Author Topic: Patek Nautilus  (Read 27186 times)

Offline vkalia

Patek Nautilus
« on: November 22, 2016, 12:24:28 PM »
Does anyone have any info on a dealer who can source a Patek Nautilus or Aquanaut at relatively short notice (say 3-6 months)?

I've tried the Cortina Patek dealer (I have a good relationship with their KLCC store) but they arent sure if they can get one - limited availability and very long waiting list.

TIA!

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
Re: Patek Nautilus
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 01:31:07 PM »
Does anyone have any info on a dealer who can source a Patek Nautilus or Aquanaut at relatively short notice (say 3-6 months)?

I've tried the Cortina Patek dealer (I have a good relationship with their KLCC store) but they arent sure if they can get one - limited availability and very long waiting list.

TIA!

Tough one! Good luck!
Adam J
Currently own: Rolex GMT Pepsi 126710BLRO mark 1

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 02:26:19 PM »
Been on the waiting list for 2 years. Ridiculous (I guess I may not be high on the AD's premier customer list) but true. Was told to look elsewhere (another country) to increase the chance of being allocated one. Forget about Singapore, the list is equally long if not longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 02:36:56 PM »
Been on the waiting list for 2 years. Ridiculous (I guess I may not be high on the AD's premier customer list) but true. Was told to look elsewhere (another country) to increase the chance of being allocated one. Forget about Singapore, the list is equally long if not longer.

There's always alternatives  :thumbsup: But damn, 2 years already? Do you constantly remind them?
Adam J

Offline vkalia

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 03:22:59 PM »

Same here.   I have a reasonably good relationship with Cortina (bought a Tudor, a GO and a Cartier from them in the last year) but they are also telling me to check elsewhere.

Even UK dealers told me that their waitlist is full.

Everyone who has a watch in stock wants a 40-50% premium for it.

If I don't get a reasonable timeline for delivery, I may just get an AP and Patek can go take a hike.  This whole "prove yourself worthy" nonsense grates on my nerves.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 05:14:39 PM »

There's always alternatives  :thumbsup: But damn, 2 years already? Do you constantly remind them?

I do, every other month. Been buying a lot from them but I don't think that matters much. The sheer scarcity of  PP is the bulk of the problem.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 05:57:16 PM »

Same here.   I have a reasonably good relationship with Cortina (bought a Tudor, a GO and a Cartier from them in the last year) but they are also telling me to check elsewhere.

Even UK dealers told me that their waitlist is full.

Everyone who has a watch in stock wants a 40-50% premium for it.

If I don't get a reasonable timeline for delivery, I may just get an AP and Patek can go take a hike.  This whole "prove yourself worthy" nonsense grates on my nerves.

It goes to show that PP pricing scheme is wrong. Honestly, at the current pricing a lot of people can afford it but PP can't supply it to them. I do agree this unfortunate situation makes the brand experience very sour.

Offline toypoodle

• In God We Trust
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 06:42:59 PM »
Saw loads of Nautilus in KLCC's boutique when I send in my Nautilus & Annual Calender for lubs service 4 months ago.

Offline toypoodle

• In God We Trust
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 06:58:37 PM »
....... I have even tried on their latest wg 5170 & 5270. But, don't like its flimsy Calatrava feel. Still prefer the old yet oversize 5070 & 5970.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 05:44:11 AM »
Saw loads of Nautilus in KLCC's boutique when I send in my Nautilus & Annual Calender for lubs service 4 months ago.

Very disappointed after knowing this. The AD should at least update the people on the waiting list on the status. Honestly I can look at this either:
1) New batch has arrived but already allocated to those on the waiting list; or
2) The "waiting list" is a sham; and like a 'pasar' if you happen to be in the shop when examples are available, you can get one easily.

It better not be (2)  :Mad:

Offline theseira

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 06:06:13 AM »
Very difficult to get in Asian countries especially Singapore and HK.

Best to go overseas to countries where there are not much demand in watches, find an honest AD that wont charge you premium, put down deposit and wait.

IMO the white dial didn't really help. That just made things worst. for example instead of producing 100% blue dial 5711 now the production is definitely split between blue and white which could potentially lower the stock of blue dial.

Also I remember there was an interview Thierry Stern mentioned that he don't want Patek to be a one watch brand. He is also aware of the demand of the nautilus and he knows that he can sell easily. See below:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/interview-thierry-stern-president-of-patek-philippe

Offline toypoodle

• In God We Trust
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 06:10:39 AM »
Meoramri, KLCC's PP Boutique price maybe higher, ....... SA said mine old Nauty worth >100k now. You may try yr luck there ......

