Author Topic: Citizen Promaster Fugu Diver  (Read 8060 times)

Offline artyca

Citizen Promaster Fugu Diver
« on: September 22, 2018, 09:33:50 PM »
I'm an avid collector of Seiko dive watches and was thinking recently of getting an SKX009 "Pepsi bezel" to complement my SKX007. However, I got word of a comeback from Citizen with the relaunch of the NY0040 which was the arch rival of the SKX a few decades ago.

After doing some research, I found out that the Citizen Promaster NY0040 was being launched in a limited run of 1,000 pieces in Asia and I knew I had to get the Pepsi bezel variant of this instead! I just wasn't sure how many pieces would come to Malaysia and whether I could get my hands on one or not.

Fast forward a few months and I'm glad to announce that I picked mine up today from Isetan Japan Store.

First impressions:
Quirky and fun packaging in the shape of a diving tank. Beats any packaging from Seiko by miles!
Very good build quality with a perfect size of 42mm. The watch sits perfectly on a wrist and the PU strap is definitely more pliant compared to the Seiko SKX.
The Pepsi bezel is just the right shade of metallic red and blue and complements the black dial and red minute hand perfectly. The tip of the second hand is also red!
Day and date window has a black background with white wordings which looks good but makes legibility poorer.
The crown is at 8 o'clock so this watch is ideal for southpaws like me (although I still wear my watches on the left wrist).
I like the decompression tables printed on the PU strap although I'm more of a desk diver. But it really shows that this is a real tool watch for diving and satisfies the geek in me.
Lume is amazing in the dark and I like the shade of blue. Interestingly, the lume on the bezel is a green dot instead which makes it more legible in the dark.

To summarize, Citizen has clearly come out with an amazing package at a great price to compete with Seiko. The fact that this is a limited edition watch with a caseback engraved with the Fugu / puffer fish makes it even more desirable.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the pictures!

Offline Jedirat

Re: Citizen Promaster Fugu Diver
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 01:29:11 PM »
Wear it in good health, bro.

My Promaster said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jamestan119

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 02:51:21 AM »
Omg, that lume!!!  :Startled: :Startled: :Startled: :Startled: :Startled: :Startled: :Startled: :Startled:

Offline chrisc

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 07:33:02 PM »
nice...mine is also a limited NY0040
Current Possession
---------------
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean XL
Ball Engineer II Diver - Orange Dial
Benarus World Diver GMT - Black Dial/ Blue GMT hands (Limited Edition)
Luminox 3050 Colormark - Blackout
Casio G-Shock GA-100-1A1
Casio G-Shock GX-56-4

Offline Gary Teong

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 05:10:57 PM »
Downright one of the best watch box design out there

Offline Zaini

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 07:44:50 AM »
I've read somewhere that Seiko is the dive watch that you wore to the office and Citizen is the watch that you wore to diving. If I haven't found my SKX007 at great price point years ago, the NY0040 would have been an easy choice. Wear it in good health mate.