Author Topic: Bad value for money watches/brands...and why?  (Read 25493 times)

Offline Cocas

Re: Bad value for money watches/brands...and why?
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2016, 08:53:05 PM »
Panerai, 7Friday, Louis Erard.

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2016, 05:58:05 AM »
Controversial topic.

Nonetheless, I think it depends on who you are and how you value watches. For me, I think Rolex is a bad for value watch.  :Scolding: "Bring on the hate". I think their movements are just "meh" at best, their 904L steel and ceramic bezel are gimmicks and that everyone has one. At my brother in law's wedding, more than 6 people had a Rolex. Doesn't make me feel special to own one to be honest.

Similarly, someone might say that a brand that I like, for example, JLC, isn't a good value for money. The finishing of a JLC isn't up to par with the likes of the holy trinity and I've heard some horrendous stories of their repair jobs. Nonetheless, I believe that their movements are top notch and that they've earned the 'watchmaker's watch' moniker.

It's important to get a watch that you like. But, I believe it shows even greater character as a person, to like a watch that everyone hates.  ;D There are no wrongs or right.
Adam J
Currently own: Rolex GMT Pepsi 126710BLRO mark 1

Offline Kerry1136

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2016, 07:55:43 AM »
DW ;p

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2016, 08:18:57 AM »
So... we are reviving an old thread from back in 2013? Just as well- since it made for fun-reading and let's see how our horological tastes have changed over the last few years  :Cheers:

I tend to be a flipper. I buy, I flip. Sometimes I buy only because it was not possible to get some elusive ones (read : micro-brands) in mortar and brick stores; and would examine, write about them in my blog, and pass them on to fellow collectors. Only a fraction of watches have earned their spots in my winder over the years.

If by bad value-for-money, the TS meant bad resale value, then we were all guilty of getting such watches because honestly, how many of us have actually made monies from getting and flipping new watches (any brands at all)? Getting pre-owned at good prices, that would be a different story though. I used to get good deals from buying overseas, but with the GST and depreciated MYR, that no longer holds true either.

For business-wise, I still think that the good o' Rollie gives more brownie points compared to many other brands in the same price bracket. Everyone recognises the Datejust, Explorer ii, GMT-Master ii, and Submariner. By wearing one, it shows that you have similar discerning tastes, is down-to-earth, and goes for something reliable and dependable. But almost every Tom, Dick and Harry wears one from the aforementioned models in every other meetings that I attended, so if you want to just move off the tangent slightly, you could wear the SD4k or DSSD, and still be within the circle of trust.

Some watches, you tend to get very much value for money due to the low purchase price but armed with dependable ETA/Sellita movement (e.g. my Glycine Combat Sub, Oris Aquis Date, Steinhart Ocean, etc); but the generic diver design inadvertently points to the Rollie Submariner so much that it felt a bit like a poser at times. Sooner or later, it gnaws at you to just wear the real Sub and drop the rest. Some watches, you pay too much for the design, though armed with the robust Miyota movement, which I liked but the movement doesn't cost that much so I felt that the watch price should be lower (e.g. my SevenFriday P3, which was great when I was an early-adopter but now replicated like nobody's business as the Miyota movement is easily available).

For Chrono watches, I always feel that those whom spot an Omega Speedy wears an original and historical design, which shows character. Other watches that pull off the same originality, for me at least, includes the Pam in its base models, Laco/Stowa/IWC/Wempe/Lange with Flieger Type A & B (hand-winding and sans brand), PP with its Nautilus pothole, and B&R with its square flight instrument case. At the end of the day, I think that watches show a glimpse of a person's character so do choose and wear your "personality extension" well  :thumbsup:
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline asimo

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2016, 08:20:30 AM »
i think certain watches model have much higher profit margins than others such those in productions for many years (cause
the development cost, mold cost, supplies chain established,etc.. investment recouped...),, only certain models
of a particular brand actually bring in the money for the company... certain models subsidies the others...

anyway... in my opinion, my list ...  Gra***, B&*, T**  H****,  M*** B****, Ma***** Lac****,  and many many more...

Offline elado249

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2016, 08:45:51 AM »
I do not think there is a bad value for money watch *except the apple watch* :p..it is subjective. Some people might just buy a rm2k flieger or dive watch, and they are happy. Some people attached with the brand names, some attached coz due to retain value. Here in malaysia we can see the mindset of some people, typical malaysian, if it is about watches it must go with rolex..if it is about cars, then it will be toyota,honda,bimmer,merc. The final say is, you buy what you want and make you happy..do not listen to others. Unless if you are intend to flip the watch later, so go get a rolex

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline elado249

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2016, 08:50:36 AM »
Regarding rolex, in old days, no people wants the daytona, it was a bad seller for them. But today you can see how the trend changed, people now are talking about it, wanna have a piece of it. Watches that we think are bad today might be getting a second chance later :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2016, 05:05:39 PM »
Have to disagree with the Rolex Daytona assertion. The Paul Newman Daytonas weren't hot when they came out. But they were already hot in the 80s once they saw Paul Newman wear it. One just sold on Hodinkee for more than 150k usd. Of course, this is the Daytona using the Valjoux 72 movement. A proven workhorse. Look at my instagram ID :)

Vintage Heuers are the bee's knees. Tag Heuer... meh.
Adam J
Currently own: Rolex GMT Pepsi 126710BLRO mark 1

Offline Watched

• New trained daddy
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2016, 06:22:26 PM »
I think most of the luxury brand have 50% to 70% resell value

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2016, 08:42:58 PM »
Bad value for money is subjective. For me, when I have to pay at premium price for the watch with the basic movement watch. No chronometre no special escapement, power reserve is about average i.e 40 hrs and basic movement finishing. For that kind of watch you pay a lot only for the something written or engrave on the dial. yes . The brand. I'm not a watchmaker, my opinion are based on my experience and my own perspective.