Author Topic: Seiko VS Certina  (Read 7614 times)

Offline felix1318

Seiko VS Certina
« on: October 21, 2018, 06:27:40 PM »
Hello, I'm new to watch collecting, and new to the forum :)

Quick question, I was interested with the Seiko Prospect Diver's watch Automatic with manual winding at 1st, then I saw Certina DS Action Diver Powermatic 80 which is also a nice diver's watch but with double the price. As I am a poor bastard, just wanted to know is the Certina worth getting? Or just save some RM and get the Seiko?

Thank you.

Offline Omnipotent

Re: Seiko VS Certina
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 07:42:16 PM »
Seiko

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 05:55:55 AM »
Get the Seiko first..
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline felix1318

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 06:17:12 AM »
Thx for the advice, but I've read somewhere saying that the movement 4R35 of the Seiko is not that good, and the accuracy on it is +45 to -35 seconds per day, stated in Seiko Official Website. I don't know much about Certina brand tho, but I know It's swiss made...

Offline freefighter

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 06:57:17 AM »
The 4R series of Seiko Movements are the most entry-level of all Seiko mechanical watches. Seiko reserves their mid-end 6R for pricier watches, and their highest end 9R for Grand Seiko.

Certina is actually a brand under the Swatch group and as such, benefits from ETA (the world's biggest movement maker) now supplying to all Swatch group brands (including the famed Omega, Longines etc.) almost exclusively. However, they are one of those that no one really recognises.

The Powermatic movement was actually first released for Tissot (also a Swatch group brand), although deemed entry level, is a fairly new movement with very long power reserve (80 hours). This means you can go for 3+ days without worrying about winding. Given that it's also automatic, you can even afford to take a 3 day weekend and be assured it will be find without winding when you pick it up the next week.

So here's the toss-up:
Brand Equity (Recognizability) + Heritage: Seiko
Movement Quality / Convenience: Certina
Aesthetics: Up to you.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Offline felix1318

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 07:07:11 AM »
The 4R series of Seiko Movements are the most entry-level of all Seiko mechanical watches. Seiko reserves their mid-end 6R for pricier watches, and their highest end 9R for Grand Seiko.

Certina is actually a brand under the Swatch group and as such, benefits from ETA (the world's biggest movement maker) now supplying to all Swatch group brands (including the famed Omega, Longines etc.) almost exclusively. However, they are one of those that no one really recognises.

The Powermatic movement was actually first released for Tissot (also a Swatch group brand), although deemed entry level, is a fairly new movement with very long power reserve (80 hours). This means you can go for 3+ days without worrying about winding. Given that it's also automatic, you can even afford to take a 3 day weekend and be assured it will be find without winding when you pick it up the next week.

So here's the toss-up:
Brand Equity (Recognizability) + Heritage: Seiko
Movement Quality / Convenience: Certina
Aesthetics: Up to you.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Really appreciate your awesome explanation freefighter... Thank you... Now I have an idea what to choose...   :)

Offline freefighter

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 07:37:56 AM »
No worries. Keep in mind though that Seiko is a king of reliability + affordable. It's also why the fellow friends here in this forum will point you to Seiko if you are completely new and unsure.

Ultimately, get something that appeals to you personally. :)

Offline felix1318

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 11:21:46 AM »
Got it, thx sifu.

Offline Hansard

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 05:06:12 PM »
Get the Seiko first..

I really like this advice. Meoramri basically tells you to get both eventually. Which is the only right answer. haha

Offline Cocas

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 01:15:49 PM »
ETA powermatic 80 is still considered as a new movement, sometimes if you're unlucky, the movement can give you a lot of issue.

Seiko 4R series movement is a more reliable movement but it's very boring.

I batjing both Certina DS and Seiko Diver watches in hot shower before, so in term of water resistant reliability, they are good.

Looking at them at a glance, I will choose Seiko as its dial is unique.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 01:17:43 PM by Cocas »