Author Topic: Should I get a vintage Rolex?  (Read 12825 times)

Offline Watched

• New trained daddy
Should I get a vintage Rolex?
« on: May 29, 2016, 04:33:32 PM »
Should I get a Rolex below 20k?

Is it worth? Or which model is good around that budget

Offline dualcarb

Re: Should I get a vintage Rolex?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 04:48:21 PM »
IMHO, any vintage Rolex is worth getting. However...to play it safe, I would recommend that you either get one of the diver or GMT series. One in a nice condition should set you back a little more than 20K. Do your research, take your time and don't rush into it. Buy the seller and ask around to see if you have friends who has the watch to try it on first.

I was hanging out with some fellow watch enthusiasts yesterday and one of them had this pristine 16750. I had to put in on my wrist for a wrist shot.

He bought this watch for around RM31,000. But the chamfers were sharp, the case is fat and his bracelet had almost no stretch. We put this watch next to a "newer" 16610 and it was nearly identical in case thickness, indicating that this case has never been polished. His lume plots had developed a very nice and even patina over time and everything about this was is just about perfect.

In any event, good luck with your search and do post some pics up if you do get it.

cheers/Patrick

Offline Watched

• New trained daddy
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 08:44:54 PM »
How much it's cost for preowned that u r wearing at?

I had try oris,omega,tag heuer,longines,bell&ross,ball,tissot

Any brands I should try?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:51:49 PM by Watched »

Offline Cocas

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 08:53:43 AM »
How much it's cost for preowned that u r wearing at?

I had try oris,omega,tag heuer,longines,bell&ross,ball,tissot

Any brands I should try?

Epos, Titoni (18k solid casing), Zenith

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 09:39:14 AM »
Go for vintage Rolex Submariner and GMT, these watches are safe play and worthy, IMHO.

Offline asimo

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 02:09:01 PM »
The vintage GMT 2 Pepsi dial cost around rm36k at preowned shops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline V...

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 02:34:30 PM »
32k just too high. Doesn't worth it

Offline kukujiao

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 09:32:15 PM »
I heard that the vintage mil sub can  fetch USD100k. Wtf

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Offline stnet

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 11:08:56 AM »
If anything i think price of vintage can only go up cos the quantity will never increased..

Offline Watched

• New trained daddy
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 12:01:31 PM »
Rolex sub 14060m no date?

Good? Worth?

Offline stnet

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 12:17:19 PM »
Rolex sub 14060m no date?

Good? Worth?

I'm no expert but I think 14060m is not consider as vintage yet. Pls correct me if I'm wrong..

Offline Wak417

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 10:21:24 PM »
It`s worth it very well.

I`m a Rolex Expert and will advised get a Submariner
The past is history, the future is a mystery" - Mike Tyson

"Success is only what you make of it" - ME

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 08:07:26 AM »
The vintage GMT 2 Pepsi dial cost around rm36k at preowned shops

I don't think it will cost so much unless it is an unworn and new full set. For preowned, it will normally cost around RM23k-28k, based on my last search.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 01:40:10 PM »
IMHO, any vintage Rolex is worth getting. However...to play it safe, I would recommend that you either get one of the diver or GMT series. One in a nice condition should set you back a little more than 20K. Do your research, take your time and don't rush into it. Buy the seller and ask around to see if you have friends who has the watch to try it on first.

I was hanging out with some fellow watch enthusiasts yesterday and one of them had this pristine 16750. I had to put in on my wrist for a wrist shot.

He bought this watch for around RM31,000. But the chamfers were sharp, the case is fat and his bracelet had almost no stretch. We put this watch next to a "newer" 16610 and it was nearly identical in case thickness, indicating that this case has never been polished. His lume plots had developed a very nice and even patina over time and everything about this was is just about perfect.

In any event, good luck with your search and do post some pics up if you do get it.

cheers/Patrick

Any reasons why this model price is fetching so high? ???

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 07:08:57 AM »
I would save up a bit and try to hunt for a 5513. It's not easy... as many have had parts changed or are missing boxes and papers. But once you find one, you'll be ecstatic.
Adam J
Currently own: Rolex GMT Pepsi 126710BLRO mark 1

Offline theseira

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 09:23:19 AM »
The vintage market is a very difficult market to get into.

You really got to be an expert or have someone with expert experience before venturing to this field.

You don't want to get caught out with redials or franken pieces.

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 12:28:54 PM »
The vintage market is a very difficult market to get into.

You really got to be an expert or have someone with expert experience before venturing to this field.

You don't want to get caught out with redials or franken pieces.

Yes, exactly the reasons why I yet to acquire any Rolex vintage piece eventhough they tend to be tempting to me...

Offline Cocas

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 02:05:42 PM »
Should I get a Rolex below 20k?

Is it worth? Or which model is good around that budget

I got this vintage gold Cellini . This yesteryears model is man size however my wife tries it on today . It looks fine actually on female wrist. :thumbsup:

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 08:58:53 AM »
Vintage?

Firstly, there are many levels of `vintage watches'

the purist will insist on everything being the original.....

next, you have people who dont mind replacement parts, as long as its correct to the watch/period of the watch...And lets not talk about the so called reputable vintage dealers who might be supplying franken parts and yet wont declare it in their sales description (you never ask, so i didnt tell).  Google " John Mayer suing vintage watch dealer "...
Do you have the knowledge, ability to inspect ?
Just because a watch has a nice patina and faded bezel doesnt qualify it to be a proper vintage watch...More homework and due diligence is needed....

