Author Topic: Watch Winder  (Read 5836 times)

Offline donavan1986

Watch Winder
« on: October 25, 2018, 06:00:19 AM »
Hi Guys,

I just bought a watch winder. I have install it nicely on my desk and put in my watch into it. However, after one whole night my watch still dead. May i know what i have done wrong?

I have set the winder at the highest winding rate per day and set to Auto clockwise and anti clockwise setting.

My watch is TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 5 day/date.

Hope that you all can help advise on this. Appreciate your advices.

Thanks in advance.

Offline iffy38

Re: Watch Winder
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 08:07:59 AM »
I would take the watch out, give it a small shake, and see if it runs.

I have this experience before. Regardless of how wound the springs are, the escapement may need a small shake to transfer its first impulse to the balance wheel.

If it still doesn't work, then what is the angle of your watch relative to the table when it is placed on the winder?

Calibre 5 has a bi directional winding rotor, so it doesnt matter if clockwise/counter clockwise.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:21:59 AM by iffy38 »

Offline donavan1986

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 01:33:00 PM »
I would take the watch out, give it a small shake, and see if it runs.

I have this experience before. Regardless of how wound the springs are, the escapement may need a small shake to transfer its first impulse to the balance wheel.

If it still doesn't work, then what is the angle of your watch relative to the table when it is placed on the winder?

Calibre 5 has a bi directional winding rotor, so it doesnt matter if clockwise/counter clockwise.
Thank you very much. I have take out the watch this morning before i come to work and give it a shake before putting the watch back to the winder.

I will check on this again when i get home today. I am using the Versa watch winder. I read a lot of post suggesting that this is a very good one.

Offline Stv77

• Freshie
  • Just in time
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 08:53:59 AM »
maybe your watch disc need service

Offline iffy38

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 05:30:34 PM »

Thank you very much. I have take out the watch this morning before i come to work and give it a shake before putting the watch back to the winder.

I will check on this again when i get home today. I am using the Versa watch winder. I read a lot of post suggesting that this is a very good one.

I presume the watch winds up when you wear it on your wrist?

By the way, you didn't answer my 2nd question.

Offline donavan1986

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 08:19:57 AM »

I presume the watch winds up when you wear it on your wrist?

By the way, you didn't answer my 2nd question.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes it do winds up when i wear it.

About the angle. estimated about 60 degree. It is the angle of the watch winder. I read a lot of review about it saying that it is a good winder only i purchase it.

Offline iffy38

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 09:05:49 AM »
I presume it is working now? If not, try to wedge something to lift the winder from the back, so the watch is 90 degrees to the table.

This would give the rotor the maximum gravitational vector on its winding plane. Not an elegant way to explain it, but you know what i mean. I had one watch that cannot be wound on my winder. One day i did this and voila.

If that doesn't work, while doing that, also try also to set the winder to wind clockwise only. If not, counterclockwise only. Maybe the reversing gear on the movement is not engaging right.

If the winder has good reviews, it means likely your watch winding mechanism is not well. When was the last time you service it?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:31:51 AM by iffy38 »

Offline donavan1986

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 01:54:04 PM »
I presume it is working now? If not, try to wedge something to lift the winder from the back, so the watch is 90 degrees to the table.

This would give the rotor the maximum gravitational vector on its winding plane. Not an elegant way to explain it, but you know what i mean. I had one watch that cannot be wound on my winder. One day i did this and voila.

If that doesn't work, while doing that, also try also to set the winder to wind clockwise only. If not, counterclockwise only. Maybe the reversing gear on the movement is not engaging right.

If the winder has good reviews, it means likely your watch winding mechanism is not well. When was the last time you service it?

I will try that tonight.

I bought the watch on March 2015. Haven't send it to service since then. The beginning first 2 years i very seldom wear but after that a lot of friends told me that if you do not wear it often, the oil in the mechanism will dry off very easily. So i started to wear it more often.

Initially the watch works well but later the watch become not so long lasting. I mean the power reserve. At first i thought that it is because i have less movement so i go to purchase the watch winder but it doesn't work as well.

Hmm...