Author Topic: Engagement ring  (Read 58519 times)

Offline dpkong

Re: Engagement ring
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 09:13:58 PM »
All these minimum requirements for marriage is making me sick to the stomach.. No wonder so many young couples go into debt just for their wedding..

There is a big jump for diamonds >0.5 so my humble opinion is below 0.5 carat still gives the most value. If your fiancee complains at the size of the rock on her finger, maybe you guys need to rethink your priorities

As per TT comment, I think the boob size is a good reference for the diamond size...

Offline skynetx1

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2014, 06:07:02 PM »
Hai. Planning to buy diamond ring to my wife. After doing some survey and found 1.
The spec of the stone is 0.28ct F vs1 and 2e. Plus the 18k white gold setting it cost me 3.3k.
Is it worth for me to get it with that price? Hope u all can give some advice. Thanks.

Offline el118

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2014, 07:49:55 AM »
Hai. Planning to buy diamond ring to my wife. After doing some survey and found 1.
The spec of the stone is 0.28ct F vs1 and 2e. Plus the 18k white gold setting it cost me 3.3k.
Is it worth for me to get it with that price? Hope u all can give some advice. Thanks.

Hi bro, best to compare a few jewelry shops and you would roughly know the market price. better than asking a bunch of watch snob here. ;)

Offline timenut

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2014, 10:01:01 PM »
Thought I'd share since I did quite a bit of research when I was shopping for an engagement ring.

Here are a couple of tips to get the most out of your money, especially if your future wife is not into "specs". Of the 4Cs, to stretch your dollar, focus on carat and cut, i.e. get the biggest diamond you can afford with the best cut. Size is important as it is the most obvious trait when someone looks at the diamond. No girl is going to appreciate it even if you tell her that it's flawless D diamond, if it's tiny.

As for cut, an excellent cut can make the diamond look "whiter" (as well as larger). It also brings the bling to the diamond. Very important so that your diamond does not look like a dead piece of ice. In my opinion, aim for a GIA 3X (i.e. triple excellent) diamond or an AGS 0 diamond, if it fits your budget.

Colour is less important because unless your diamond is more than a carat as it's unlikely that a girl will be able to tell the colour difference between, say an E and a G when comparing the diamonds face up, and encased in a ring. For best bang for buck, I would go for G or H, or even an I.

Clarity is where you can get the most value out of your purchase. Most people usually look at VVS / VS diamonds because the inclusions look bad on the cert, or they think that it is better to have a "clean" diamond. In my opinion, while that is fine, you won't be able to see the benefits of a high clarity diamond unless you are looking to get a >1.5 carat diamond or if you are always looking at it under the scope. So long as the diamond is "eye clean", i.e. unable to see any inclusions with a 20/20 vision 6 inches away from the diamond, it's good enough. Be wary though that certain clarity traits like "cloud" can make the diamond less sparkly, thus, choose carefully the type of inclusion. Also, traits such as blue luminescence can make the diamond look whiter, but at the same time, may result in a somewhat milky appearance.

Finally, although it's difficult to assess objectively because no two showrooms are the same, and each would be equipped with a dazzling array of light sources to make diamonds you see look as good as possible, trust your eyes! A good diamond will look great under any lighting condition. If a diamond looks "dead", just because it's not in a showroom, it's not the diamond you should go for.

By the way, here are a couple of photos of the diamond I got. Self taken under a scope. The diamond was purchased from a reputable online dealer.

Specs:- 1.05 ct, E, SI1, AGS 0 (Hearts and Arrows). By the way, hearts and arrows does not necessary mean that the diamond is shinier than one which is non H&A. If both diamonds have the same level of cut (e.g. GIA 3x), they should have similar light return characteristics.

Finally, as advised by others, get the best diamond you can afford without going overboard, or into debt. Diamond prices go up over time, thus, if you can afford it, better to buy now than wait till later.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:02:59 PM by timenut »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »
 :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Offline stannloh

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2014, 08:31:30 AM »
Bought one for my wife (an upgrade after 7 yrs of marriage) from Love & co., 0.54ct, F, VS1, all in price RM16K.

No lady will say no to this glittering monster.

Offline vobs

• Freshie
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »
Good info for ppl who wanted to tie the knot lol....seems expensive...

Offline Cocas

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2016, 05:11:02 AM »
Another piece of advice before going with diamonds.

