Author Topic: Vintage Rolex - Are they worth it?  (Read 8324 times)

Offline KimmJio

• Freshie
Vintage Rolex - Are they worth it?
« on: September 12, 2015, 03:03:24 PM »
Hi all,

I came across a vintage Rolex Datejust 1603 (circa 1968). The look is really classic and i'm quite attracted to it. Given that it such an old watch and it has been completely overhauled + polished. Is it worth to buy it? Or will it be more worthwhile to buy a similar Datejust 16234 (circa 1995) for almost twice the money? And how much do you think they are worth?

Offline ikttan

• Freshie
Re: Vintage Rolex - Are they worth it?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 06:34:37 PM »
Funnily, I have both the 1603 and the 16234.  If they are well looked after, I would get the 16234.  Simply because:-

(1) The 16234 has a better bracelet quality (somehow on the ones that I have)
(2) The 1603 does not have quick date set (if your date is wrong, you need to wind wind wind wind)
(3) The 1603, if I am not mistaken is not a bi-directional (dunno what's it called) automatic while the 16234 is. (Sorry, my terminology may be wrong).

But for half the price ... well, it really depends.  I think market value for the 1603 is about 6-7k and the 16234 is about 11-12k (maybe I am wrong here but that's what I remembered).

Offline KimmJio

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 08:00:04 PM »
Funnily, I have both the 1603 and the 16234.  If they are well looked after, I would get the 16234.  Simply because:-

(2) The 1603 does not have quick date set (if your date is wrong, you need to wind wind wind wind)
(3) The 1603, if I am not mistaken is not a bi-directional (dunno what's it called) automatic while the 16234 is. (Sorry, my terminology may be wrong).

But for half the price ... well, it really depends.  I think market value for the 1603 is about 6-7k and the 16234 is about 11-12k (maybe I am wrong here but that's what I remembered).
Thank you bro for your detailed answer! It certainly cleared my doubts about the 2 models that may looked similar.  :thumbsup:

The 16234 is awesome looking but price is a little out of my budget, sadly.

Offline ikttan

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 10:09:54 PM »
Oh, if not mistaken, the 1603 has slower bph while the 16234 has a modern 3135 movement which is 28k bph

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 10:47:30 AM »
If your collection has not had a vintage piece, then by all means, go for the Rollie 1603. It may not have quick date-set, but when you have a vintage piece with history behind it, you may just enjoy caressing the watch from time to time and appreciating her beauty while setting the date. Add to the fact that it has been overhauled and should run prettily along, and you would have yourself a winner. I have had both the vintage and modern DJ 36mm, and I dare say that the plexiglass on the vintage just looked so sexy and alluring. If your vintage DJ has a bracelet that was not too stretched, that would be an added bonus.

Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline KimmJio

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:02:34 PM »
wow bro, very nice watches of yours.  :thumbsup:

i think i'll consider more thoroughly before pulling the trigger.  :)

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 06:41:58 PM »
My take is make sure u hv a good knowledge on vintage prior pull the trigger... Franken movement, matching bracelet, serial number reference and etc

Offline Friedrice

• qui parle trop manque souvent
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 09:15:14 PM »
If your collection has not had a vintage piece, then by all means, go for the Rollie 1603. It may not have quick date-set, but when you have a vintage piece with history behind it, you may just enjoy caressing the watch from time to time and appreciating her beauty while setting the date. Add to the fact that it has been overhauled and should run prettily along, and you would have yourself a winner. I have had both the vintage and modern DJ 36mm, and I dare say that the plexiglass on the vintage just looked so sexy and alluring. If your vintage DJ has a bracelet that was not too stretched, that would be an added bonus.

Nice watches you have there but quick question. I have rarely seen a vintage with a closed 26 on the date wheel before. All vintage date wheels have open 6 and 9. They also have a flat 4. You really scored big time with a all open 6 and 9 except for 26 date wheel. I heard these are pretty rare. Mind showing us the open 6 and 9 plus the flat 4 also on your date window please?  :Jumping:

But they are really nice TT Datejusts. Very well maintained too, especially the vintage one. Would love to get one with caliber 3035 one day. I can't go any older as I need the quickset date..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 09:19:54 PM by Friedrice »
Rolex datejust 16200
Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Omega Aqua Terra Co-Axial 8500
Omega seamaster co-axial GMT 2535.80
Omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich 3573.50
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Longines Legend Diver Date
Zenith 2532
Omega seamaster bumper 355
Tissot T-Touch expert
Ball engineer master ii diver
Ball trainmaster pulsemeter
Tag heuer aqua racer automatic

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 07:07:40 PM »
Hi Friedrice, you were quite the hawk-eyed there ;D Yup, my 1601 had the closed "6" in 26. From what I read vide Rolex forums and other watch forums, there appeared much ambiguity over the vintage date wheels which could be summarised as per the following :

1) Open 6s and 9s for all such digits;
2) Open 6s and 9s for all such digits except close 26;
3) Close 6s and 9s for all such digits.

I can't recall if the other 6s and 9s were open and looked through the pics in my blog but unfortunately had not come across those dates. Flipped the watch circa half a year back, but would be interesting if it was the rarer version that you mentioned. Some variations in the wheel date as lifted from the Net :

Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 02:33:36 AM »

Hi Friedrice, you were quite the hawk-eyed there ;D Yup, my 1601 had the closed "6" in 26. From what I read vide Rolex forums and other watch forums, there appeared much ambiguity over the vintage date wheels which could be summarised as per the following :

1) Open 6s and 9s for all such digits;
2) Open 6s and 9s for all such digits except close 26;
3) Close 6s and 9s for all such digits.

I can't recall if the other 6s and 9s were open and looked through the pics in my blog but unfortunately had not come across those dates. Flipped the watch circa half a year back, but would be interesting if it was the rarer version that you mentioned. Some variations in the wheel date as lifted from the Net :

Thanks Friedrice and Andy, i have learned new things today....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline Friedrice

• qui parle trop manque souvent
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 08:10:42 PM »
@Andy - If it was the rarer date wheel, you could have sold it for a lot more to serious Rolex Collectors.  :o

Thanks for the compliments. I am still learning something new about Rolexes and Omega's everyday so am not really an expert yet. I think you are the sifu here as I think i have spoken to you IRL before and you are very knowledgable especially with vintages.

PS - I am the little bugger at the Sunday flea market whom asked you a lot of questions about everything..  ;D
Rolex datejust 16200
Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Omega Aqua Terra Co-Axial 8500
Omega seamaster co-axial GMT 2535.80
Omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich 3573.50
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Longines Legend Diver Date
Zenith 2532
Omega seamaster bumper 355
Tissot T-Touch expert
Ball engineer master ii diver
Ball trainmaster pulsemeter
Tag heuer aqua racer automatic

Offline Timeless

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 03:46:42 PM »
Learned something new, good valueable info

Offline Cocas

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 06:50:15 PM »

Just to update that their pre-owned prices today (inclusive of GST)

1601 ss bracelet = RM 9400
16234 ss bracelet = RM 16300

Offline yehlai

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 08:39:58 PM »
No, because if I tell you Paul Newman's Dayto worth 17.5mil will you believe?

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 07:28:17 AM »
No, because if I tell you Paul Newman's Dayto worth 17.5mil will you believe?
That’s 17.5 million USD, not ringgit...