Author Topic: How to transact for used watches  (Read 6116 times)

Offline dstudio10

• Freshie
How to transact for used watches
« on: July 13, 2018, 06:42:44 PM »
I plan to let go 2-3 watches to fund a new watch purchase.. but I have never traded via used market like this forum here.

Can I ask sifus a few questions ?

1. how do i accept bookings / reservation and should i insist of deposit of say rm100 ? wanna avoid people that is not serious and wasting time

2. if the watch is worth a few thousands, what is the best way to transact ? cash, maybank2u or ?

3. after the watch is sold, should i insist some form of signature or pix evidence that the buyer has accepted the watch and cannot complain later ?

thanks all !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WatchW

Re: How to transact for used watches
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 09:13:08 PM »

I plan to let go 2-3 watches to fund a new watch purchase.. but I have never traded via used market like this forum here.

1. how do i accept bookings / reservation and should i insist of deposit of say rm100 ? wanna avoid people that is not serious and wasting time

2. if the watch is worth a few thousands, what is the best way to transact ? cash, maybank2u or ?

3. after the watch is sold, should i insist some form of signature or pix evidence that the buyer has accepted the watch and cannot complain later ?

thanks all !

1) It is not common for potential buyer to pay any form of deposit until they have viewed the watch and confirm the purchase.

2) Once the buyer has viewed and confirmed, he should pay you cash or instant bank transfer.

3) After watch is sold, you can have some sort of sales agreement in writing.

Good luck on sales!

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline dstudio10

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 05:42:35 AM »

thanks all !

1) It is not common for potential buyer to pay any form of deposit until they have viewed the watch and confirm the purchase.

2) Once the buyer has viewed and confirmed, he should pay you cash or instant bank transfer.

3) After watch is sold, you can have some sort of sales agreement in writing.

Good luck on sales!

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

thanks for the fast reply.. is there anywhere I can copy a sales agreement sample ? i am not sure how it looks like.

Offline engkow

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 08:09:07 AM »
I bought here from members just straight forward no agreement, just pay cash that it. Both watch meet at Pavilion food court lower ground floor.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »
1. I normally sell to established members only. So far the method of dealing is that i get payment in full then i send the watch via poslaju. Of course you have to be very frank about the condition of the watch you are selling including photos of any blemish ( no matter how small ). Trust on a forum goes both ways.
2. Payment to me for a sum < RM10k so far was all via Maybank2u. I only did COD once and that was for a piece >RM20k.
3. For watches sold via Poslaju, i took the effort to track the parcel until it reached the new owner. Once new owner has received the watch, I will follow up with them. If they are happy with it, they indicate the same via SMS and we both go our separate ways.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dstudio10

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 01:42:47 PM »
1. I normally sell to established members only. So far the method of dealing is that i get payment in full then i send the watch via poslaju. Of course you have to be very frank about the condition of the watch you are selling including photos of any blemish ( no matter how small ). Trust on a forum goes both ways.
2. Payment to me for a sum < RM10k so far was all via Maybank2u. I only did COD once and that was for a piece >RM20k.
3. For watches sold via Poslaju, i took the effort to track the parcel until it reached the new owner. Once new owner has received the watch, I will follow up with them. If they are happy with it, they indicate the same via SMS and we both go our separate ways.

thanks so much for sharing your experience.. am waiting for my watch ads to be okayed by the moderator... has been a few days

Offline Chris

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 09:45:01 AM »
thanks for the info , was wondering that as well as I'm planning to let go a few of my watches as well

Offline spayre

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 02:41:33 PM »

thanks all !

1. ask for deposit. its saves your time and indicate that the seller is genuine
2. indicate that the process will be done via online transfer. Saves time from counting all the cash and also your safety cause then you will holding a lot of cash. Plus, online transfer is immediate and fast.
3. let the buyer inspect the watch and also help him to do so. Indicate where the scratches, dings, imperfection, serial number to the buyer so that he is aware. Bring a microfiber cloth and fold it nicely to use as a soft surface to rest the watch or as a soft landing if the buyer 'accidentally' dropped the watch!
Indicate that all sales are final, means that once the buyer bought the watch, there is no refund (what if the buyer change the movement within a day and ask for refund, then you are screwed cause very hard to detect that the movement changed. Also, what if the buyer swap with a replica?)

Also, choose a safe place, like a cafe or somewhat public place. Dont do it in someone house or car. Been cases where the buyer ask the seller to ride his car to get the cash at buyer home.... Next thing you know, the buyer robbed the seller and the seller not only lost two watches but also wallet and handphone.

Take note of the serial number before the transaction and re-verify the serial number if the transaction does not happen (sometimes the buyer might not buy it). This helps to avoid you been a victim of a swapped with a replica watch. What if your watch does not have any serial number? Easy, use a sticker at the caseback so that if the buyer want to swap, he need to swap the sticker too (troublesome).

Of course, by now you might be saying that my post is like an overkill.. too many things to do. But for me, if i can reduce any risk to me, I would do it. Plus, bringing a microfiber cloth is not that heavy! I didnt ask the value of the transaction cause whether it is a RM 50 or RM 1k watch, I would still do what I mentioned earlier cause it is still money...

Offline jim2106

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 03:01:25 PM »
Just wonder anybody had experience need to buy again the sold watch from purchaser after sometime/  1-2 days?
or one sold is always one way street? point of no return

Offline dstudio10

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 06:33:46 PM »

thanks all !

2. indicate that the process will be done via online transfer. Saves time from counting all the cash and also your safety cause then you will holding a lot of cash. Plus, online transfer is immediate and fast.
3. let the buyer inspect the watch and also help him to do so. Indicate where the scratches, dings, imperfection, serial number to the buyer so that he is aware. Bring a microfiber cloth and fold it nicely to use as a soft surface to rest the watch or as a soft landing if the buyer 'accidentally' dropped the watch!
Indicate that all sales are final, means that once the buyer bought the watch, there is no refund (what if the buyer change the movement within a day and ask for refund, then you are screwed cause very hard to detect that the movement changed. Also, what if the buyer swap with a replica?)

Also, choose a safe place, like a cafe or somewhat public place. Dont do it in someone house or car. Been cases where the buyer ask the seller to ride his car to get the cash at buyer home.... Next thing you know, the buyer robbed the seller and the seller not only lost two watches but also wallet and handphone.

Take note of the serial number before the transaction and re-verify the serial number if the transaction does not happen (sometimes the buyer might not buy it). This helps to avoid you been a victim of a swapped with a replica watch. What if your watch does not have any serial number? Easy, use a sticker at the caseback so that if the buyer want to swap, he need to swap the sticker too (troublesome).

Of course, by now you might be saying that my post is like an overkill.. too many things to do. But for me, if i can reduce any risk to me, I would do it. Plus, bringing a microfiber cloth is not that heavy! I didnt ask the value of the transaction cause whether it is a RM 50 or RM 1k watch, I would still do what I mentioned earlier cause it is still money...

thank you so much especially on the micro fibre and serial number .. very useful and much appreciated

Offline spayre

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 11:03:20 PM »

thanks all !

thank you so much especially on the micro fibre and serial number .. very useful and much appreciated

No prob, there are other things that you can take into consideration

1. Bring a bright torchlight if your watch unique feature is the lume (like Lumtech watches, AC watches), easier to showcase the unique feature. Quickly shine and use your hands to make the lume apparent. Also this helps to avoid the conversation of no lume or lume imperfection after the watch is sold

2. U can also use the torchlight to showcase the case and crystal perfection or imperfection. Avoid using handphone led light as it is not "focused" like a small torchlight