Author Topic: Which brand has the best Second Hand Value  (Read 9450 times)

Offline irmavep23

• Freshie
Which brand has the best Second Hand Value
« on: August 01, 2018, 12:14:52 PM »
Many of my friend who said Rolex has the best second hand value for trade in but in my own experience that is not the case. I have almost lost 7K from the first Rolex watch that i used for 2 years. Any opinion on this?

Offline Hy8ogen

• Freshie
Re: Which brand has the best Second Hand Value
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 12:34:40 PM »
Rolex by far has the best second hand value. However that does not mean ALL their watches have great resale value.

For example, a GMT Master BLNR will most certainly retains in value, heck it might even go up from their msrp.

On the other hand a rose gold pearl master would most probably lose 20% of its value.

Honestly losing 7k on a 30k watch is not that bad. Look up the 2nd value of a Blancpain and you'll see haha.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline irmavep23

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 01:01:06 PM »
i lost 7 k on a 18k watches.. :(

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 03:10:59 PM »
in general, Rolex command quite a reasonable resale value.  But this cannot be true if one bought a piece at premium and then have to sell it quickly for liquidation.  Or if a watch was purchase (often on impulse) at higher price without much homework. 
Different models will also come into play.  I dont expect dressy models with flowery or patterned dials to hold value as well as their sporty cousins.

So you sold a Rolex for 11k after purchasing it for 18k?
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline iffy38

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 03:20:52 PM »
Did u sell it to a shop? If yes then it sounds like the profit margin of the shop. Did u do your research and ask several shops and check rough market value? And which model? 18k as in rm18k or 18k gold watch?

Offline irmavep23

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 03:51:11 PM »
I haven't sell yet. I'm trying to sell here.. But got I quoted price from one shop less than 10k highest I could get is 11.its a basic watch without any gold or stones

Offline irmavep23

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 03:54:05 PM »
Did u sell it to a shop? If yes then it sounds like the profit margin of the shop. Did u do your research and ask several shops and check rough market value? And which model? 18k as in rm18k or 18k gold watch?

I tried to went thru few websites but can't get a gage what's the real market value.

Asked around 3 shops that take pre owned and they quoted me from less to 10k to max 11k

18k is the price that i bought

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 03:57:09 PM »
wont go into details of some shops having reputation for lowballing but do consider the convenience. 

Provided you do your homework (find out at least  a reasonable price for the watch you're selling + the condition), imagine how easy it is to walk in, pass the watch to them and collect your cash and walk away. 

Selling it your self is not without difficulties.  Having to reply to all the offers, meeting up potential buyers, posting the watch if outstation, listening to complaints AFTER buyer have collected the watch, etc etc. 
And you do know the recent cases of watch buyers robbing sellers.

But like i said, do a proper homework.  But it looks like 3 shops quoted you similar pricing, so it cant be that `wrong'.

If the price is you bought is 18k...and current preowned price is..say 16-18k.....i am not surprised you were quoted 11k. 

Offline irmavep23

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 04:01:54 PM »
Can you provide me with some tips how to get the market value?.. The problem I having now is I couldn't get the value hence I'm trying to sell It on my own, knowing some risk like robbers. If the market value doesn't have a big gap with the price of the shop offered of course I would op to sell to them

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 04:05:46 PM »
browse, browse, browse...

mudah, preowned shops, MWF, carousell,

You can also browse international sites selling rolex watches in USD...Rolex forum, etc etc...

All these will narrow down the pricing.

What model do you have? year? full set? polished? unpolished? condition?

Offline irmavep23

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 04:24:30 PM »
PM sent

Offline koryong

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 04:48:40 PM »
Just post it up here and get some opinions - there are legitimate collectors here who are genuinely helpful ie. Not resellers  ;)

Offline iffy38

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 05:53:55 PM »
Yes, agree do post it here.

Chrono24 under "Watch Collection" mode will tell you a rough range of values. Normally that is good enough for me and you can only get that price if you sell it privately. If you sell to a shop, for popular models like Subs, the margin might be RM3-5k. For less popular models, expect them to take a larger margin.

Just like selling cars. I was quoted ridiculous numbers for my car last time when i wanted to sell it. Its quick in and out. But hell the number is low.

Posted it in mudah, sold it after 4 months, 30++ viewings for a lot higher than what the used car quoted me.

Offline irmavep23

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »
I always got scanner whenever I posted in mudah. Sigh... How long does it takes the moderator to approve classified here usually

Chrono24 under "Watch Collection" mode will tell you a rough range of values. Normally that is good enough for me and you can only get that price if you sell it privately. If you sell to a shop, for popular models like Subs, the margin might be RM3-5k. For less popular models, expect them to take a larger margin.

