Author Topic: Waiting Lists  (Read 22919 times)

Offline Phan

Re: Waiting Lists
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2020, 11:47:17 PM »
https://www.theborneopost.com/2020/01/16/sarawak-customs-seizes-luxury-watches-worth-over-rm16-mln-in-raids/

Kena sapu by custom

Offline potassium126

• Freshie
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2020, 01:07:50 AM »
 There will be alternative way to get this issue settled.

Offline samuelk

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2020, 04:26:07 AM »
This seems like a syndicate. Apparently it is being "smuggled" through actual mules.. "watch being worn to confuse officer".
New pieces? Didn't mention brand?

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2020, 05:28:55 PM »
The Hour Glass told me that you have to spend RM150k annually in order to get those watches, whereas the Swiss Watch Gallery said to spend RM100k on the respective brand
Spend RM 150k in order to get what kind of watches? Rolex submariner? Pepsi in steel?

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2020, 05:31:20 PM »
From what I know after purchased another brand new hulk by paying the premium recently for a brand new piece is that, the outlet manager are the one to decide who they wanna sell the watch to. Often are sold to so called runners. These runners acting as a middle broker then selling all these very sought after sports model to the grey market retailers then finally real collectors like us who couldn't bloody wait but wanted it so bad would end up buying from them at a premium. I once asked a runner who I bumped into while buying my first Rolex, i.asked how many watch he sold a month on the peak period... he smiled and said 100 over on a bad and 200 over on a good month.. they dont just getting from the local  AD but globally.. that is just one runner. How many are they, I dont know. Interesting story when comes to understanding how the watch industry works. Back to basic, demand vs supply.

The AD need to activate the warranty card by swipe the card thru a device and they need to record the owner particular ie full name so that runner can collect or buy how many watches fr the AD? All this info is straight to Rolex geneva.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2020, 05:33:53 PM »
the only way to prevent all this ridiculous mark up of pricing is when people stop paying for it..

A lot of people out there have RM50-100k to "invest" in Rolex sport watches, many have even more. If the price goes up, their "investment" returns are far better than FD rates. And there are many people out there with cash that they cannot keep in banks or assets where the govt can detect so watches and jewelry are some of the easiest way to store this money.
This is the thing I hate the most “investment” . They shall park their money at other investments tool instead of watches... sigh

Offline potassium126

• Freshie
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »
Capitalism, rich getting richer. Get a preowned Rolex and move on. The waiting list is nothing but a joke.

Offline blackmamba24

• Freshie
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2020, 03:02:34 PM »
Agree with many here, forget about the waiting list, I have friends who spent on average rm100k a year in the same boutique and still not on the VVIP list for Rolex Sub and PP. I personally just got over it and got a pre-owned one, still paid a hefty mark-up.

Offline thiamtime

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2020, 04:45:15 PM »
Agree forget about waitlist - there are other things in life and other watches one can pursue , while same time prices will keep going up ..
If you really want one I’ve notice a drop in prices for hot models - also with Corona getting protracted who knows prices might drop bit more? ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline heart_killer39

• Freshie
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2020, 12:35:55 PM »
Agree forget about waitlist - there are other things in life and other watches one can pursue , while same time prices will keep going up ..
If you really want one I’ve notice a drop in prices for hot models - also with Corona getting protracted who knows prices might drop bit more? ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being a newcomer to the world of watches, i find it being disgustng when the price that these guys on the grey market are selling it fot. A 10% mark-up is fine but anything more than that is sick.

Plus i don't know why but i just hate buying such watches at a pre-owned condition. Nothing like walking into a AD and picking up your brand new Rolex

Offline echan78

• Freshie
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2020, 02:02:07 PM »
The problem is either the ADs or Rolex themselves are playing a funny game here. Its BS that steel sports model are insufficient. We see lots of turning up in the grey market daily yet the ADs turn us away with impossible waiting lists. We can even read on tabloid that a taiwanese star bought the new pepsi at an AD in singapore some time ago. so it has come to this..reserved only for superstars & VIPS. Well all is fair in the world of luxury goods i guess. Rolex steel sports models are a bitch to find in ADs like birkins in hermes boutiques. 

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Offline heart_killer39

• Freshie
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2020, 05:37:35 AM »
The problem is either the ADs or Rolex themselves are playing a funny game here. Its BS that steel sports model are insufficient. We see lots of turning up in the grey market daily yet the ADs turn us away with impossible waiting lists. We can even read on tabloid that a taiwanese star bought the new pepsi at an AD in singapore some time ago. so it has come to this..reserved only for superstars & VIPS. Well all is fair in the world of luxury goods i guess. Rolex steel sports models are a bitch to find in ADs like birkins in hermes boutiques. 

I strongly agree with you on the bolded part. Went over to a few grey market dealers in HK and UK (Glasgow and London) and these guys had multiple sports models. What do i mean by multiple ? One guy literally had 15Daytona's and about 10 Pepsi's and a few Batman jublee bracelets.

