Author Topic: The Allure of Tudor  (Read 12531 times)

Offline zack777es

The Allure of Tudor
« on: March 08, 2017, 07:57:56 PM »
A post over at another forum moved me to start a thread on the Tudor collection here at MWF.
Hope you guys can share yours as well.

It used to be that Tudor carries the label as the "working man's Rolex", "poor man's Rolex" and I'll never forget my uncle's remark, "low cost Rolex"  :laugh:

But I think over years, especially the last 5 years, Tudor has really come on its own, coming out of Rolex's shadow as the daughter company.
(Re?)Establishing its own identity with the introduction of Heritage Chrono in 2010 (probably thanks to Ethan Hunt in MI:GP  :D), and a series of well received Heritage Collections & reinterpretation of Tudor tool watches ie. the Ranger, Black Bay, Pelagos, North Flag & Fastrider.

They have been on a roll producing quality timepieces that rival (even surpass) others in the same price range and in some cases hold its own against pricier ones.
As mentioned earlier, I truly believe that now Tudor has the strength to stand on its brand.

I've no intention to write down Tudor's history or its comeback story here but I always had a thing for Tudor Oysterdate Chronographs from the 1970's.
Never could pull the trigger to acquire a Monte Carlo (which now go for around USD10-12K!) but the later Big Blocks and the Oysterdate/Prince Date Chronos (pre-Tiger, tiger & post-Tiger) are more accessible and are of great value for money.

The fact that there are quite a number of them available with their wide range of dials, bezels and bracelets/leather straps variations, combinations, not to mentioned the use of Rolex's parts up till late 1990's for some of the models, makes them fun pieces to collect.

Here's my small collection of the Tudor Chronos (with the lone Pelagos), unfortunately they don't get as much wrist time that they deserve.

:Cheers:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 08:05:29 PM by zack777es »

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: The Allure of Tudor
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 08:09:10 PM »
Great Tudor collection! Thanks for sharing.
I especially like your Big Block and I do missed my ex Pelagos sometimes.
Anymore new Tudor in the future? Black Bay perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline skuirtgun

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 08:31:35 PM »
Here's mine.

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 08:34:13 PM »
very nice and honest collection. 
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 04:22:06 AM »
Funnily enough, the big block has also caught my eyes of late. Finding one in the condition that I want is the challenge. And you are right about the fact that Tudor has always lived in the shadow of its big brother. But now they are a brand in its own right with the introduction, or rather re-introduction of the Black Bay, the Ranger and then there is the beautiful Pelagos. So many beautiful new pieces...Tudor really is up and coming. Nice collection you have there Zack, thank you for sharing...

Offline Timeless

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 06:26:49 AM »
Tudor is making in-house movement now, indeed a massive milestone..

Offline zack777es

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »
Great Tudor collection! Thanks for sharing.
I especially like your Big Block and I do missed my ex Pelagos sometimes.
Anymore new Tudor in the future? Black Bay perhaps?

Thanks CK.

I went with the Pelagos to take over "water based duties" from my 20 year old Sub which served me well (still is, but retired from said water based duties  :laugh: )
At that time I also had a Sub NDc, my occasional desk diver (gifted it to my brother when I got the Pelagos since).

Had considered BB Black (ETA) but thought it was relatively similar to my Subs then and was not keen to fork out for an SDc.
So when the blue Pelagos came out, I was sold.
I was curious about Tudor's in house movt (was not into the North Flag, the first with an in house movt), also the fantastic lume is a big factor.

That said, as for new Tudors, I would love to get a gray black Heritage Chrono (i know, another chrono  ::) ) or maybe a Ranger w/bund strap.
Their prices are very accessible that every time you walk into a Tudor AD, it could dangerously turn out to be an impulse buy  but I would definitely need to off load some of my Tudor chronos  :laugh:

Offline zack777es

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 08:03:01 AM »

Offline zack777es

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 08:07:06 AM »
very nice and honest collection.

