Author Topic: Bad value for money watches/brands...and why?  (Read 25494 times)

Offline Yikkie

Bad value for money watches/brands...and why?
« on: October 07, 2013, 03:13:39 PM »
...and on the flip side, which watches or brands do you think is undeserving of our hard earned cash.  Please try not to  :HammerHead: each other.  We are just here to share our opinion.

To get the 'heat' started...my vote has got to go to Hublot for being oversized, overblinked and overpriced with mostly uninspiring slightly modified ETA movements.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:09:52 PM by Yikkie »

Offline RaymondT

Re: Worst value for money watches/brands...and why?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 03:22:47 PM »
Graham? Don't  :HammerHead: me pls :Praying:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
Romain Jerome....  :D
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline hooidcaster

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »
Designer's brand like Coach, Burberry, LV, etc.. All I can see is, price for their brand.. There's nothing special about their movement or history of the watch itself, other than designer's name of the watch itself.. and pls don't kill me..  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline STT1987

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 04:26:49 PM »
This will not end well....
 :Blue:
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline nazren

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 04:38:15 PM »
Topic of the month....

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 05:20:48 PM »

Let's hope not...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 05:22:58 PM »
...especially if someone is 'brave' enough to mention the 'famous' Italian brand that starts with a P and ends with an I on this thread.   :o
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:28:16 PM by Yikkie »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Re: Bad value for money watches/brands...and why?
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 05:44:05 PM »

hahaha... a topic that will win Topic of the Year 2013 overtaking the other famous thread :Laughing_on_floor:
Quick we have until Dec 31st to make this da winner.... ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:53:12 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline el118

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 05:51:06 PM »
...especially if someone is 'brave' enough to mention the 'famous' Italian brand that starts with a P and ends with an I on this thread.   :o

This is too obvious bro..

Offline Everdying

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 06:33:45 PM »
anything more than rm1k.

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 07:02:42 PM »

Obvious meh? I was talking about Pirelli watches!  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline AsherLim

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 07:05:01 PM »
Anything quartz that costs more than RM1k. Ok, maybe with the exception of G-shocks. :P

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 07:57:11 PM »
Bling bling watches

Offline dpkong

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 08:42:15 PM »
anything more than rm1k.

No.. you will not be killed for this statement, you will be CRUCIFIED!

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline windstruckk

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 09:14:24 PM »
Designer's brand like Coach, Burberry, LV, etc.. All I can see is, price for their brand.. There's nothing special about their movement or history of the watch itself, other than designer's name of the watch itself.. and pls don't kill me..  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:
Agreed. Same goes to Porsche Design and Ferrari higher-priced watches. Thou they are the luxury brands in automobile industry but when it comes to watches, they won't fair well.   ;D

Offline windstruckk

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 09:29:16 PM »
In my college days I once bought a Tommy H. "moonphase" watch and the next week it has fog under the glass by just sitting in my air-conditioned car...
So i thought it could be replaced by sending it to the AD I bought it from (CT Chen MV) and they said it is not exchangeable for a new piece.

Fine, I just left it with them and after a long time they ask me to collect it and guess what? The next day it still FOGGED. Piss as heck I went to the service center myself and ask them to get it fixed. And ding dong ding another month passed by and finally the SC said it was fixed with new gasket and bla bla bla. That week itself, the freaking watch fogged again.

From that point onwards, I swear not to touch any of Dummy Hefigure products anymore.

Offline nasa

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 09:46:40 PM »
I would say Ball BMW watches...Overpriced because of the Beemer logo..& i'm quite a Ball fan actually.. :Confused:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 09:50:59 PM »
Bad value for money is very subjective, relative and personal.
If I had an inheritance/windfall of RM 100 Million or more, I'd buy not only high horology watches costing 6 or 7 figures but also every single watch that caught my passing fancy but those would most prolly get thrown out or given away the next day without blinking when the interest wore off on me. Every watch to me then would be value for money coz I have lotss of it.
Ok , ok, I exaggerate…

Since most of us or rather 98.0% or 99.9% of us could never buy every single watch model that we wished to own... we already have enough problems owning that 1% of watches we liked without listing out the other 99% that we didn’t like.

Having said that I'd still have a list of some brands off the back of my head that I can’t see myself ever buying into with my own hard earned money based on their CURRENT DNA/price points to-date. Some of these brands previously had impressive chronological achievements but had gone bankrupt in 70’s and subsequently bought over by investors where some OEMed their watches to the many independent Swiss ateliers if not China/HK/Malaysia/Singapore factories. Some are completely new upstarts. Some are just copy cats. Some ride on 'hard to prove or disprove' links to aviation,military,famous ships,planes, what have you. Some are pure marketing spin. Some are jewelers that focus on precious stones and using an outsourced movement.

In this current day and time with CNC machines, CAD/CAM, laser etching, DRIE, etc, its almost difficult to find poor quality or watches that don’t work reasonably well. Rather it’s about finding watches that have their own ‘special or unique qualities’ whether revolutionary or high horology complications/movements, exotic materials, exceptional horological performance, etc, i.e. their very own brand DNA, not copies of other brands or followers of current trends.

Although I have a list of those brands in my mind, I am always conscious that one must 'never say never' coz things are almost always fluid..
If and when a new owner takes over, the DNA of that brand could change invariably or take a new direction.
An example that comes to mind is Cartier. From long way back, Cartier to me was just an expensive jeweler that also made watches, focusing more on the design & artistic element but using e-bauches ranging from JLC, Piquet to run of the mill ETAs. Yes, there were some exceptional made to order pieces but these were one off. With Carole Forestier-Kasapi's entry sometime 2000, they have moved towards designing and manufacturing many new in-house high complications. Just too bad their premiums are very high where there are equally capable manufactures offering better price/value ratio.

Of course this is only MY choice and opinion. Everyone has their right to their choice and opinion, too.

I believe that 'we should always agree to disagree' without being personal.
And if you don't agree to that, I’m ok with it, too.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:53:22 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 09:09:01 AM »

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 09:24:20 AM »

While not wanting this to drag on any further, perhaps you can enlighten us why so?

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »
actually i'm curious as well... p*****i seems like a nice watch... and i think quite in demand too? ???

Offline harkensng

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 09:43:29 AM »

:Laughing_on_floor:    :mooning:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 09:45:07 AM by harkensng »

Offline el118

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 10:16:13 AM »

Obvious meh? I was talking about Pirelli watches!  :Laughing_on_floor:

This is good one! ;D

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 11:48:28 AM »
A watch that you don't like to wear after you bought it is bad value for money.

We can all talk bad things about other models/brands/designs but how many of us really have first hand experience of the watch/brand we mention here.

Have the owner in mind before we breakout hurtful statement that doesn't explain why it's not value for money but just plain bashing. I don't see that has anything to do with watch collecting as a hobby.

Regard
Tyler