Author Topic: SOTC 2015 - Another year since i last posted my 2014 SOTC  (Read 6745 times)

Offline JPSP

SOTC 2015 - Another year since i last posted my 2014 SOTC
« on: May 05, 2015, 09:33:49 PM »
Hi guys,

Been a while since I posted anything...

Every year I try to make it a point to buy a watch that complements my collection and sings to me. With no exception this year, I’ve decided to pull the trigger on this piece.

As usual, went through the pre-purchase indecisiveness as I was considering either going Indie or mainstream brand which is a safer bet. Amongst the Indie brands, and within my budget, I was considering: Peter Speake Marin, DeBethune and MB&F.  I’m fascinated with their make, movement, innovativeness and design. However, I couldn’t overcome some hurdles like (a) what if the local ADs no longer carry the brand?, (b) the unknown servicing cost associated with the in-house movements, (c) the anxiety of loss of postage if I need to send the watch back to Switzerland for servicing and waiting for its return and (d) paying $ for stainless steel/titanium watch cases compared to precious metals from mainstream brands that I can get. After months of contemplation and research, I’ve finally decided on the white gold IWC Perpetual Calendar. It’s a watch packed with many complications that one can ask for.

I guess many of you know about this watch so it needs not much introduction. It’s a beauty with a very delicate movement (I’m worried I may spoil the watch accidentally if I wind it wrongly – quite a few things to remember when it comes to setting the time and date). It has a rich midnight blue dial that has different hues under different light conditions and it’s also a chunky watch on my small wrist. I’m happy with the overall finishing and the tested, reliable IW51614 movement. I don’t think it’ll be a watch for formal dressy occasions because of its thickness but likely I’ll wear it on weekends with a pair of denims. Here’s some wrist shots to share.   

Now the 2015 SOTC:

My dress watches – A. Lange Grand Langematik in YG and Harry Winston Midnight Big Date in RG

The “Trinity” as some referred to – PP5711/a, AP ROO (titanium) and very understated VC Overseas

My only alarm watch in the collection – JLC Navy Seals Alarm (titanium)

The Black Knight - Blancpain FF (DLC)

The Pammy (an automatic watch with a redundant 10 days power reserve if you ask me) – Pam 270

The daily beater evergreen Rolex Submariner (aka Hulk)

My only flyback - Breguet Transatlantique Type XI

The only skeleton dial watch I own – Hublot AeroBang Skeleton

Finally, my only WG timepiece packed with many complications – the IWC Perpetual Calendar

Thanks for viewing and sharing my joy.

Cheers

James

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
Re: SOTC 2015 - Another year since i last posted my 2014 SOTC
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 01:06:21 AM »
Speechless.....you have watches that people like me could only dream of....... Nice, superb and complete collections.....if i were you, i would only add one GS spring drive.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 05:38:40 AM »
Stunning collection as usual. I wait to see what you would add to your collection.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 08:21:59 AM »
Its time to go Indie James

Debethune
Urwerk
Greubal Forsey  :thumbsup:
Jacky Wong

Offline JPSP

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 12:13:39 PM »
Stunning collection as usual. I wait to see what you would add to your collection.
Thanks!

Its time to go Indie James

Debethune
Urwerk
Greubal Forsey  :thumbsup:

Yes likely a Debethune...there's a watch I fancy all along

Speechless.....you have watches that people like me could only dream of....... Nice, superb and complete collections.....if i were you, i would only add one GS spring drive.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Yes I used to own SBGE021 but sold it away....GS is indeed a great watch

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 01:06:20 PM »
Simply astonishing

Offline DolCeAddicT

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 05:56:21 PM »
A dream line up! Congrats on the new watch!  :thumbsup:

Offline Devilzzz44

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 12:47:06 PM »
Ohhhh god!...nice line up there.... :thumbsup:

Offline Geneve

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 06:00:49 PM »
Decent time piece you have there. :thumbsup:
One day I will join the fun of collecting luxurious time piece.

Offline deriku

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 08:02:33 AM »
That is a dream line-up for many including myself (well, I'd probably get a Reverso rather than the Hublot). The perp calendar is sweet, just wished it could have come in a smaller case, though IWC manufacture movements are not diminutive in any way.