Author Topic: Patek Nautilus  (Read 27196 times)

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
Re: Patek Nautilus
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2016, 08:01:29 AM »
Lange is nice. I have handled a few pieces.

Adam I don't think 5170 is a copy of dato. Dato > 5170 for me. I think 5170 is a new version of 5070. For the chrono to get is the 5070. That's the end game for manual wind chrono for me.

with 5196 - yes this is sloppy, totally agree. This is reflected in the price. Also I would like to point out some of their white gold calatrava are rhodium plated. Beware of this. I witness a dealer try to polish a patek 6000g. It was a disaster. The piece had to be sent to patek service center for refinishing.

For calatrava have to get the auto movements - my preference would be the ones with a clean dial and auto movement and definitely not plated white gold ones. Careful the white gold pateks ! always make sure its not the plated version.

This is from Hodinkee:
The depth, the angles, the architecture, that balance cock! What we saw in 1999 was the first completely new, built-from-the-ground-up, in-house, manually wound chronograph in a generation, and absolutely the very first to be aimed squarely at the very high end. Keep in mind, the Datograph was launched just one year after Patek introduced the 5070, its first chronograph in 35 years, which used a caliber that was already 56 years old – though admittedly, Patek's modification of the 2310 is so comprehensive, many trained watchmakers I've asked say it does these watches a disservice to question their origins as anything but truly high-end. Still, at the core of it, the 5070 used the same movement as what was, at the time, a $1,500 Speedmaster.

It was clear that Lange had thrown down the gauntlet and it was up to the Swiss to respond – it took some time but Patek fired back with not only the caliber we see here in the 5170, but also those ultra-thin, mono-pusher movements we find in the mid-six-figure watches like the 5950A. Vacheron took a little longer to respond, but when it did, we all took notice. The launch, in 2014, of the Harmony caliber 3300 featured here, and the amazing self-winding, ultra-thin, mono-pusher split seconds chronograph, leveled the playing field with Patek and Lange, and that is why were are here today – to compare the absolute finest, in-house, manually wound chronographs on earth. Let's get down to it.

I thought the 5070 uses the Lemania movement? Don't see why the 5070 is the grail. The 5170 is obviously not a 'copy' of the datograph, but it was Patek's response. It's an excellent watch... don't get me wrong.

I'm just hoping that Patek ups their game and creates more innovative movements, designs etc.
Adam J
Currently own: Rolex GMT Pepsi 126710BLRO mark 1

Offline theseira

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2016, 11:44:07 AM »
Lange is nice. I have handled a few pieces.

Adam I don't think 5170 is a copy of dato. Dato > 5170 for me. I think 5170 is a new version of 5070. For the chrono to get is the 5070. That's the end game for manual wind chrono for me.

with 5196 - yes this is sloppy, totally agree. This is reflected in the price. Also I would like to point out some of their white gold calatrava are rhodium plated. Beware of this. I witness a dealer try to polish a patek 6000g. It was a disaster. The piece had to be sent to patek service center for refinishing.

For calatrava have to get the auto movements - my preference would be the ones with a clean dial and auto movement and definitely not plated white gold ones. Careful the white gold pateks ! always make sure its not the plated version.

This is from Hodinkee:
The depth, the angles, the architecture, that balance cock! What we saw in 1999 was the first completely new, built-from-the-ground-up, in-house, manually wound chronograph in a generation, and absolutely the very first to be aimed squarely at the very high end. Keep in mind, the Datograph was launched just one year after Patek introduced the 5070, its first chronograph in 35 years, which used a caliber that was already 56 years old – though admittedly, Patek's modification of the 2310 is so comprehensive, many trained watchmakers I've asked say it does these watches a disservice to question their origins as anything but truly high-end. Still, at the core of it, the 5070 used the same movement as what was, at the time, a $1,500 Speedmaster.

It was clear that Lange had thrown down the gauntlet and it was up to the Swiss to respond – it took some time but Patek fired back with not only the caliber we see here in the 5170, but also those ultra-thin, mono-pusher movements we find in the mid-six-figure watches like the 5950A. Vacheron took a little longer to respond, but when it did, we all took notice. The launch, in 2014, of the Harmony caliber 3300 featured here, and the amazing self-winding, ultra-thin, mono-pusher split seconds chronograph, leveled the playing field with Patek and Lange, and that is why were are here today – to compare the absolute finest, in-house, manually wound chronographs on earth. Let's get down to it.

I thought the 5070 uses the Lemania movement? Don't see why the 5070 is the grail. The 5170 is obviously not a 'copy' of the datograph, but it was Patek's response. It's an excellent watch... don't get me wrong.

I'm just hoping that Patek ups their game and creates more innovative movements, designs etc.

Ya 5070 is lemania

ya patek need to up their game. 5170 fail.

Not many modern patek interest me.

Just the few I like:

SS aquanaut (base model only)
most of the SS nautilus line

There are others but the price is way to high for me to even think about it.

