Author Topic: What caught you into this hobby?  (Read 6622 times)

Offline whomstdve

• Freshie
What caught you into this hobby?
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:10:53 AM »
Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

I've been reading all of your replies here, and can't help but be amazed with how vast knowledge most members here have regarding watches; taken into consideration how complex a movement is. And we have thousands of movements and brands out there!

So I'm curious, how did you guys got yourself involved in this hobby?

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Offline munyew90

Re: What caught you into this hobby?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 03:10:03 PM »
Internet. Reading sites and forum that discuss about watches.

Offline Nkssupreme

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 05:43:09 AM »
Started when buying first watch for myself by doing research on forums and internet.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 11:03:06 AM »
My Dad was a watchsmith- those of you whom are older may still remember the Kedai Emas dan Jam establishments, so you could say that I kind of grew up in this industry. Those were the days when the watch sifus would actually diagnose and repair watches for a small sum; rather than the throw and replace mindset of today. I could still remember how I took apart many Swiss and Japanese watches and mechanisms, and my Dad would put them back into whole again. Those were the golden time of mechanical watches, although the later quartz boom affected the industry and scene lots with cheap and disposable watches. But I was only a one-watch-guy for the early years of my career until life became more stable, afterwhich I started dabbling with watches and a long-lost love was found  :thumbsup:
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline whomstdve

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 03:53:38 PM »
My Dad was a watchsmith- those of you whom are older may still remember the Kedai Emas dan Jam establishments, so you could say that I kind of grew up in this industry. Those were the days when the watch sifus would actually diagnose and repair watches for a small sum; rather than the throw and replace mindset of today. I could still remember how I took apart many Swiss and Japanese watches and mechanisms, and my Dad would put them back into whole again. Those were the golden time of mechanical watches, although the later quartz boom affected the industry and scene lots with cheap and disposable watches. But I was only a one-watch-guy for the early years of my career until life became more stable, afterwhich I started dabbling with watches and a long-lost love was found 
That's quite a story. Having the chance to witness both watches from back then and modern ones now, which would u prefer?

Offline Timeless

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 04:20:55 PM »
Interesting story and amazing childhood  :thumbsup:

Offline shengyang

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »
From research on the internet to buy my first watch. Then it amazed me that how all the components work to power a watch without a battery.

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 04:34:13 AM »
I think my interest in watches came from my Dad's collection. I can remember the days where i would stand in front of the house safe and peruse his collection. It wasn't big but it had significant pieces like a Vacheron, Reverso, a couple of Daytonas and a Omega.  From there i cultivated a appreciation for how these watches could keep nearly perfect time without the aid of microchips (my dad was also a gadget freak and bought lots of Casio watches).

Offline jacobng

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 01:19:56 PM »
When I was an intern, some of the guys in the office are watch fanatics and it rubbed off on me.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 01:57:22 PM »
Well, many Swiss brands from the past had been forgotten over time, and some had been re-furbished by their new owners to tackle the entry-level and emerging markets in Asia. I used to miss the good o' designs of the past; but the vintage-inspired models e.g. offerings from Rolex, Tudor and Seiko of recent years; delivered vintage elements encased in better cases and equipped with updated movements. And you needn't worry about the WR of the new pieces compared to vintage pieces. So yeah, my vote's with the more modern offerings of recent times. Having said that, if any nice vintage pieces came about, I would not hesitate to add it into my collection for a chance to get up close and personal with a wrinkle in time.

My Dad was a watchsmith- those of you whom are older may still remember the Kedai Emas dan Jam establishments, so you could say that I kind of grew up in this industry. Those were the days when the watch sifus would actually diagnose and repair watches for a small sum; rather than the throw and replace mindset of today. I could still remember how I took apart many Swiss and Japanese watches and mechanisms, and my Dad would put them back into whole again. Those were the golden time of mechanical watches, although the later quartz boom affected the industry and scene lots with cheap and disposable watches. But I was only a one-watch-guy for the early years of my career until life became more stable, afterwhich I started dabbling with watches and a long-lost love was found 
That's quite a story. Having the chance to witness both watches from back then and modern ones now, which would u prefer?

Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Ajas

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 03:46:01 PM »
Back in 2008 bought first Seiko SKX 007 then 009 and 011.

Then it became addictive

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk

Offline JPSP

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 12:32:40 PM »
My wife asked me to get a decent watch so she got more than what she asked for.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline lovemywatch

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 11:57:02 PM »
a friend of mine keep on tagging me on FB on those watches  ;)

Offline sclai5675

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 09:54:02 PM »
Went to a friend's place where he showed me a whole of collection of watches! Can't stop thinking about it since then.

Offline Salience

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 01:06:23 AM »
poisoned. i think it is best that if you keep a simple life and would previously settle for a swatch, then suddenly got exposed to thees kind of watches and in the end, end up craving ownership, that's bad influence.

Offline zameenzahari

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 08:19:29 AM »
Living in Hong Kong from 2006-2009..everyday day walk by all those awesome second hand watches shop!!

Offline summerdragon

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 11:43:03 AM »
Dad is a watch collector, he gave me some watches since I was young, some japan made, some german, some swiss. And slowly know how to appreciate each of their value after growing older.

Offline gregorysze

• Centre Seconds
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 01:16:42 PM »
Echoing some members here, my Dad is quite the watch fanatic so you can say I got influenced by him, more so during my early 20s when he started handing down some of his watches from his collection to mine. Ever since then, it's just been an ongoing obsession.
"You can get a good watch at ANY price point." - Confucius, circa 500 BC.