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 06:42:40 AM »
one willing to pay 100k and yet have to wait for years

good business

Offline theseira

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 06:46:02 AM »
The list price at today's MYR should be around RM83k (excluding gst) range.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 07:15:24 AM »
Thanks guys for the input.

Offline vkalia

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 12:48:10 PM »
Meoramri, KLCC's PP Boutique price maybe higher, ....... SA said mine old Nauty worth >100k now. You may try yr luck there ......

KLCC's boutique is Cortina, right?  The rep from their store in KLCC tried to put me on the waitlist but with no luck. 

A HK dealer can get one for me for USD25k - which is nearly a 30% premium.  He is obviously sourcing it from a dealer, as he told me he needs 10-12 days to get it in stock.

That's nonsense.  I refuse to reward Patek's deliberate overlooking of their customers' interest.    I can get a RO and a Blancpain for the same price, and will probably do just that.

Offline theseira

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 02:02:11 PM »

KLCC's boutique is Cortina, right?  The rep from their store in KLCC tried to put me on the waitlist but with no luck. 

A HK dealer can get one for me for USD25k - which is nearly a 30% premium.  He is obviously sourcing it from a dealer, as he told me he needs 10-12 days to get it in stock.

That's nonsense.  I refuse to reward Patek's deliberate overlooking of their customers' interest.    I can get a RO and a Blancpain for the same price, and will probably do just that.

I vote for RO 15202 - problem is that the price also gone up.

Offline vkalia

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 02:41:30 PM »

A RO + a Blancpain Bathyscape are likely to be my next purchases.   I don't mind paying a 10% premium but beyond that, I'll get something else. 

This whole "make you work hard to give us money for our overpriced watch" approach puts me off, rather than attracts me to the brand.

Offline theseira

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 11:00:16 AM »

A RO + a Blancpain Bathyscape are likely to be my next purchases.   I don't mind paying a 10% premium but beyond that, I'll get something else. 

This whole "make you work hard to give us money for our overpriced watch" approach puts me off, rather than attracts me to the brand.

Well all good choices.

Despite the bad approach required to get the 5711.

You can't go wrong with the Patek 5711.

Offline vkalia

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2016, 11:03:52 AM »
^^^^. Hehe, that's not helping, man. :)

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 11:12:16 AM »
It would be nice to get a Patek. But are they really the big bad boys of yesteryear Patek that everyone was dreaming about?

Seems to me they just copy stuff nowadays. When AP came out with the Royal Oak, they created the Nautilus. When Lange came out with the Datograph, they came out with the 5170.

The creation of the 5196, fitting a larger case with a small movement seemed sloppy to me.

But yeah, because they are Patek they can continue to do this? For how long? You look at the Grande Lange 1 Moonphase that has like 800+ stars on the moonphase... or the zeitwerk... the datograph... I think Patek will be in trouble if this keeps up.
Adam J

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2016, 02:27:58 PM »
so Lange is the big bad boys of present years ?

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2016, 02:59:12 PM »
so Lange is the big bad boys of present years ?

It's hard to argue otherwise. Since Lange's revival... they've been coming up with ridiculous watches... datograph, fusee chain, zeitwerk, thousands of stars in their moonphase, etc

Then they top it off with double-assemble, beautiful finishing (the datograph and up/down chrono finishing is the best i've ever seen), good customer service....

Maybe in terms of heritage and brand name Patek is ahead. But you know... you never really own a Patek.... you just hold it till the next auction  ;D

Adam J

Offline theseira

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2016, 06:18:04 AM »
Lange is nice. I have handled a few pieces.

Adam I don't think 5170 is a copy of dato. Dato > 5170 for me. I think 5170 is a new version of 5070. For the chrono to get is the 5070. That's the end game for manual wind chrono for me.

with 5196 - yes this is sloppy, totally agree. This is reflected in the price. Also I would like to point out some of their white gold calatrava are rhodium plated. Beware of this. I witness a dealer try to polish a patek 6000g. It was a disaster. The piece had to be sent to patek service center for refinishing.

For calatrava have to get the auto movements - my preference would be the ones with a clean dial and auto movement and definitely not plated white gold ones. Careful the white gold pateks ! always make sure its not the plated version.

Offline toypoodle

• In God We Trust
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 06:57:46 AM »
Theseira is right on 5070