Author Topic: Infographic Series - The Ones to Watch  (Read 14019 times)

Offline freefighter

Infographic Series - The Ones to Watch
« on: October 08, 2018, 08:15:39 AM »
Intro & Context:

Hi all. First and foremost, a simple confession, I caught the 'horological bug' in 2017. As a result of thirst for knowledge and (no doubt) time piece acquisitions, I started to read a lot of online resources about the history and evolution of some of the famous timepieces most of us here love and love to own.

I notice that a lot of fellow forummers (newbies in particular) started the way I did, i.e. not knowing much about watches, or perhaps don't have the patience to really know more beyond buying advise - i.e. can advise me which watch to buy bro?

So here is my own personal effort to help elevate our local community's knowledge since I have nothing better to do with the information anyway.  :)

Format:
  • I have created a series of Instagram-friendly infographics called "The Ones to Watch" which is about the icons of our popular brands. With each entry, I will put some basic trivia about the watches, followed by my own personal 'highly opinionated' commentary (some call it trolling).
  • Each new series will focus on ONE brand. I will subjectively identify what I feel are Legendary Icons, Modern Icons and Honorable Mentions. Some of course won't make the cut.
  • My list will only feature current catalogue models, and does not include limited editions. Reason being, if you can't even get them anymore from brand boutiques and ADs, it doesn't encourage us to buy anyway. :D
  • As a bumper debut, I will update for 3 days consecutively. Following this, I aim to release a new entry every 2 days.
  • Once I'm done with a brand, I will move to another brand. Series 1 is Rolex (our MWF favourite), and Series 2 is Omega. My planned 3rd is Tag Heuer. Following this, I'm open to suggestions but have in the pipeline to look into JLC, Zenith and Breitling.
  • I  am not a watch professional - purely a watch addict. So please don't flame me for my amateur work!
  • If you like what you see, like and follow my posts on Instagram to keep updated. https://www.instagram.com/watchaddict.wt/

Appreciate your support and do let me know if I have the facts wrong. Tell me if you like what you see - it keeps me motivated to do this. Of course, be reminded that I will include my opinion and some may feel offended by it. I encourage you to treat them as a point of view, to which you may disagree.

Without further ado, my first post.
https://instagram.com/p/BoltcL-BaW8/

Trivia:
First launched in 1953, the diving icon of Rolex retains the same DNA as the very first model even though the current day variant now has a Maxi-case and ceramic bezel. The Submariner was designed to be a professional diver’s watch and through Hans Wildorf’s marketing genius, was affixed to a Bathyscape deep-diving submarine, diving 300+ metres and resurfacing still in working condition. The Submariner’s simple good looks and famed reliability as a luxury mechanical sports watch, added with its silver screen presence via Sean Connery’s James Bond are just some of the many reasons it has achieved legendary status.

WatchAddict (WA)'s View:
There is a classiness to the watch that somehow has been lost a little when the bezel became thicker and the symmetry was broken by the cyclops on the date edition. And don’t get me started on Kermit, Hulk and Smurf – these are really for acquired tastes. My vote still goes to the no-date version as it epitomises the timeless design of the Submariner best. Regardless, it will definitely remain a best-seller for years to come. Rolex, if it’s not too much to ask, could you please give the Glide-lock feature to other watches as well?

Offline dualcarb

Re: Infographic Series - The Ones to Watch
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 08:36:16 AM »
Very nice, I’m sure many here will appreciate the time, effort and information which you have compiled.

Looking forward to your next post.

Offline flyingtoast

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 12:46:48 PM »
Well done on this post! Keen to see more from you soon.

Can’t agree more with the glide lock feature. It’s weird that a datejust will have the glide lock and not an Explorer.

Oh and one suggestion, if you’re super keen on the subs, look for a book online called “Rolex Submariner Story” by Guido Mondani & Lele Ravangani. They have a full record of all subs to date and it’s history. They have other books regarding collecting subs as well so you could delve into those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline freefighter

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 07:10:29 AM »
Thanks for the support guys.
The next post comes with a warning - this may be offensive to some, so reader discretion advised.
https://instagram.com/p/BosXWfshza5/

Trivia:
Released in 1955, this icon gained the name Daytona in line with the famed speedway in 1963, one year after Rolex became the official timekeeper of the legendary race. The watch became synonymous with this racetrack, and gained further fame via Paul Newman, an actor, racer and gentleman; a celebrity of the era. His unsponsored association with the watch and motor racing elevated the Daytona to stratospheric levels. Before running on the current in-house 4130 movement, it once used a modified El Primero automatic as part of the post-quartz revival. Its cult status was cemented when a personal watch by Paul Newman broke the watch auction record in 2017 to be the most expensive watch ever sold for $17.8m.

WatchAddict (WA)'s View:
Over-rated and over-priced. Don’t get me wrong, the legendary Newman Daytona is great; i.e. when it was a pure motor racing tool watch with the clean art deco inspired and iconic panda dial aesthetic. But in its current iteration, tell me how anyone can justify paying over the odds for a watch that has reached cult status mainly by a man that today’s generation don’t relate to? The new design arguably makes the dial look even smaller and busier than before. I also think the current model holds the record for the most number of non-functional words on a chronograph. Perhaps the grey market justifies charging an extra 10% premium for every additional word on the dial.

