Author Topic: Cal 505 on a Seamaster?  (Read 5932 times)

Offline spoonfork

• Freshie
  • Out of the f**king way! Iban dude coming through!
Cal 505 on a Seamaster?
« on: May 29, 2011, 06:32:58 PM »
Hi,

Just want some opinions. I posted the same thread here: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f441/cal-505-seamaster-546120.html, so won't be re-posting the pics here.
As for the seller, I am not sure what's MWF rules for linking to seller's page...

--mel

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: Cal 505 on a Seamaster?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
The movement looks like a 501. The 505, I believe has more inscription on the rotor. Also parts from the 500 series have been known to be interchanged between the models in the 500 series.

All I can say is, if in doubt.....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 08:48:40 PM by TheHobbit »

Offline spoonfork

• Freshie
  • Out of the f**king way! Iban dude coming through!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:57:38 AM »
After a series of blurred photos and numerous email exchanges, the seller did not respond (after two days) when I mentioned that no Seamaster was ever fitted with cal 505.

So lessons learned:
  • Always ask for high resolution pictures of dial, movement, and case
  • Ask direct questions: year, model, calibre number, the movement's reference/serial number, case reference number
  • Ask if dial has been refurbished/refinished. If yes, ask for the photo of the dial before refinishing/refurbishing
  • Research, research, research

And of course, before making any purchase decision, ask the forums: MWF, watchuseek, watchprosite.

--mel
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:02:21 AM by spoonfork »

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 03:24:44 PM »
After a series of blurred photos and numerous email exchanges, the seller did not respond (after two days) when I mentioned that no Seamaster was ever fitted with cal 505.

So lessons learned:
  • Always ask for high resolution pictures of dial, movement, and case
  • Ask direct questions: year, model, calibre number, the movement's reference/serial number, case reference number
  • Ask if dial has been refurbished/refinished. If yes, ask for the photo of the dial before refinishing/refurbishing
  • Research, research, research

And of course, before making any purchase decision, ask the forums: MWF, watchuseek, watchprosite.

--mel

Nice, learn something new today of your observation...thanks for sharing.. :thumbsup:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain