Author Topic: Anyone out there into Adventure Watches?  (Read 5954 times)

Offline bentarazero

• Freshie
  • Remember, Remember. The fifth of November.
Anyone out there into Adventure Watches?
« on: March 28, 2013, 09:33:48 PM »
Hi,

I'm pretty sure there are adventure nuts out there and having an "adventure" watch is a relative must (of course you can carry individual instruments such as a compass (and you even have compass apps on your phone these days) etc). But I wonder what do you guys think is actually relevant in terms of function. Most watches that I see carry barometer, thermometer and sometimes compass functions; and prices do vary. Any one out there care to share?

Offline dpkong

Re: Anyone out there into Adventure Watches?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 10:08:49 PM »
For me, adventure watch = Explorer II

Compass and barometer should be separate instruments

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 10:18:59 PM »
pro trek

Offline STT1987

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 12:45:02 AM »
Tissot T-Touch is a pretty good adventure watch. My complaint is that they seem relatively fragile. I had two of them and they both broke down approx a year after I bought them, after the warranty expired. Good for Tissot, bad for me. After I got them repaired I sold them away to my cousins who were going to University. While they worked, they were fun to use; but they were not robust and didn't work when wet.

The Casio Pro-Trek is a better choice for somebody who will use it in the field. I have a friend that uses one, strap broke but the watch still works.

I agree though, if you are really going to rely on something as important as a compass - it really should be a real separate one. The watch compass is a fallback novelty.
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline bentarazero

• Freshie
  • Remember, Remember. The fifth of November.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 06:04:48 AM »
Cool. Good input on the separate instrument.

I recently got myself a Timex Expedition Digital watch (bought it on Amazon as selection in Malaysia is relatively thin) after going through the net for reviews and such. Plan to use it in my singletrack mountainbike rides.

What I saw available in the market are predominantly Protreks and Suunto and some Polar watches. Anyone had any experience with Suunto and Polar. I love most of the Suuntos but kept away as it seems to be too pretty and pricey to be taken into rough and possibly tumbling mountainbike rides
 What do you guys think?

Offline Lurch

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 06:52:26 AM »
i use my trusty G shock DW5600E with mini compass attached on the strap for my biking, hiking and swimming activities. its compact and convenient unlike the protrek series which may be too big and heavy at times

Offline squasub

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 08:18:04 AM »
i have no experience with suunto or polar but i like casio. Bought watch below for my brother. It has barometer,altimeter and thermometer..and the backlight is cool.

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 08:19:43 AM »
I use Casio Protrek. Very reliable and user friendly. Not like other adventure watch is just over rated. Bring along a separate compass, GPS and other navi outdoor equipment if you camping or trekking through the very remote area. I use Protrek because it is water proof and as a backup in case the other navi equipment broke or you accidentally drop the other navi equipment into river (most gps and compass not water resist) . You never know what will happen in jungle. Remember to calibrate the compass function regularly by using the real compass as a reference to enhance the accuracy of compass function.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 10:02:35 AM »
Suunto.

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 08:55:39 AM »
I think G-shock will be a good candidate for your requirement.
Robust, reliable, relatively affordable, and definitely respected among "adventurous watcher".

For my choice, Mudman 9000 G9000. If you like solar energy, G9300.

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 12:08:24 PM »
Solar watch sounds cool, man. Nature powered!  :thumbsup:
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline davidtth

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 12:43:48 PM »
G-Shock Tough Solar range is definitely a good buy, no need for battery. I own the Riseman.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 01:59:21 PM »
The only digital quartz watch I have..
An aluminium and carbon fibre cased Suunto Metron
Over the > 12 years, its been through Outward Bound School 26 day jungle course, numerous scuba trips as well as eco-challenge multi-day events....always working reliably

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:02:54 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 08:03:31 AM »
ABC watch? how about mechanical AB watch ?  ;D

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introducing-the-breva-gnie-01-the-worlds-first-watch-with-both-an-altimeter-and-a-barometer

Thou i doubt the ruggedness, no one wanted to be caught in the mud with white gold or pink gold watch. although i think the mud will probably drip of ;D

Offline STT1987

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »
ABC watch? how about mechanical AB watch ?  ;D

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introducing-the-breva-gnie-01-the-worlds-first-watch-with-both-an-altimeter-and-a-barometer

150000 Swiss Franc equals 488688.00 Malaysian Ringgit

If you want to go tramping into the jungle with a precious metal dress watch with exotic complications that's worth nearly half a million ringgit (or a very decent high end car)....
 :mooning:  :Laughing_on_floor:  :Cheers:  :Startled:  :Praying:  :o
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »

If you want to go tramping into the jungle with a precious metal dress watch with exotic complications that's worth nearly half a million ringgit (or a very decent high end car)....
 :mooning:  :Laughing_on_floor:  :Cheers:  :Startled:  :Praying:  :o

its called glamping.  :Cheers:

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 03:25:57 PM »
I'm more of an old school adventurer. So I use this instead: Seiko Prospex Fieldmaster SBDC011

Direction using the sun and time....

In case of problems, handy ground-air signal code...

Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 09:54:06 AM »
This is not bad either.

Sort of Casio Pathfinder, just in a slicker manner. and emptier wallet, of course.  ;D

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 01:21:55 PM »
in the preowned market, the price of an Elemental or The One gives the U1 a run for it;s money. Real unique and interesting concept and design.

This is not bad either.

Sort of Casio Pathfinder, just in a slicker manner. and emptier wallet, of course.  ;D

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline Cocas

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2019, 10:26:27 AM »
MM300