Thanks!  :Cheers:

Offline zack777es

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 08:36:19 AM »
Funnily enough, the big block has also caught my eyes of late. Finding one in the condition that I want is the challenge. And you are right about the fact that Tudor has always lived in the shadow of its big brother. But now they are a brand in its own right with the introduction, or rather re-introduction of the Black Bay, the Ranger and then there is the beautiful Pelagos. So many beautiful new pieces...Tudor really is up and coming. Nice collection you have there Zack, thank you for sharing...

Thanks.

When the Heritage Chrono came out, the Monte Carlo pieces shot up to astronomical prices.

Although I don't think the Big Blocks 791x0 or even the 94x00 reference will go up to MC levels (unless Basel 2017 Tudor comes out with Tudor Heritage Big Block  :laugh:), asking price has certainly risen especially for a good example.
You said it yourself, finding one in a good condition is a challenge.

Good luck in your search.

Offline Watched

• New trained daddy
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 02:10:33 PM »
Tudor looks nice

But how about the value

Offline artyca

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 08:23:05 PM »
Tudor is a perfect example of a brand that has revitalized itself with an exciting range of products. The Pelagos and Black Bay have been super hits and their product onslaught continues with the North Pole and Ranger. A great accessible brand for those who are starting off their watch collection. Quality wise, it's comparable to big brother Rolex without the additional frills.

Offline jetstrim

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 09:02:04 AM »
The big block is getting too expensive and have sort of struck it off my wish list. Went for the Pelagos instead

Offline Devilzzz44

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 10:52:34 AM »

Offline zack777es

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 02:37:55 PM »
The big block is getting too expensive and have sort of struck it off my wish list. Went for the Pelagos instead

I've seen some Big Blocks being advertised on Fleabay around USD4-5K earlier this year.
A couple with papers are more than USD5k!  :shocked1:
2-3 years ago it was around USD3K only.
Our weak currency doesn't help either.

If it's a full set in good condition (which is rare nowadays), around USD3K-4K, IMO it's good value.
But then again, value is so subjective.
One really need to understand, appreciate and identify with the (hi)story behind the Big Block.

Anyway, good choice on the Pelagos. :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:43:29 PM by zack777es »

Offline zack777es

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 02:44:20 PM »

Looking good  :thumbsup:

Offline Devilzzz44

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 04:52:21 AM »

Looking good  :thumbsup:

Thanks! Cheers!

Offline Canook

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 07:41:20 AM »
Ive got quite a few Rolex's but fell in love with the Black Bay Red and couldn't resist grabbing one of the ETA's before they were discontinued prior to the new release... cant say i wear it much but its a beautifully built watch and i cannot fault the quality and is very close to the mother company quality (Rolex)

Offline elado249

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 05:41:01 AM »
Today Tudor unveil the new black bay chrono with in house movement. Will put it in my wishlist

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »
I've always have a soft spot for Tudor, having owned a couple of pieces; and I think that the new BB Steel looks quite macho, no? The date mechanism is useful, and it could be an affordable beater.

Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Ek lex

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 11:09:42 PM »

Offline munyew90

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
Nice collection of Tudors  :thumbsup:

Offline cyclonez14

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 12:58:44 PM »
i do wish to own d new pelagos..with in house movement and robust body would be nice to wear..price wise, its value for money given d movement with rolex quality

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Offline Timeless

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 03:51:16 PM »
Beckham became an ambassador of Tudor..

Offline Alfa01

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2017, 07:44:43 PM »

I'm definitely a Tudor fan.

My Tudor Jumbo Day-Date with a slate grey dial. Searched for quite a few years for this after trying on a vintage 1601 Rolex in slate grey and feeling it's just too small. The unique thing about these is they are about 37.5mm instead of the equivalent Rolex in 36mm which makes it very wearable. Mine dates to the late 60s. These are very undervalued IMHO.

The Pelagos 2-liner is nearly my daily wearer. Love the austerity of the dial and how the date window is balanced by the smaller indice for symmetry (they changed this with the 4-liner). Bracelet is incredibly comfortable due to the adjustability of the clasp. Only issue for me is the S/S clasp scratches easily.