Author Topic: Shipping a watch within Malaysia - responsibility?  (Read 6497 times)

Offline Yoda

Shipping a watch within Malaysia - responsibility?
« on: February 02, 2018, 02:10:27 PM »
Hi there,

Just out of curiosity, seeing so many watches on sale at the Classified.

If someone in Sabah or Sarawak purchase a watch from Peninsular Malaysia, he banked in the cash or cheque directly to the seller account.

The seller courier the watch but the watch lost in transit. The courier company said lost or damage is insured up to certain amount say RM100 only.

The seller did not purchase insurance, so both the seller and buyer start pointing fingers. Seller won't refund the money banked in.

The question: Does the buyer has any recourse from the seller base on the existing law?

"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline jetstrim

Re: Shipping a watch within Malaysia - responsibility?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 12:39:38 PM »
Sellers would insist that buyer bears all responsibility. If that was never discussed,That  is the implication

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 04:36:31 PM »
If no pre agreed sales terms

the lost is proven in transit then u can’t blame the seller
His responsibility is up to the courier counter
He can’t be responsible for other behaviour

U can definitely blame the courier company
But unless u declare the item correctly n insure it
Otherwise u won’t get compensated for the lost base on the policy
Nobody will know exactly what u put in
Otherwise u claim them for the 20+ mil how?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 03:40:13 AM »
Responsibility of seller is only up to courier counter only like what the previous post mentioned. I would even take a vid of the watch being packaged and sent at the courier counter to share with the buyer.

Generally if sent via a reputable courier, there is minimal chance of damage or loss in my experience. What might have happened is that the buyer is a conman and is saying the he never received the package.

Offline Yoda

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 01:14:24 PM »
Responsibility of seller is only up to courier counter only like what the previous post mentioned. I would even take a vid of the watch being packaged and sent at the courier counter to share with the buyer.

Generally if sent via a reputable courier, there is minimal chance of damage or loss in my experience. What might have happened is that the buyer is a conman and is saying the he never received the package.

Though the buyer can claim watch not received but the buyer has already paid fully, the seller insist the watch delivered. As a result the seller don't want to refund the monies, what can the buyer do? Buyer can be conman so what? already paid.

Whats the best way to manage this?

1) Only COD?
2) Sell the Buyer?
3) Sell only to the Senior member of MWF?

Any other suggestions?

Yoda

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 03:17:05 PM »

Though the buyer can claim watch not received but the buyer has already paid fully, the seller insist the watch delivered. As a result the seller don't want to refund the monies, what can the buyer do? Buyer can be conman so what? already paid.

Whats the best way to manage this?

1) Only COD?
2) Sell the Buyer?
3) Sell only to the Senior member of MWF?

Any other suggestions?

my apologies. Should have read the original post more carefully. If the buyer has already paid the funds, then unlikely he's a conman. That means that the courier company screwed up (i am honestly surprised). Which courier was used?

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 05:43:31 PM »
You would be surprised at the courier screw-ups I have heard about. A personal case was the courier was supposed to be sent to a Mont Kiara residential address, but the actual article was sent to a Gombak factory. I was checking on the e-tracking and saw that it was signed off by a staff in the factory. Notified the courier company immediately and and they tried to retract the package, but in the end, it was unaccounted for. Thank goodness I worked out a settlement with the seller. The courier company shirked responsibilities and stated that the package was neither declared as an expensive item nor insured, so their liabilities were limited to a small compensation. Thereafter, I would only send relatively affordable watches by courier. Anything more than RM10k, it must be COD although that would meant that the market was more limited.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:45:04 PM by D'Andy »
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline maxthecat80

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 09:44:40 AM »
You would be surprised at the courier screw-ups I have heard about. A personal case was the courier was supposed to be sent to a Mont Kiara residential address, but the actual article was sent to a Gombak factory. I was checking on the e-tracking and saw that it was signed off by a staff in the factory. Notified the courier company immediately and and they tried to retract the package, but in the end, it was unaccounted for. Thank goodness I worked out a settlement with the seller. The courier company shirked responsibilities and stated that the package was neither declared as an expensive item nor insured, so their liabilities were limited to a small compensation. Thereafter, I would only send relatively affordable watches by courier. Anything more than RM10k, it must be COD although that would meant that the market was more limited.
which courier company is this, if u don't mind? i wanna blacklist them..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Yoda

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 07:44:52 AM »
Don't have to blacklist them. Even reputable courier company made mistakes which I have experienced. Human mistakes bound to happen.

Yoda