Just like selling cars. I was quoted ridiculous numbers for my car last time when i wanted to sell it. Its quick in and out. But hell the number is low.

Posted it in mudah, sold it after 4 months, 30++ viewings for a lot higher than what the used car quoted me.

Sent from my T03 using Tapatalk

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 06:53:38 PM »
If it is an RM18k watch bought new from an AD, likely the rm11k is the standard a grey market dealer will offer. Selling on your own should net you approximately RM13k. Sounds like the model you are offloading would be either a datejust, date or oyster perpetual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline irmavep23

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 06:55:44 PM »
Grey market? There is one reputable shop even offer me much lower than Grey market shop lol
If it is an RM18k watch bought new from an AD, likely the rm11k is the standard a grey market dealer will offer. Selling on your own should net you approximately RM13k. Sounds like the model you are offloading would be either a datejust, date or oyster perpetual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline koryong

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 07:10:21 PM »
18k new is likely an Oyster Perpetual ...

Offline koryong

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 08:01:15 PM »
Just saw your ad .... you should not have a problem selling at your price or thereabouts, which I think is fair, given the fact it's from a local AD & barely 2 years old.

Love the olive green .. :thumbsup:

Offline irmavep23

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 08:02:26 PM »
Just saw your ad .... you should not have a problem selling at your price or thereabouts, which I think is fair, given the fact it's from a local AD & barely 2 years old.

Love the olive green ..
Finger crossed....

Offline iffy38

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 10:08:19 PM »
I always got scanner whenever I posted in mudah. Sigh... How long does it takes the moderator to approve classified here usually

Well, the good and the bad. They normally come in pairs.

I see that you bought new from AD. The watch you bought, although its a nice watch, is not an extremely hot watch ( Hot like Daytona ), and 2 years is too short a time to be able to "get back more than you paid for" from buying from AD to selling to a watch seller. Try 5-10 years and you may break even.

And Rolex is considered a watch with good resale. Another is Patek but unless its an Aquanaut/Nautilus ( anything else? ), 2 years is still not sufficient get back more than you paid for if you buy from AD and sell to a watch seller. I have 1 watch that was only getting 35% after 3 years.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:15:19 PM by iffy38 »

Offline irmavep23

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2018, 10:18:54 PM »
Does that means the longer u keep the more value it gets?

I see that you bought new from AD. The watch you bought, although its a nice watch, is not an extremely hot watch ( Hot like Daytona ), and 2 years is too short a time to be able to "get back more than you paid for" from buying from AD to selling to a watch seller. Try 5-10 years and you may break even.

And Rolex is considered a watch with good resale. Another is Patek but unless its an Aquanaut/Nautilus ( anything else? ), 2 years is still not sufficient get back more than you paid for if you buy from AD and sell to a watch seller. I have 1 watch that was only getting 35% after 3 years.

Offline iffy38

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2018, 10:26:44 PM »

If you are looking at an investment POV, nothing is guaranteed.

But Rolex do increase MSRP every now and then, so after the initial hit ( AD to selling to watch shop ), there is a good chance you could get more than what you paid for if you wait long enough. If your watch is hot watch, then anything is possible.

Offline yehlai

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2018, 11:25:34 PM »
Many of my friend who said Rolex has the best second hand value for trade in but in my own experience that is not the case. I have almost lost 7K from the first Rolex watch that i used for 2 years. Any opinion on this?
try Omega, easily 40% loss

Offline irmavep23

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2018, 11:33:28 PM »
I see. Thanks for all the tips!

If you are looking at an investment POV, nothing is guaranteed.

But Rolex do increase MSRP every now and then, so after the initial hit ( AD to selling to watch shop ), there is a good chance you could get more than what you paid for if you wait long enough. If your watch is hot watch, then anything is possible.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 10:09:13 AM »
Having flip quite a few watches todate, I would also chalk in that Rolex (I qualify, selected sports watches) seemed to hold its value well. If you have the holy trinity in its collection i.e. Submariner, GMT-Master ii, and Daytona; you should not have any issues getting back your purchased price after some time; given that these models tend to appreciate pretty well. However, the same can't be said about Datejust, Day-Date, Milgauss, and the likes. And sometimes, other elements come into play. When I had the SD4k, the secondary pricing was relatively low but once it was discontinued, it went up quite substantially and there were also a surge in demand suddenly.

Check out the pricing for PP Nautilus and the premium that BNIB pieces were doing over the MSRP. At the end of the day, it's all about the demand and supply; and if you like certain models and they in turn are part of the highly-demanded pieces in market, then you could have your cake and eat it too.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |