bad value products out there just because someone might be buying it.  In that case, the Proton Juara could be considered a great value for money car since there are a few who bought it.  :o Keep in mind that there are many consumers who buy things without doing much research and might end up with something that is simply not worth the money.  I believe that members of this forum are passionate and extremely knowledgeable about the world of horology and will be able to share their expert opinion on the subject. 

Offline dpkong

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2013, 10:47:04 PM »
Starting two threads asking about good and bad value is interesting to say the least.

Value for Money for any item really depends on how much expendable money is available to the person concerned.

To some, a Kancil is value for money and yet for others, a BMW might be. Likewise, staying at a B&B inn might satisfy some but others will want no less than a 5 star hotel.

In watches, a Casio may be the answer to some and a Patek Philippe to others. So a G-shock can have all the bells and whistles that only 2% of wearers will use and yet the time and effort put into a Minute Repeater will be of much value to other buyers.

It all depends on how much $$$ one has. As our incomes improve, it is normal that our definition of "value for money" changes as well.

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2013, 11:02:41 PM »

It is almost like saying that there are no bad value products out there just because someone might be buying it.  In that case, the Proton Juara could be considered a great value for money car since there are a few who bought it.  :o Keep in mind that there are many consumers who buy things without doing much research and might end up with something that is simply not worth the money.  I believe that members of this forum are passionate and extremely knowledgeable about the world of horology and will be able to share their expert opinion on the subject.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say.
A Proton Juara will be considered a great value for money to those who bought it.
Bear in mind that we're talking about watches that are hundreds if not thousands of ringgit.
And I think that we are not in a position to say eg. a Frank Muller watch is "bad value for money".Do you know how ridiculous we sound?.
But if you say "bad value for MY money" than I think that's acceptable cos you're referring to your ability to purchase it.

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2013, 11:56:17 PM »

A Proton Juara will be considered a great value for money to those who bought it.
Bear in mind that we're talking about watches that are hundreds if not thousands of ringgit.
And I think that we are not in a position to say eg. a Frank Muller watch is "bad value for money".Do you know how ridiculous we sound?.
But if you say "bad value for MY money" than I think that's acceptable cos you're referring to your ability to purchase it.

Those who bought the Juara must have liked it for some reason but does that make it a good car just because someone bought it? Anyone who bought a Juara must be kicking themselves now as the car is worthless in the used market and labeled as the ugliest and most unreliable car ever made by Proton...or by any car manufacturers.

Why is it that we are not in a position to say that Frank Muller is bad value for money?...and why does it sound ridiculous by saying so? Are you suggesting that we do not have the capability to buy it and hence have no rights to comment about it? If that is what you meant, you are dead wrong my friend.  I really hope I misunderstood you for your sake.

It goes without saying that everyone is airing their own personal point of view and that pretty much makes it a "Bad value for MY money" posting.

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2013, 05:54:42 AM »

Those who bought the Juara must have liked it for some reason but does that make it a good car just because someone bought it? Anyone who bought a Juara must be kicking themselves now as the car is worthless in the used market and labeled as the ugliest and most unreliable car ever made by Proton...or by any car manufacturers.

Why is it that we are not in a position to say that Frank Muller is bad value for money?...and why does it sound ridiculous by saying so? Are you suggesting that we do not have the capability to buy it and hence have no rights to comment about it? If that is what you meant, you are dead wrong my friend.  I really hope I misunderstood you for your sake.

It goes without saying that everyone is airing their own personal point of view and that pretty much makes it a "Bad value for MY money" posting.

I don't think you get my point in my reply.
It's my opinion so don't take personally it's unbecoming.

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2013, 07:12:58 AM »
This is a public forum. You are entitled to your opinion.  It is also merely your opinion (or illusion) that I am taking this personally.  I was just asking you to clarify your statement so that we could understand the point that you were trying to make.  I rest my case.

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 07:15:13 AM »
This is a public forum. You are entitled to your opinion.  It is also merely your opinion (or illusion) that I am taking this personally.  I was just asking you to clarify your statement so that we could understand the point that you were trying to make.  I rest my case.
Have a nice day

Offline swleong

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 08:09:40 AM »
ToyWatch is bad value for money in my opinion, though they give life-time free servicing.....

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 08:25:37 AM »
ToyWatch is bad value for money in my opinion, though they give life-time free servicing.....
i saw ToyWatch shops first in Pavilion, then in Gardens... what's so special about the watches?

Offline swleong

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 08:30:48 AM »
i saw ToyWatch shops first in Pavilion, then in Gardens... what's so special about the watches?

Their watches mostly 'mimicking' the design DNAs of other watches, and rojak them togerther with funky plastic and a touch of 'toy magic dust'......some celebrities love it though

Offline STT1987

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 10:14:56 AM »

Anybody who buys a watch with the name "Toywatch" knows exactly what they are getting and the "value" of such a thing. To a serious watch lover or WIS - this brand does not even show up on our radar except as gifts given to us.
::)  ;D  :D

The question of "value" does not figure into the equation IMO. 
 :Laughing_on_floor:
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline kenji1903

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 01:05:21 PM »

Their watches mostly 'mimicking' the design DNAs of other watches, and rojak them togerther with funky plastic and a touch of 'toy magic dust'......some celebrities love it though
man... you are right! some looks like a Sub, some like a Carrera :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline kenji1903

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 01:08:04 PM »

Anybody who buys a watch with the name "Toywatch" knows exactly what they are getting and the "value" of such a thing. To a serious watch lover or WIS - this brand does not even show up on our radar except as gifts given to us.
::)  ;D  :D

The question of "value" does not figure into the equation IMO. 
 :Laughing_on_floor:
it looks like a toy, feels like a toy, but its a watch ;D

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2013, 06:26:45 AM »
Anything quartz that costs more than RM1k. Ok, maybe with the exception of G-shocks. :P

It's interesting how we all perceive value differently.  A used quartz Aquaracer 500 m is, IMO, one of the best value dive watches around US$750-1k, alongside a used Tuna SBBN015. 

Speaking of Seiko, generally speaking I feel that their watches, dollar for dollar, offer tremendous value at every price point up to arround US$10k.  Above that level, with the gold L.E. GS models and Spacewalk and such, they start to lose the plot.

Citizen make some of the best value watches, too, and are unequalled when it comes to great quartz technology in fine cases at reasonable pricepoints (e.g JDM Attesa).

Offline Timeless

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »
I think if u treasure the watch like gf or buddy, the value are always there.
Vice versa, it will become valueless no matter how expensive it is.

Offline e1fnd

• Freshie
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2013, 06:29:36 PM »
I would say Ball BMW watches...Overpriced because of the Beemer logo..& i'm quite a Ball fan actually.. :Confused:

This I have to agree... And due to it's prestige or special edition, you will get a bmw-key-like usb drive. Not too sure if a lot of these sold...

Offline el118

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »
I would say Ball BMW watches...Overpriced because of the Beemer logo..& i'm quite a Ball fan actually.. :Confused:

This I have to agree... And due to it's prestige or special edition, you will get a bmw-key-like usb drive. Not too sure if a lot of these sold...

At least the "manly" ultimate driving machine got "Balls"