1. Read up about conflict diamonds. That should put you and the woman (hopefully!) off...

But if that fails,

2. Google/read about the diamond certification hype.

In the end of the day, the woman of your life will want a diamond. Make it count!!

Technology advancement is faster than we think.

Lately I come across the lab created diamond (it is 100% real diamond but just created in lab with controlled environment) with totally "clean" as compared against those "blood diamond" and "conflict diamond" . Above all they are eco friendly and more green to our environment.

If anyone want diamond, the lab created diamond is a good choice. :thumbsup:

Offline ruez88

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »
I got my now wife a Heart on Fire solitaire ring at KLCC in which Habib Jewels is their sole distributor in Malaysia. The "world's most perfectly cut diamond" tag line can only be seen when you see it under the microscope. It was a beauty indeed and it costed me 20k for a 0.5 carat diamond. I had to use 2 credit cards and pay in instalments to get it cleared (and which I did).

To be honest, get a simple one. A solitaire is classic and nice. I would advise to go for the Carat over others as long as it is GIA certified. You wont be able to see the Cut, Colour and Clarity with your naked eyes. It depends on whether your GF is a demanding one. If she is then you better consult her about it or risk having her put it somewhere where the light doesnt shine. But of course, true love is never measured with material things. A useful tip would be to make the proposal as touching as you can so that the diamond ring is really just something extra.

Offline robertjong83

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2016, 08:32:47 AM »
i suggest you save up and buy a cheaper ring. use the money for wedding preparations, honeymoon or etc. or save it for the baby.

Offline strapfreak

• Freshie
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2017, 02:59:09 PM »
simple and nice, success rate 99.9%

wow that's really nice! My wife would love it if i buy it as a surprise gift!

Offline Oliver8426

« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2020, 05:27:16 PM »
Hi, because i am planning to propose my gf. and i was searching online and came across this forum. I saw there are some beautiful diamond. But i was very very noob in diamond. Anyone can advice on it?
thanks

Offline dexson

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2020, 07:10:43 PM »
Hi Oliver,

I am no diamond expert but I've recently proposed and got married (just settled everything before this MCO havoc).

Sharing my 2 cents here.

1) Go to a few reputable outlet and approach the sales person. Tell them you want an engagement ring and they will surely happily explain to you. then,

2) Compare the prices within few brands... (unless you are looking into high end jewelry brands like cartier, van cleef etc)

3) Make ur decision - usually comes down to balancing between carat size, clarity, color etc..

For me, I find that with naked eye we cannot tell alot of difference if the clarity is just 1 or 2 step above. In this case, you can consider taking the lower clarity one but bigger carat size... same goes for color. Everything is about balance. If want every category to be good then also expect the damage to be heavy.

At last, I had chosen Wah Chan and purchased a ring which I find worth for what I paid for. Beware for alot marketing terms like 10 heart 10 swords... bla bla.... at the end its just how they cut it. everyone claims their cut brings out all the shines and reflecting most lights etc... take a step back and judge for urself. Do not be fooled by the bright spotlight directing at the diamonds. They do not appear like that under natural light at all.

Good luck with your purchase and wish you the best in your marriage.

Best Regards,
Dexson.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2020, 07:56:14 PM »
Hi Oliver,

I am no diamond expert but I've recently proposed and got married (just settled everything before this MCO havoc).

Sharing my 2 cents here.

1) Go to a few reputable outlet and approach the sales person. Tell them you want an engagement ring and they will surely happily explain to you. then,

2) Compare the prices within few brands... (unless you are looking into high end jewelry brands like cartier, van cleef etc)

3) Make ur decision - usually comes down to balancing between carat size, clarity, color etc..

For me, I find that with naked eye we cannot tell alot of difference if the clarity is just 1 or 2 step above. In this case, you can consider taking the lower clarity one but bigger carat size... same goes for color. Everything is about balance. If want every category to be good then also expect the damage to be heavy.

At last, I had chosen Wah Chan and purchased a ring which I find worth for what I paid for. Beware for alot marketing terms like 10 heart 10 swords... bla bla.... at the end its just how they cut it. everyone claims their cut brings out all the shines and reflecting most lights etc... take a step back and judge for urself. Do not be fooled by the bright spotlight directing at the diamonds. They do not appear like that under natural light at all.

Good luck with your purchase and wish you the best in your marriage.

Best Regards,
Dexson.

Bravo @Dexson!