Offline gchee

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2016, 09:55:12 AM »
Guys, what do you all think of the 5172?

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2016, 10:46:43 AM »
5172 approved by Adam

Offline theseira

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2016, 06:51:05 PM »

I think it's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gchee

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2016, 06:57:35 PM »
2 to 3 years wait list, lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Spider boy

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 08:44:42 AM »

Its abit more complicated dial for those who already own clean dials, you can try something different. I enjoyed my to every bit , still one of my fav. piece for the past 6 years

Offline gchee

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 09:01:43 AM »
5711 too plain for me.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2016, 04:38:43 PM »
Love the 5712. Already placed an order for my friend. A 3 year waiting list!

Watch the Hodinkee Talking Watches episode with Tony Fadell

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/talking-watches-with-tony-fadell
Adam J

Offline xavern81

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 07:23:41 AM »
I heard from a business associate who actually owns one of these beauties and a
His strategy is to go to a not-so-good AD/ sales person who might have serve the cream of the cream clientele. So that you are top on his list , so to speak. That is how he got his Nautilus he told me.

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 07:26:54 AM »
Whether we like it or not, money is what drives the watchmaking industry. If you have deep pockets and have previously bought many watches from an AD, you will be the top in their list.

So I guess the story goes.... make lots of money and buy lots of watches :)
Adam J

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2016, 08:46:33 AM »
His strategy is to go to a not-so-good AD/ sales person who might have serve the cream of the cream clientele. So that you are top on his list , so to speak. That is how he got his Nautilus he told me.

Can you find out from your associate how to identify a not-so-good sales person? I've heard of this method before but in reality, the better sales person will always get first choice when it comes to internal allocation. Nevertheless, no harm trying  :)
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline khairain

• Freshie
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2016, 12:01:59 PM »

You might be right.. My personal experience I wanted to get a specific watch from Boutique. They told me I have to wait for at least 2 months if I'm going to get one since incoming stocks will be in 2 months time. 2 days later they call me the watch is available. But My Nautilus was pure luck went to AD ask for it got stock purchase and walk out the shop a happy man... ;)

Offline xavern81

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2016, 01:02:16 PM »

Can you find out from your associate how to identify a not-so-good sales person? I've heard of this method before but in reality, the better sales person will always get first choice when it comes to internal allocation. Nevertheless, no harm trying  :)

Hi there, let me get the answer from this guy. He claimed to have an Aqualus too (correct spelling?)

Offline Timeless

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2016, 04:32:25 PM »
5711 looks well balanced to me

Offline vkalia

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2016, 01:00:40 PM »
And now apparently, AP is joining this madness.

"Long waiting list for the 15400, we dont know when we will get it in stock".

Are you effing KIDDING me?  Do the Swiss not realize that jerking your customers around when they are willing to pay large sums of money for your watch is NOT a good idea?     I am done with Patek and if i get this line from an AP dealer in person, i am done with AP as well.    I am sure they wont miss my purchase, but that's ok, I can live without them as well.

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2016, 01:26:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure they would sell as much as they can. Only really hot models that have a reserve list would be difficult to get. But the 15400st should be a relatively easy watch to get. The 15202 though...
Adam J

Offline vkalia

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »
Maybe it is the Sincere Fine Watches guy trying to talk up demand?

15202 is in stock in Singapore.    But what's gotten my attention has been the recently announced Lange 1 Moonphase.  Oh.  My!!!

Offline theseira

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2016, 05:35:50 AM »
Maybe it is the Sincere Fine Watches guy trying to talk up demand?

15202 is in stock in Singapore.    But what's gotten my attention has been the recently announced Lange 1 Moonphase.  Oh.  My!!!

15202 is easier to get. I have seen stock available at multiple AP stores. However the price have gone up a lot since I last enquired about it.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2016, 05:57:47 AM »

"Long waiting list for the 15400, we dont know when we will get it in stock".

that's what keep the brand for so many years and many more years to come...

Offline Timeless

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2016, 12:46:31 PM »
Waiting period is getting longer lately, try reach out overseas boutiques/ADsm

Offline artyca

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2017, 08:22:46 AM »
Throughout my overseas travels, I've always popped into a Patek boutique no matter if it was in Dubai, Vienna, Munich etc etc. and asked the same question: Do you have a 5711 available?

Response has unfortunately always been the same: "Sorry sir, long waiting list" with a foolish smirk on the face of the Sales Consultant.

Offline V...

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2017, 02:10:29 PM »
PP Just increased about 12% since 1st feb this yr.

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2017, 08:13:17 PM »
Yeah I heard PP increased their prices by like 12.5% across the board. The 5711 is now like almost 100k ringgit.
Adam J

Offline artyca

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2017, 08:20:38 PM »
Yeah I heard PP increased their prices by like 12.5% across the board. The 5711 is now like almost 100k ringgit.
Okay I give up!! :-(