Then, there is the issue of a vintage watch should come with all the accessories- a calendar dated way back to 1970, a box with some exotic fungal smell, paper, box, manual ...And these things dont come cheap.....

patina? did the patina developed naturally? or was it induced? What is acceptable? creamy? yellowish? Orange? brownish?

These are some questions you need to ask before buying.  A very good friend once told me...its a minefield out there...be very careful..

In addition, a good question to ask is what do you plan to do with a vintage watch AFTER the exhaustive hunt and huge hole in your pocket...

1.  Wear as daily beater, enjoying the uniqueness as compared to those modern rolex models everyone seemed to be wearing.  This should be the main reason why we buy a watch, no?
 But what if the plexi glass crack? What if moisture seeps in and the dial gets stained? what if those beautiful patina markers starts to disintegrate?   You can bring the watch to RSC but be prepared to lose some of the vintage features that you initially and willingly paid for ...

2.  Wear occasionally and carefully....wooing the right crowd...  During a GTG, where everyone is showing their Pams, APs ....and you take out your creamy sub.....with that satisfying look of `even if you have money, maybe also cannot buy this watch.."  ;D 

3.  Keep in your safe....and let it aged longer....so that you can sell it and make some money from the next fella who got infected with the vintage virus... ;D ;D

the choice is yours mate...

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:13:57 AM by pexus »
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline George101

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 05:26:00 AM »
Vintage?

next, you have people who dont mind replacement parts, as long as its correct to the watch/period of the watch...And lets not talk about the so called reputable vintage dealers who might be supplying franken parts and yet wont declare it in their sales description (you never ask, so i didnt tell).  Google " John Mayer suing vintage watch dealer "...
Just because a watch has a nice patina and faded bezel doesnt qualify it to be a proper vintage watch...More homework and due diligence is needed....

Then, there is the issue of a vintage watch should come with all the accessories- a calendar dated way back to 1970, a box with some exotic fungal smell, paper, box, manual ...And these things dont come cheap.....

patina? did the patina developed naturally? or was it induced? What is acceptable? creamy? yellowish? Orange? brownish?

These are some questions you need to ask before buying.  A very good friend once told me...its a minefield out there...be very careful..

In addition, a good question to ask is what do you plan to do with a vintage watch AFTER the exhaustive hunt and huge hole in your pocket...

1.  Wear as daily beater, enjoying the uniqueness as compared to those modern rolex models everyone seemed to be wearing.  This should be the main reason why we buy a watch, no?
 But what if the plexi glass cracked? What if moisture seeps in and the dial is stained? what if those beautiful patina markers started disintegrating?   You can bring the watch to RSC but be prepared to lose some of the vintage features that you initially and willingly paid for ...

2.  Wear occasionally and carefully....wooing the right crowd...  During a GTG, where everyone is showing their Pams, APs ....and you take out your creamy sub.....with that satisfying look of `even if you have money, maybe also cannot buy this watch.."  ;D 

3.  Keep in your safe....and let it aged longer....so that you can sell it and make some money from the next fella who got infected with the vintage virus... ;D ;D

Well informed write up.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 05:37:17 AM »
Vintage?

But what if the plexi glass cracked? What if moisture seeps in and the dial is stained? what if those beautiful patina markers started disintegrating?   You can bring the watch to RSC but be prepared to lose some of the vintage features that you initially and willingly paid for ...

I get the vintage is to enjoy the watch purely and to make myself happy. It is not about to impress others or getting it sold in future for better return. :Cheers:

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 06:13:04 AM »

I get the vintage is to enjoy the watch purely and to make myself happy. It is not about to impress others or getting it sold in future for better return. :Cheers:

I guess different strokes for different folks...even when it comes to luxury watches in general, people might be buying one for different reasons...
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline Him Who Watches

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 08:54:02 AM »
I heard that the vintage mil sub can  fetch USD100k. Wtf

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

I believe the mil sub, or military submariner, are all vintage. It was never sold to the public. Solely produced and disbursed to the US Army personnel back in the 50s or early 60s. Therefore, it is a limited edition, and it incorporated design cues which has never been seen again in a Rolex.

Not saying I will buy it if i see it - i will be too afraid to wear it  ;D

Offline ruez88

Should I get a vintage Rolex?
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 09:10:03 AM »
I'm a newbie that started collecting watches about half a year ago. I have now in my collection an iwc371701, Rolex Daytona 116520 Ss and omega speedmaster 3572.5. I think to be honest it depends on how seriously you want to go into watches and how much knowledge you have.

If 20k is really something that you have to save a lot then I'd recommend a watch that you'll appreciate and wear a lot because frankly speaking there's no point in buying a watch that you won't be able to put on much wrist time unless you're a collector. That is on another whole new level.

Also, there are lot of things you need to know to buy into vintage watches. I wouldn't recommend going into it on zero knowledge. And I think you certainly shouldn't buy into vintage on the hope that you'd get your hands into something very rare and turn yourself rich.

20k can get yourself some really decent watches and I recommend Rolex, omega or iwc as they retain their value well.