So looks like my theory has been proven right. These ADs themselves are selling it over to these grey market dealers probably for a mark up. From the ADs point of view, why should i sell to an individual and only make a x% of profit when i could sell them off to a grey market dealer and make multiple folds with the opportunity of selling them more stuffs ?

Screw this man, really wanted to collect these watches and set a goal back in 2014 that i envisioned to at least have one of each of the steel sports models in my collection and it seems that it wouldn't happen.

Tried moving away from this goal but its impossible to just move away from something that you have a passion and keen interest for. On the other hand, paying an absurd level of premium just isn't justifiable.

Sincerely hope that ROLEX get's down to this issue asap

Offline dpkong

« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2020, 08:37:33 PM »

It's been discussed a bit on here and generally agreed that ADs sell to grey dealers as a bundle. The greys have to take a few "dead stock" for every hot model where dead stock is not just ROLEX. It could be any brand the AD carries. Don't just think about all those hot ROLEX SS sports model he has.

Back in the "old days", dealers have to take solid gold models to be able to get a steel Daytona but now since all ROLEX are hot models, dealers will have to take other non moving models from other brands.

Offline heart_killer39

• Freshie
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2020, 06:01:16 AM »

It's been discussed a bit on here and generally agreed that ADs sell to grey dealers as a bundle. The greys have to take a few "dead stock" for every hot model where dead stock is not just ROLEX. It could be any brand the AD carries. Don't just think about all those hot ROLEX SS sports model he has.

Back in the "old days", dealers have to take solid gold models to be able to get a steel Daytona but now since all ROLEX are hot models, dealers will have to take other non moving models from other brands.

That is just unfair to collectors like me who wish to own every Rolex models.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2020, 11:22:33 AM »

That is just unfair to collectors like me who wish to own every Rolex models.

Unless the AD knows you very well, he would assume you’re just another buyer waiting to get a hot model to flip in the open market...

Offline an36

• Freshie
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2020, 11:25:36 AM »
The Hour Glass told me that you have to spend RM150k annually in order to get those watches, whereas the Swiss Watch Gallery said to spend RM100k on the respective brand
Spend RM 150k in order to get what kind of watches? Rolex submariner? Pepsi in steel?

The last I heard was spending 100k on other watches, not available for discount, to buy a submariner no date at retail.. else premium for rm9k

Offline samuelk

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2020, 12:27:16 PM »
You mean the AD is asking you to do that? Spending a 100k in order to get a SS model and if not there's a premium of 9k? Which AD is this?

Offline echan78

• Freshie
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2020, 12:39:09 PM »
So its these ADs' games after all. Might as well jz shut down shop and change biz model to bulk distributors. Theres no value in being an AD like this

Offline heart_killer39

• Freshie
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2020, 12:41:10 PM »
So its these ADs' games after all. Might as well jz shut down shop and change biz model to bulk distributors. Theres no value in being an AD like this

This

Offline Cocas

« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2020, 12:44:48 PM »

Hahaha, just go online and use pre-order modal.

Win win and everyone happy. Rolex know what to make to sell, consumers get what they want. AD is useless and wasting everyone resources.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2020, 01:33:54 PM »

The last I heard was spending 100k on other watches, not available for discount, to buy a submariner no date at retail.. else premium for rm9k
100K vs 9K, premium seem to be a bargain eh.

Offline an36

• Freshie
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2020, 01:43:07 PM »

Yeah.. but it's not even one with date or GMT master or daytona

Offline dpkong

« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2020, 02:43:05 PM »

To be clear, I am not an AD nor related to one.

If you were the AD, you'd think differently. You have sales targets set by suppliers/brands. You cannot sell what you want only what is assigned to you by the source.

A decade ago, you had to sit on stock and work hard and give discounts to persuade consumers to buy the watches.

Now, people are knocking on your door every day to ask about 4 or 5 particular models. Those DJ that are 20% and still sat in displays are now snapped up at RRP. Solid gold sports models are moving as well and people will buy if you give 10% off when nobody wanted them even if you offered 25% a decade ago.

Everyone wants to buy your cheap stainless steel and less people want to buy the solid gold ones. You can see one of the posts here someone offered the 326933 but he prefer the 326934.

Things are getting better for the AD in terms of ROLEX but the other brands are still sitting there. After you browse the ROLEX area, go see all the stock sitting in the OMEGA, B&R, Hublot, JLC, Cartier ..... and maybe you can see why AD need to use the hot stock to move the dead stock.

Offline echan78

• Freshie
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2020, 05:52:09 PM »
Exactly why they need to shut down shop.theres no value here for both seller & buyer except to settle for 2nd choices & dead stocks. Just let people get what they want from grey dealers or just allow pre order online directly from the brand the model they want. so consumers can always go for their first choices of luxury timepieces rather than settle for something they do not really want in the first place. Saves a lot of heartaches for both side doesn't it? . But well this is not a perfect world and capitalism has its flaws.

Offline echan78

• Freshie
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2020, 05:53:21 PM »

Doesn't make a damn sense right?