Author Topic: Smart Watches  (Read 6233 times)

Offline vrscse23

• Freshie
Smart Watches
« on: July 01, 2018, 07:31:33 PM »
My friend made a comment that smart watches like Garmin Samsung etc are getting more and more popular these days.
Your comments on this

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline terryiwc

Re: Smart Watches
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 05:46:51 AM »
Smart watches are really good if you are into fitness tracking and notifications from your smartphones. my personal experience with apple watch is verygood if you dont mind having to charge them daily..

Offline dexson

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 08:09:32 AM »
I personally prefer fitness watch & activity trackers than "smartwatch". Here's my take.

My Garmin Fenix 3HR (fitness watch) tracks my daily cycling activities down to plotting my cycling map, cadence, speed, heart rate & etc so that I can monitor my improvements and know when to push myself or when to rest. - I only wear this during training/workout sessions.

My Garmin vivosmart 3 (activity tracker) tracks my normal day to day steps, stairs, all day HR - I wear this on my right hand all the time except sleeping.

On my left hand will be reserved for good-ol traditional watches to my liking.

I don't prefer smartwatches like apple watch or samsung watch as I dont need a "watch" for both wrist and I think looking at text messages & emails from a watch is downright silly not to mention very extra. Also, smart watches requires frequent charging which makes it inconvenient as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 01:20:22 PM »
I too prefer an activity tracker instead of a smart watch. I keep the time tracking function with a watch.
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline vrscse23

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 01:24:46 PM »
I personally prefer fitness watch & activity trackers than "smartwatch". Here's my take.

My Garmin Fenix 3HR (fitness watch) tracks my daily cycling activities down to plotting my cycling map, cadence, speed, heart rate & etc so that I can monitor my improvements and know when to push myself or when to rest. - I only wear this during training/workout sessions.

My Garmin vivosmart 3 (activity tracker) tracks my normal day to day steps, stairs, all day HR - I wear this on my right hand all the time except sleeping.

I don't prefer smartwatches like apple watch or samsung watch as I dont need a "watch" for both wrist and I think looking at text messages & emails from a watch is downright silly not to mention very extra. Also, smart watches requires frequent charging which makes it inconvenient as well.

Just my 2 cents.
Seems like Garmin is the market leader for fitness watches.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline krawl

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 04:40:35 PM »
honestly been wearing one for a few months now to try things out. got the ticwatch given its good value for money.

thus far i have been extremely underwhelmed....

1) notifications - use it sometimes for discreet notifications but i notice i have my phone with me so much and obsessively check it every 30 seconds it defeats the purpose of having a smart watch
2) step counter - just like my fitbit i eventually lost all interest in tracking my steps and movements, hence a feature i never ever use
3) fitness - my exercise remains mostly in the gym, so there is little fitness tracking i can use it for except heart rate which is a chore (at least on my model) to open and wait for it to detect then check the HR. Its more useful if you do different exercises on the go outdoors
4) bluetooth - harder for other blue tooth items to connect to my phone (maybe its my crappy phone which cant handle many blue tooth connections at once). my most irritating bit is my bluetooth handsfree in my car will always auto - connect for waze and spotify. but when i wear my smart watch it doesnt / does it sporadically
5) Adroid wear is outdated, doesnt get the same type of attention to continuously improve unlike phone OS. its becoming a fad...
6) even smartwatch hardware has stagnated... unlike phone processors and RAM which remains super competitive and new, faster, better more efficient versions come out yearly to be put in the latest phones, the smartwatch hardware hasnt progressed as far. hence my own ticwatch lags a little despite being relatively new in market (a common issue with most smartwatches, even those far more expensive than mine).
7) charging - daily charges is becoming a chore, especially for a forgetful and on the move guy like me. even with 2 chargers (one at home and one in the office) i find this irritating. often i find i forgotten to plug it in the night before and cant be bothered so i grab my tudor and start my day.
8) watch faces - yes there are billions of watch faces u can choose from. but i find that its just not the same as a physical watch face which shines differently depending on lighting, has textures, has levels of height and dimension. digital watch faces find it difficult to match classic clean designs. better for offbeat, creative, colourful, digital style watch faces
9) visibility - have to bump it to max levels to see in bright sun outdoors. can be irritating for some smartwatches even when brightness lowered to minimum when trying to sleep at night.

Looking back to normal watches once more... its best for sporty, health conscious, outdoorsy individuals compared to people like me.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 02:08:47 PM »
It seems the trend of smart watches are getting low IMO

Offline chuahsky

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 05:17:45 PM »
My concern has always been how long can a smart watch last....

Offline Yoda

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 05:49:52 PM »
Smart watch is like the quartz watch evolution. I believe the smart wach popularity will gain in another 5 years. I observed many young adult are wearing.

I too recently got myself a Fitbit Ionic for exercise monitoring
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline orion68

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 09:42:12 AM »
I am more into fitness trackers than smart watch per se.

I have been in FitBit for the past 3 years and my current model is the newly released FitBit Versa.

I like it because it not only tracks my steps and sleep patterns, but it also tracks my resting heart rates.

Usually 1 to 2 days before I fall ill, I notice my resting heart rate will go up. Which is a very useful indicator. Once that happens I will load up on the Vitamin C!

Offline bens

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 11:18:56 AM »
Smart watches are good for the gym. I use it to listen to music. I hate carrying my phone around the gym. Especially if I am doing plyo. If I am not at the gym, automatic watches all the way

Offline Darkholer

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 10:54:46 AM »
I see that hybrid watch lools nice too
But i still prefer automatics  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline forniter

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 03:20:20 PM »
the new samsung galaxy watch is pretty awesome if you're looking for one. not releaesed here yet

Offline ggprime

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 04:43:53 PM »
i wear my sport watch only for sport, is really good especially for jogging cause u can trace your pace

Offline Arcule

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 07:54:10 PM »
smart watch, got a few of them, if it serve ur purpose (garmin for outdoor, apple watch for tech guy), then is pretty good and nice

but once ure bored with the purpose u bought it, then meh, u found that ur regular casio look better then it, ur smart watch aint so smart after all..

Offline lee882888

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 04:25:04 PM »
Smart watch you can change the watch face as you like, however, the intriguing mechanical movement of the watch and owning a part of the horologu of a legit watch is really something different, hence as everyone stated, a traditional watch and another would be steps fitness tracker, thou I bought a few Garmin and xiaomi mi band, I lost interest of them all after awhile lol

Offline ethan89

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 08:52:36 AM »

Just my 2 cents.

Couldn't agreed more.
As for my own experience, every time I feel like wearing my Apple Watch then only realized I forget to charge it, end up it don't get much wrist time compare to some of my others mechanical watches.