Author Topic: Which Explorer II 16570 to get  (Read 6149 times)

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
Which Explorer II 16570 to get
« on: July 15, 2018, 12:59:35 PM »
Hi MWF experts,

I would like to get my hand on Rolex Explorer II 16570 polar dial. I have tried it on before and the white dial just really appeals to me, I could not stop smiling when trying it on.

Now because of its long running production, there are many options regarding which 16570 is the right for me. Right now, there are two choices:

1) 16570 circa 1995-6 with T25 lume from a pre-owned watch shop.  Personally I want to get one with T25 lume because I was hoping it would patina (this one has not really start to patina). However, this one has no box or paper.
2) 16570 circa 2001-2. Full set.

In terms of the price, the full set is obviously slightly higher. My questions are:

1) How much value should I place on box and paper? Personally, I'm not someone who look to buy the watch as investment or re-sell it 1 year down the road. However, as a watch buyer, I think it is still a nice/safe feeling to know that if the watch really need to be let go, I'm going to be able to get fair value back. So is it a deal breaker to not have B&P?

2) For T25 lume, is there a possibility that it does not develop patina? If this can happen, then it kind of defeat the purpose of getting T25 dial watch in the first place?

THanks all!

Tim

Offline lamkinpark

• Freshie
Re: Which Explorer II 16570 to get
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 08:21:15 PM »
Personally I would go for the 1 with paper n box. I don't think the price difference by a lot for 16570. Good luck with your hunt.

Offline koryong

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 10:18:42 PM »
There may not be a big diff in prices between with and without papers for the 16570 coz this reference has always been a "follower" and not one that drives prices. If you look at GMTs & Subs now, that difference is huge ... up to 10k or more sometimes while 2 years back, it was hardly a couple of grand.  So maybe the Explorer may follow this path ....

The only T<25 dial that will never develop patina are mostly U-serial numbered GMTs and Explorer IIs. This happened during the switch from Tritium to Luminova and Rolex used up excess T<25 inventory but put Luminova on the markers.  You can identify them by looking for the glow in the dark. Tritium has roughly a 12-year half life therefore all true T<25 dials should not glow anymore by now.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:20:31 PM by KYtime »

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 11:34:43 AM »
There may not be a big diff in prices between with and without papers for the 16570 coz this reference has always been a "follower" and not one that drives prices. If you look at GMTs & Subs now, that difference is huge ... up to 10k or more sometimes while 2 years back, it was hardly a couple of grand.  So maybe the Explorer may follow this path ....

The only T<25 dial that will never develop patina are mostly U-serial numbered GMTs and Explorer IIs. This happened during the switch from Tritium to Luminova and Rolex used up excess T<25 inventory but put Luminova on the markers.  You can identify them by looking for the glow in the dark. Tritium has roughly a 12-year half life therefore all true T<25 dials should not glow anymore by now.

Thanks for sharing. This was interesting to learn about the T25 dial. Anyway, I will probably hunt for a good example with full set, seeing the price differential is not excessive at the moment.

Offline spayre

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 02:04:00 PM »
Hi MWF experts,

I would like to get my hand on Rolex Explorer II 16570 polar dial. I have tried it on before and the white dial just really appeals to me, I could not stop smiling when trying it on.

Now because of its long running production, there are many options regarding which 16570 is the right for me. Right now, there are two choices:

1) 16570 circa 1995-6 with T25 lume from a pre-owned watch shop.  Personally I want to get one with T25 lume because I was hoping it would patina (this one has not really start to patina). However, this one has no box or paper.
2) 16570 circa 2001-2. Full set.

In terms of the price, the full set is obviously slightly higher. My questions are:

1) How much value should I place on box and paper? Personally, I'm not someone who look to buy the watch as investment or re-sell it 1 year down the road. However, as a watch buyer, I think it is still a nice/safe feeling to know that if the watch really need to be let go, I'm going to be able to get fair value back. So is it a deal breaker to not have B&P?

2) For T25 lume, is there a possibility that it does not develop patina? If this can happen, then it kind of defeat the purpose of getting T25 dial watch in the first place?

THanks all!

Tim

1. when you are purchasing a preowned rolex, number one rule is to pay extra for the warranty card. It is a peace of mind indicator that this is legit and if you pass it down or resell it, you could fetch more. If you look at the preowned market, you will see someone selling at a cheaper than market price, only to know that the warranty card is missing. Also, with some models, trying to spot a fake rolex is hard since the countermeasures against fake was not invited yet (like serial number on rehaut and lec at the 6 o'clock crown).. so having a warranty card is the best next to nothing...

2. Avoid those 16570 that has the T<25 text at the 6 o'clock, cause those with it will have a dead lume (eventually). Looking a the nice green glow on a rolex is addictive so lets make sure that your investment is still worthy after a period of years

Again, above is just my two cents. Some might argue against it but guess this is the beauty of the forum with member exchanging ideas...

No love for the 216570? Bigger case, maxi dial and improved movement... Love the white / polar 216570!

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 09:39:26 AM »
Patina is very much hit and or miss. I have seen some watches patina beautifully and have seen some that don’t patina. Have also seen some that lose its patina after a while. Some say leaving your watch in the dark causes patina and exposure to sunlight will wash out the patina. Some say it’s the other way around.

Anyway all the best with your hunt.

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 11:42:29 AM »
Thanks all for sharing your view and comments. They are very useful. Yes I will continue to hunt for a full set and good example of the 16570.

Offline Darkholer

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 04:40:35 PM »
Mine is circa 2000
Polar explorer II 3185 movement
Love every bits of it
Just a small problem..the watch head do not sits on the canter of my wrist
When it does, the clasp will be off center

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 08:39:48 PM »
a matter of heart and sensibility

sensibility will be no 2.  anything happen, bring to RSC...will replace parts 1 to 1 (with fees of course).  But bottom line is the watch will serve you well, and with box and papers, the price will not drop.   It will always have potential buyers.  Someone gave me a good advice...When a watch comes with box and papers, it does point to a careful previous owner. 

heart? who doesnt love a warm, yellowish patina.  But will it develop? And more importantly...if something happen, you bring it to RSC...you wont get back the T25 dial.  So the value of your watch will no longer be the same.   
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'