Author Topic: Encountering a scammer  (Read 15868 times)

Offline sclai5675

• Freshie
Encountering a scammer
« on: May 03, 2018, 09:59:17 PM »
I posted a sales on mudah and a guy replied to me interested to buy my item. He said he is a Malaysian but insisted to pay using international transfer by Scotia Bank.
Sounded very fishy. When I asked more, he stopped replying me.

Offline ChrisChong

• Freshie
Re: Encountering a scammer
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:58:14 AM »
I almost come across these scammers every week, just flag them as scam on the app  :D :D

Offline summerdragon

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »
I always encounter scammers since I sell alot of valueable on mudah beside watches. Its very easy to tell, use common sense to test them and the will expose.

Offline craftedseries

• Freshie
  • Bicycles fascinate me
    • Life
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 12:17:13 AM »
It usually depends on the mood. Sometimes I go on trolling them around for 2-3 hours just for entertainment, if not I'd just directly say it to their face and block the conversation and end it.

Offline craftedseries

• Freshie
  • Bicycles fascinate me
    • Life
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 01:11:01 AM »
Also there was this one time when this scammer wanted to marry me and be my future wife. She even showed me this fake picture that said "Mudah verified". It was extremely hilarious. Totally loved annoying, I went on for 2 hours trolling the scammer!

Offline jim2106

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 01:07:44 PM »
They exist everywhere, even advertise car for sale, and need money for custom clearance etc

Offline jimmyang

• watchstories.my
    • jimmyang.com
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 08:47:28 AM »
When in doubt, don't sell. That's my motto.
IG : watchstories.my

Offline wateveritis

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 02:07:55 PM »
besides mudah, i also use carousell. typical message that i receive would be "I'm interested Chat me up on W/S ????0111xxxxx Thanks." Quite easy to differentiate the scammer and genuine buyer. Scammer just want to hit and run, they wont waste too much time on a person.

Offline dcssb

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 06:06:46 AM »
When I put up an advert in Mudah, almost all scammers contacted me asking to use whatsapp chat.  Saying they will make direct payment and asking for my bank details.  In Carousell, also, there are scammers who say "contact using whatsapp. Number is "011******"".  Checking Carousell on their profile and find they are no longer there - so confirmed as scammers.

Offline ajih

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 12:18:24 PM »
When I put up an advert in Mudah, almost all scammers contacted me asking to use whatsapp chat.  Saying they will make direct payment and asking for my bank details.  In Carousell, also, there are scammers who say "contact using whatsapp. Number is "011******"".  Checking Carousell on their profile and find they are no longer there - so confirmed as scammers.

ahhh..now i know why some seller seems to be avoiding me when i ask them to whatsapp me instead of using chat platform on mudah.. i didn't know that its their modus operandi.. good info..

Offline dcssb

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 05:48:47 PM »

ahhh..now i know why some seller seems to be avoiding me when i ask them to whatsapp me instead of using chat platform on mudah.. i didn't know that its their modus operandi.. good info..

Well, the using of the chat platform in mudah may be considered a "modus operandi", but this is recommended by mudah, as there are many scammers asking to 'chat' using whatsapp.  For those buyers who asked me to use whatsapp, my first comment is to ask for the name and location - if the buyer is genuine and serious, I will get the correct reply.  But I can say, so far, I do not get any correct replies to my question - for this, I am not really keen in chatting with those so-called "buyers" using whatsapp only as they may be sending scam messages thereafter or they may be using my mobile number in whatsapp sending messages on "loans" by 'ah long' or other adverts.

Offline zireen

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 07:32:55 PM »
I posted a sales on mudah and a guy replied to me interested to buy my item. He said he is a Malaysian but insisted to pay using international transfer by Scotia Bank.

I met the same situation as you. They will telling you to transfer back the balance to them then only they can give you the exact amount for the item. The so called scammers pattern :thumbsdown:

Offline zireen

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 07:40:06 PM »

Carousell also having the same problem? better direct contact their support team and report those scammer >:(

Offline aimbot

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 07:43:34 PM »
haha ive encounter that many times before. they all scammers. very dangerous

Offline leetac

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 07:51:57 PM »
I always encounter scammers since I sell alot of valueable on mudah beside watches. Its very easy to tell, use common sense to test them and the will expose.
yahhh its easy to spot them and usually theyll use foreign number.

Offline gaokopi

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 07:47:35 PM »

didn't u try with other online website? maybe better than mudah, less scammers and safer ???

Offline sith leh

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 07:49:51 PM »

Carousell also having the same problem? better direct contact their support team and report those scammer >:(

not really. because only serious buyer can come up to chat you and asked for your number if they confirm buying from you. people from mudah can directly msg you on whatsapp lor

Offline gaokopi

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 07:53:27 PM »
besides mudah, i also use carousell. typical message that i receive would be "I'm interested Chat me up on W/S ????0111xxxxx Thanks." Quite easy to differentiate the scammer and genuine buyer. Scammer just want to hit and run, they wont waste too much time on a person.

Is carousell has many case like this also? i tot it would be lesser since ppl now more concern about the safety in internet website

Offline dark varder

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 07:53:42 PM »
They exist everywhere, even advertise car for sale, and need money for custom clearance etc
yep everywhere oso got one. easy to spot them lor. better use less scammer platform to sell things

Offline gaokopi

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 07:59:34 PM »

why dont you just use the chat platform? some of the website they will need ur chat with buyer as a proof when u met scammers

Offline bakchang

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 06:42:58 PM »

so far i use carousell is ok. seldom hear about their bad reviews also

Offline bakchang

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 06:45:10 PM »

didn't u try with other online website? maybe better than mudah, less scammers and safer ???

now ppl normally use carousell, lazada, shopee... i heard they say mudah is not safe and a lot of scammers

Offline bakchang

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 06:51:10 PM »

why dont you just use the chat platform? some of the website they will need ur chat with buyer as a proof when u met scammers

better use the chat platform rather than whatsapp. it is safer and you can track the buyer profile on the website too

Offline aimbot

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 08:05:43 PM »

Is carousell has many case like this also? i tot it would be lesser since ppl now more concern about the safety in internet website

rarely happen as if someone want to cheat you they will hve to message you on the apps first and you can easily spot if they are scammers or real buyers before decide to sell to them.

Offline leetac

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 08:08:22 PM »

agree. less problem about scammers or anything. scammers will only go to platform that easy for them to cheat only lor
so far i use carousell is ok. seldom hear about their bad reviews also