Author Topic: Seiko Perpetual Calendar, battery change.  (Read 7141 times)

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
Seiko Perpetual Calendar, battery change.
« on: November 19, 2017, 03:37:50 PM »
Just sharing a review of my recently acquired pre-owned watches, which are not functioning.

Long story short, I got this pre-owned Seiko Perpetual calendar off a local e-commerce site Mxxxh.com It was listed as non-working and a discussion with the owner yielded no results.

As the price was too good to pass (RM70), I took the plunge and bought it on the off chance that it just needed a new battery.

It arrived and understandably, its crystal is scratched as described but none too bad. Opened it up and checked, the battery was flat. So off to get a new battery to test.

It was at this point after calling numerous electronics shop in JB that I found out that the required battery CR2412 is relatively rare. Finally managed to locate a supplier in KL which has it. Paid RM20 for the battery which is around 1/3 of the watch cost.:o

After digging around for the Service Manual for the procedure, I proceeded after the battery arrived. To sum it up the battery replacement was straightforward, but the resetting of the calendar settings was a nightmare. It was like short this tab & that tab to the (+) positive side of the battery. All the time turning the watch around to check the date indicator.

Finally done, much to my relief the watch was running and keeping correct time. A run of the calendar checking function showed everything was working well. Watch here: https://youtu.be/fJcEypgoKq0

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:15:33 PM by JeepWH »
Seiko fan.....

Offline sshark

Re: Seiko Perpetual Calendar, battery change.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 04:38:53 PM »
Yes. It is rare. I bought it for rm30++. I couldn't get it anywhere so.i ordered online

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 06:50:23 AM »
I thought watch battery is small but this one is huge !

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 08:01:26 AM »
I remembered my adventure with the 52mm Seiko PC SNQ043. It was one of my fave watches and almost daily-worn for 5 years until the battery went flat. That was many years back and the cost was around RM80 for the new battery and PC re-settings, IIRC. One of the technicians advised that for PC watches, it's best to change the battery before the it goes flat- that way, any shops could easily do the replacement rather than necessitating a trip back to SC for the settings, which would then be more costly. A normal battery replacement was in the region of RM20 back then, meaning that the labour for the PC settings was RM60. A great watch during my early watch days!

Looking back at this Seiko PC, I understand why I went for the Ball Spacemaster Orbital 2. They looked identical in some ways, don't they?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:04:57 AM by D'Andy »
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 09:10:59 AM »
I thought watch battery is small but this one is huge !

According to the technical manual, it should last for 10 years. So the battery gotta be big too.

I remembered my adventure with the 52mm Seiko PC SNQ043. It was one of my fave watches and almost daily-worn for 5 years until the battery went flat. That was many years back and the cost was around RM80 for the new battery and PC re-settings, IIRC. One of the technicians advised that for PC watches, it's best to change the battery before the it goes flat- that way, any shops could easily do the replacement rather than necessitating a trip back to SC for the settings, which would then be more costly. A normal battery replacement was in the region of RM20 back then, meaning that the labour for the PC settings was RM60. A great watch during my early watch days!

Looking back at this Seiko PC, I understand why I went for the Ball Spacemaster Orbital 2. They looked identical in some ways, don't they?

Hi Andy, nice watch there. Nice Ball Spacemaster too, there are much similarities between the two.

Yes, most if not all Seiko quartz watches have a built in battery life indicator. If the battery is close to empty, the second hands jump in increments of 2 second ticks. That's the time where a battery replacement is needed. In the case of the perpetual calendars, the battery change has to be done within 3 mins so that the memory is not erased. The only problem is locating the batteries which many shops don't stock up.

Seiko fan.....