Offline freefighter

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 06:14:25 AM »
The 3rd post is up. Next one on Friday!
https://instagram.com/p/Bou1m7Whbo2/

Trivia:
The classic watch that has its history linked to a time before Rolex’s sports models. The Datejust was launched in 1945 to commemorate Rolex’s 40th anniversary. It incorporates a screw down crown, water resistant Oyster case and became the first watch to have a self-changing date complication. Interestingly the synonymous Datejust cyclops magnifier only becomes part of its identity in 1954. Combined with the instantly recognisable fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet, the Datejust has all the recognisable features found in almost all of Rolex’s other watches. You’d also be spoilt for choice as it comes in many dial, material and size options.

WatchAddict (WA)'s View:
WA’s View: This is as dressy and timeless as Rolex gets, and probably the one model that can make me re-think non-white metals – but only when I start greying. Some may even say that if you just have to have one Rolex, this could be it. However, this is also the exact model that is directly associated in the Asian world with newfound wealth and showiness. It does not help that a lot of the owners that created this stigma tend to be of an older age, which lessens the appeal of the watch to the younger buyers. The Datejust deserves to be up there with the legends and thus the stigma is unfortunate. I must say though that the Datejust looks really good when worn on a woman’s wrist.

Offline freefighter

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 05:24:33 AM »
Happy Friday everyone!
Upgraded to a full visual version this time. Do you prefer this format or the previous plain format?

Offline shahrin.hilmy

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 07:25:39 AM »
Good morning.

I prefer the new format. Thanks for the effort. It’s a good & informative sharing. Also has followed you on Instagram!

Offline entinggi

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 07:36:42 AM »
Amazing job.. Keep it up.. whats next in line in the pipe besides rolex? chrono series?

Offline freefighter

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 07:41:24 AM »
Good morning.

I prefer the new format. Thanks for the effort. It’s a good & informative sharing. Also has followed you on Instagram!

Thanks for the feedback and the support! Makes it worth the extra effort!

Offline freefighter

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 07:42:42 AM »
Amazing job.. Keep it up.. whats next in line in the pipe besides rolex? chrono series?

Thanks!
Series #2 will be Omega.
Series #3 will be Tag Heuer.
Series #4 I might open to voting and feedback - but right now pipeline is likely to be Jaeger LeCoultre.

Offline entinggi

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 07:44:22 AM »

Thanks!
Series #2 will be Omega.
Series #3 will be Tag Heuer.
Series #4 I might open to voting and feedback - but right now pipeline is likely to be Jaeger LeCoultre.

Cool can't wait

Offline iffy38

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 08:04:44 AM »
May I suggest 1-2 less famous brands but still make good watches, such as Maurice Lacroix, Arnold and Son, etc.

Offline freefighter

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 08:18:57 AM »
May I suggest 1-2 less famous brands but still make good watches, such as Maurice Lacroix, Arnold and Son, etc.

Can certainly consider - will need to ramp up my knowledge-base a bit first so that I at least pay the brands sufficient respect. Do point out if you have any good resources for me to familiarise with bro iffy38!

Offline iffy38

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »
There are other good brands out there that get a lot less love, companies like Vacheron, Longines, Breguet, the movement finishing darling A.Lange & Sohne, on top of the Maurice Lacroix and Arnold & Son I mentioned earlier.

Mix it up a little bit.

When it comes to their history, I think the old boy Wikipedia would be your best friend. Some brands may be hard to pronounce, ie: Lacroix is pronounced as "Lar Kwah", Breguet is "...." so perhaps you can start with that.

Offline dstudio10

• Freshie
Infographic Series - The Ones to Watch
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 06:19:33 PM »
Good stuff.. GMT is certainly a great piece that is handsome, versatile and well respected.

Happy Friday everyone!
Upgraded to a full visual version this time. Do you prefer this format or the previous plain format?

Offline roystock

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 07:37:34 AM »
Great job. Thanks for the effort in putting this together. Great Saturday morning read

Offline freefighter

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 06:19:25 AM »
Have decided to apply the same format to all previous entries.
My debut post on the legendary Submariner now jazzed up visually:
https://instagram.com/p/Bo4c3z5gi1I/

Offline freefighter

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 06:21:14 AM »
The second debut entry on Daytona with the visual upgrades:
https://instagram.com/p/Bo4dIvnAHsN/

Offline freefighter

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2018, 06:23:38 AM »
Third entry now also updated - Datejust.
https://instagram.com/p/Bo4dT--g9Hg/

Wrapping up legendary icons of Rolex and moving now to category 2: Modern icons.

Offline freefighter

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2018, 06:26:09 AM »
And finally the entry that kickstarted the new format, minorly revised but being linked here as I will aim to do a clean up and remove the older versions on the old format from instagram very soon.
GMT Master II
https://instagram.com/p/Bo5H83YgeXm/

Offline freefighter

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2018, 12:55:34 PM »
And here’s the next entry:
https://instagram.com/p/Bo5IbguAetr/
Feel free to follow me on Instagram at https://instagram.com/watchaddict.wt
Updates go live every two days.

Offline freefighter

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 05:47:40 AM »
New entry, second to last for Rolex.
https://instagram.com/p/Bo9fA-Lglf1/

Offline freefighter

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 05:31:27 AM »
And finally to close out Series #1, the last entry for Rolex.

https://instagram.com/p/BpCkrd7g_2I/

Next update this Saturday - Series #2 Omega.
Stay tuned!

Offline andy99

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 08:54:56 AM »
Great job and great stuff to read. Claps!!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Offline Mitevo9

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 07:48:04 PM »
Informative and good to read. Thanks for the effort and looking forward to reading more right here.
Cheers.