Author Topic: Opinion needed: Zenith el primero triple calendar moon phase chronomaster  (Read 6037 times)

Offline smartncy

Dear formers,

Appreciate if you can let me have your comment about getting a used discontinued Zenith el primero triple calendar moon phase chronometer of year 2001? I found a good piece in great condition with full box and certs with asking price around rm15k. I attached sample of photos (not the actual watch) for your reference.

Would this watch looks dated or old fashion? The dial size is just 40mm. Would this watch fit with casual wear and daily use? Love the complication but abit concern with of the durability and versatility. Your quick comment is highly appreciated as I have few more days to consider before leaving for my next destination. Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:29:43 PM by smartncy »

Offline phat7

Re: Opinion needed: Zenith el primero triple calendar moon phase chronomaster
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 01:03:31 AM »
Welcome to the world of watches.
The Cal 410 is hard to beat in terms of the movement and value proposition. You're getting calendar and moonphase in a 39mm elegant case. As the name suggests suggests the chronomaster is COsC certified and therefore having the certificate is important. There was a revision on movement in 1998/99 with Cal 410 receiving a z designation 410z.
I have the same watch and I mate it with differenteather straps for different occasions. It fits nicely under the cuff when I want to go formal and is fairly noticeable when in casual form especially with the doMed glass. The steppes bezel is another attention to detail you will notice as well as the step continues to the lugs which I find very elegant. All in all for 15k I would say it's a steal considering what you get.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 06:08:27 AM »
While I don't own one, I would think that this is a beautiful piece. Like our bro Phat has mentioned above, it doesn't mean it would be a dress watch only to be on a leather strap. I have worn jeans and a t-shirt with many leather strapped watches. Congrats on a wonderful find. Do post some pics up once it is acquired. 39mm is the sweet spot for watches on asian wrists, big and huge watches are overrated anyways...

Offline mongourou

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 06:42:39 AM »
You should look at the cost for servicing this movement too. I guess a triple calendar + moonphase is not cheap to service. Otherwise, nothing wrong with this watch.
Omega - Tudor - Halios - Casio

Offline Kesharoo

Agree with the others...great watch good price. Just be aware of the
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 10:12:08 AM »
maintenance bills, it would be good to know the watch history if available.

Offline phat7

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 10:27:01 AM »
Last time I serviced with replacement of parts was RM3300 thereabouts.
Zenith is pretty transparent with service costs as evident here http://m.zenith-watches.com/en_en_m/services/maintenance-rates