Author Topic: Servicing your watch. Necessary ?  (Read 14183 times)

Offline B747-4H6

Re: Servicing your watch. Necessary ?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 06:31:05 AM »
My daily beater is running +/- 1 minute a week, got the the watch in 2012. By right the watch is now due for servicing. Still contemplating it though. Mainly because I think it's still running well. Any idea how much would it cost to service an 8500 Planet Ocean? And roughly how long would it take to service the watch?

Offline thickface

• Freshie
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 08:38:29 AM »
A watch smith once told me if your watch is not that expensive. No point servicing it until it runs off in keeping the time because the figure would not tally with your watch price. I guess this applies the same to cars. Older and cheaper cars will only fix when there is a problem, while newer and nicer car conduct preventive maintenance.

Offline jetstrim

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2017, 07:32:42 PM »
They say ' if it ain't broke don't fix it'... I send my watches to an independant watchmaker. Sometimes even if you send to the official SC, your watch mayy be passed to a  newbie .My watchmaker always delivers :thumbsup:

Offline B747-4H6

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2017, 07:35:06 PM »
Mind sharing contacts?

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2017, 05:50:14 AM »
My daily beater is running +/- 1 minute a week, got the the watch in 2012. By right the watch is now due for servicing. Still contemplating it though. Mainly because I think it's still running well. Any idea how much would it cost to service an 8500 Planet Ocean? And roughly how long would it take to service the watch?

It would cost circa RM2,200 to have a non-chrono Category C (full service, in Omega language) done at Omega SC. Lubricating, regularising, and even change of hands (have sent a PO and Speedy for Cat C, both times the hands were changed as a package under the servicing). If the parts are there, you should be able to have your watch back within 2 weeks or so. Watches came back performing like new after servicing.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Cocas

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 04:43:12 AM »
i have encountered a watch that ran too fast to the extent of 10 minutes +/- within  3-4 days.. :o >:(

Yes, very possible. If that happens, better quickly send for service before it's too late.

Just last week , I found out that my Omega Speedmaster Mark 40 got moist inside the watch . It's a crazy +967 second/day!

Luckily root cause found, the moist is too severe and the escapement balance wheel spring sticking together.

After service, it's back to normal at +5 second/day.

Offline ChrisChong

• Freshie
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2018, 06:37:39 PM »
I dont think it is necessary until the time runs out of its specification

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2018, 10:24:05 AM »
i have encountered a watch that ran too fast to the extent of 10 minutes +/- within  3-4 days.. :o >:(

Yes, very possible. If that happens, better quickly send for service before it's too late.

Just last week , I found out that my Omega Speedmaster Mark 40 got moist inside the watch . It's a crazy +967 second/day!

Luckily root cause found, the moist is too severe and the escapement balance wheel spring sticking together.

Oh wow, that sounds crazy. I hope the repairs was not too costly as some of the internal parts of the movement may be damaged?

I've just sent my wife's Portuguese chrono (5yrs) and my Portuguese Auto(4 yrs) for a full service for the fear of humidity damage. Both are still keeping relatively good time but I was concern with the sealants and gasket may be compromised over the years of daily wear. The service-centre gave an offer and serviced one of them for free with a 2 years guarantee on both.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2018, 04:26:52 PM »

Oh wow, that sounds crazy. I hope the repairs was not too costly as some of the internal parts of the movement may be damaged?

I've just sent my wife's Portuguese chrono (5yrs) and my Portuguese Auto(4 yrs) for a full service for the fear of humidity damage. Both are still keeping relatively good time but I was concern with the sealants and gasket may be compromised over the years of daily wear. The service-centre gave an offer and serviced one of them for free with a 2 years guarantee on both.

Should be quite reasonable because the shifu dry, clean, and oil it and I have had my PP did the same together. Total service cost for 2 watches only RM 450.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 04:29:49 PM by Cocas »

Offline cubangang

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 09:15:17 PM »
necessary, to maintain the internal watch movement and to make sure the watch rubber seal is replace so that water doesn't seep in within the watch

Offline summerdragon

• Freshie
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 12:03:52 AM »
My suggestion is never send your watch for servicing unless your watch starting to run inaccurate which in need of regulate.

Offline craftedseries

• Freshie
  • Bicycles fascinate me
    • Life
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2018, 12:22:12 AM »
Definitely necessary, not regularly though. Once an year I'd definitely get it serviced. Just in case if something is wrong  or so, need to be sure of it.

Offline mattwee89

• Freshie
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2018, 01:07:10 PM »
Ya i also wonder for automatic watch when do we need to do servicing actually? And servicing is for what?

Offline ebayer

• Freshie
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2018, 07:37:21 AM »
Besides servicing the watch when it runs too slow or too fast, it is also a good idea to service the watch to change the gaskets if you regularly expose your watch to water e.g. swimming, diving, etc.

Offline vrscse23

• Freshie
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2018, 11:52:16 AM »
Have a IWC double chrono. Currently about 4 years old. Time for a service?

Offline realist

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2018, 03:58:18 PM »
Watch servicing is necessary especially when the watch starts to lose time

Offline vrscse23

• Freshie
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2018, 09:02:10 PM »
I usually send my watches for servicing before the warrnty ends or if theres anything malfunctioning. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Offline tbgreen

• Freshie
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2018, 05:41:21 AM »
I have quite a number of watches in my collection and I seldom wear them as I only wear my daily beater, the rest are only either weekend watch or special occasion/holiday watch. I will service the valuable / meaningful watch in about 5 years time, the rest I'll let it run till problem starting occur then send for service.

Offline dstudio10

• Freshie
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2018, 04:16:48 PM »
i have a tag n i have not sent in for service before... warranty expires in 3 months time... will the dealer service my watch even though i dun think it has any problem ?