Author Topic: This is how i started :)  (Read 9100 times)

Offline Scott C.

This is how i started :)
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:03:54 AM »
I love watches since I was very young, maybe influenced by my dad. I still remember I like to put my dad's watch near my ear to enjoy the "tik-dak-tik-dak" sound. I don't know what it was until...(see below :))

My first watch is a Swatch, it cost me MYR98 if I remember correctly. Bought in year 1996, Jan 16 (my first day go to college). I used up all my first salary (part time work after Form 5, can't remember what i did already) to buy this one. I still keeping it today :) It's not working anymore, no battery but not sure if it will work with new battery replaced.

Then, I got my first mechanical watch, SEIKO 5 in year 2003 as a gift from my friend :) I don't know what is "Automatic" mean at that time, I just know it doesn't require battery and it will/should work as long as I wear it everyday :p I can hear the "tik-dak-tik-dak" sound again since then :)

Was wearing my SEIKO 5 until year 2006. When I was in UK, I bought my first manual winding watch from theBay, a manual winding Oris. It cost me around GBP50. I thought it will work as long as I wear it like my SEIKO 5, but it doesn't (obviously it will not, manual winding ma). I then emailed the seller and told him that the watch is faulty/broken. He then replied, "Has you manual wind it?"  ::) LOL! I learnt 2 things from this watch, "Manual Winding" and "Automatic" :D
I like the complete numbers on the dial..and the red second hand pointer...

This is how I start my journey (I mean seriously)!! I bought a lot of vintage watches since then (I was first collected vintage watches only). Longines (I still keeping one, forgot to take picture just now), Omega, Citizen, etc...some i didn't even know the brand..I just keep buying :D LOL!!  Not just the watches but a lot of magazines and Watch related books too!

After awhile, I realized vintage is not for me, I'm not a watch maker and I do not know how to fix if it's broken and i don't know how to differentiate if the vintage watch is genuine or not. I then decided to change my collection, to buy watches with proper warranty (from AD) or good condition used watches.

I sold all my so-called-vintage except these 2.

After I've disposed all my vintage, I bought (and sold) some high end watches :) If you asked me, my favorites are IWC (Portuguese series) and Panerai, always :D 

Next, I need a battery (quartz la) watch! I realized I need one badly for the outdoor activities :D I bought a G-Shock Riseman last year September. Can't remember the model but it was release last year August I think. My first Perpetual Calender + Alarm + GMT + World Time!! LOL!!

My first purchased in year 2009 (bought it 5 hours ago, kekekek), my 3rd SEIKO :) A vintage look-a-like diving watch. I like the design and the maxi-dial, the properly align day-date and markers.

What's next? Too many watches but too limited fund :D Maybe a Pilot or Marinemaster (which I'm hunting it now)? But i think i will have to take it slow (bad eco ma), enjoy the journey, the process of waiting and hunting is fun too (sure boh!!??) !! (but of course, if i have sufficient fund, I will shorten the wait and do the hunting faster :D)

It started from a hobby (or something very personal, in my opinion) to something that I have never thought before; I'm lucky enough to know/meet a lot of friends here who sharing the same interest and passion!! Not so much just a Watch but I'm in a community where I can share my thought, my point of view and knowing people who come from different background and experiences!

Thank you all and thanks for reading!

Cheers!
SC
p/s: sorry if i have wrote something doesn't make sense at all because it's now 3am and i don't think my brain is working anymore :D

Offline David_cheong

Re: This is how i started :)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »
Scott

So finally after knowing you for some time, I / we have came this far to know your watch collecting history.

Its fun to read through many episode of original version of one's experiences on watch adventures.
Every story and personal experiences is a good read ...no matter what ones writes ...as long as it concerns watches

Same as with many of us, WIS here, I/we started with practically nothing but an interest in a simple time piece. For me, it all started when a mechanical (manual) pieces bought for me by my late grandmother  ..in the 60's. When one of these early mechanical time piece failed me during an important exam...I then promised myself a reliable watch when i grow up... and the rest is history.

Before I started collecting Rolexes, one of my first wannabe look-a-like watch is a Titoni - all well equipped with that cyclops lens to go along.
And to think of it, after a period of Rolexes day in and out, now i end with NIL collections of this brand....at the moment.

You have managed to acquire that Seiko (latest buy). Good for you.

Enjoy reading your episode and keep it up.
DC
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 04:01:25 PM »
thanks for sharing.... i would love to write bout my story here.... but i'm busy.... my story is very very long.....
i'm busy modifying a cheap big black china made watch i bought last week...
i bought it to took it swan neck to try to fit on my 2533...
unfortunately... it doesnt fit.... so i paint the dial and lume the marker.... will share it as soon!

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 08:36:29 AM »
Hi Scott,
Great story. You made a wise decision in holding on to the two vintage chronographs from Citizen and Seiko.
I would love to get hold of one of these vintage Seiko chronos. I think they are incredibly underrated by the vintage market.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:41:34 PM »
Thanks all :)

I like these vintage chronos too but i hardly wear them....maybe i will tomorrow :D

Cheers!
SC

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 08:46:25 AM »
haha.... i got more seiko auto chrono....
i also seldom wear them....

should i keep?

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 03:11:57 PM »
;) I'm wearing the SEIKO chrono today :)

Keep if you think it has value (sentimental) but if you sell, not much you can get from this also right?

Cheers!
sc

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 04:05:16 PM »
no sentimental value at all...
last time i just buy if i think the price is right...  :D

i think i got 4 pieces 6139
3 pieces of 6138
1 piece of 7017

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 03:33:58 PM »
Yenfoolun,
If you have already 8 pieces of the vintage Seiko chronographs alone, I shudder to think of the actual size of your whole watch collection!
Do you have an updated inventory list of your whole watch collection?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 03:54:21 PM »
Yenfoolun,
If you have already 8 pieces of the vintage Seiko chronographs alone, I shudder to think of the actual size of your whole watch collection!
Do you have an updated inventory list of your whole watch collection?

i off load quite alot since last yr.... i got no more expensive watch actually.... after i found i lost, i do not know what i like!
i sold my iwc portuguese auto, sinn u black, prs 20le, rxw plasmir milgraph, few debaufre and steinhart, few seiko like samurai ,sumo... few vintage omega and rolex.... dunhill, armand nicolet, mm20, longines.... oris.... and some project watches....

so now i enjoy playing watches than collecting....

today, this is on my wrist

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 04:21:52 PM »
yenfoolun

I do agree that when a person grows older and wiser (ahem) all his/her earlier pasture dwindled along with time. Our interest may fade and turn into something else. Just like what you quote; "i got no more expensive watch actually...." now enjoys playing with watches rather than collecting them.

Eg. I have now a regular watch for daily wear, a dress watch and a sport watch...and a fun watch...likewise, no more (very) expensive watches in my present collections.
( I have also off-load all my rolexes)

A person perception and taste changes with times. IMHO...DC
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?