Author Topic: watch service  (Read 2563 times)

Offline cuffs

• Freshie
watch service
« on: February 01, 2011, 08:35:35 AM »
just sharing...

am sure many will agree here as horology aficionados, IHMO it's not just about collecting watches, equal importance is the servicing of our precious time pieces. I've seen many people go into watch collecting with gusto but totally oblivious of the servicing aspects. It's not just to ensure the watch continue to run well but I think to keep it's value.

on a side note, saw this and not t o sure what it means...new Oscillating weight for the eta 2892  ??? ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIPkicYJcYs

Offline danny

• Administrator
Re: watch service
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:27:25 AM »
Very interesting video from Hodinkee. The newly serviced rotor can really spin. Must be due to the freshly lubricated ball bearings.

Thanks for sharing cuffs.

:Cheers:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:18:15 AM »
Seen this vid before, really surprised how freely it can spin.
Wonder why it doesnt do this when in the watch.

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:38:25 AM »
Seen this vid before, really surprised how freely it can spin.
Wonder why it doesnt do this when in the watch.

Hi Peter,
I believe in the Video the rotor was doing a free spin with minimal resistance because it's not connected to the winding gears.
In the typical automatic watch a major portion of the rotor's kinetic energy is converted into potential energy by the winding gears to be stored in the mainspring.
So the rotor is doing real work and does not spin freely in the watch case.
Having said that you can still observe the free spinning rotor in the Valjoux 7750 when you spin it in the non-winding direction. Due to its unidirectional winding design the Valjoux 7750 only winds in the clock wise direction and the rotor spins freely in the other direction. As you can probably infer from the infamous wobble of the Valjoux 7750, a free spinning rotor is not really a desirable feature in an automatic watch.

:Cheers:

Offline cuffs

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 11:25:26 AM »
Wow...never knew the 7750 employs uni-directional winds...similar to the freewheel of a bicycle's crank  :)
just goes to show we learn something new everyday.

back to the video though, regardless of it being attached to the winding gears or not, me thinks it shows the differences between two test subjects well in a similar controlled environment.
Crazy thought - curious if resonance can play any effect here if stacked close enough....nah  :P