Author Topic: Final culling....  (Read 13046 times)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Final culling....
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:56:45 PM »
In line with the question raised by Terrenceterrence 'Would you' thread, I have been contemplating going along a similar path. I have been contemplating a forth and final culling of my collection. I have been thinking about this on and off for the past one month and the decision seems to be a logical one. The way I look at it, after the final cull, the collection will be reduced to about 10 watches, maybe less.

Identified keepers are:

Rolex GMT Master
Rolex SeaDweller 4000
Tudor Heritage Chrono
Omega X-33
Omega Seamaster Professional Chrono 300M
Breitling Aerospace
Sinn U1 Lemon
Bell & Ross Airborne II

And if it happens, by this Thursday a Tudor 7016/0 Snowflake.

That makes a total of 8 watches. I am thinking of adding either a Rolex Submariner 5513, 14060 or 14060M or maybe even a 5512 to the collection. So if these additions come to fruit, there will be 10 watches.

And yes, the the Italian boys are on the chopping block.

Would you do it?

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Final culling....
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 03:13:15 PM »
Really hobbits?
You are killing Gucci army's watch?

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »
IMHO i would keep just one pam.. and let the rest go...
Jacky Wong

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »
hmmmm.. is it coincidence or many watch aficionados are also culling this year.
maybe its cyclical..

I made a resolution on 1st Jan 2012 that I'd cull my watches from 20+ to between 7-10 by mid year.
So far I've sold 10 pieces (6 in MWF).

I've decided to keep a mix of Swiss, Japanese & German manufactures..
2 JLCs, 3 GS, 2 Omegas (as beaters), 2 GO's (in the process of acquisition)... the last 1 piece.... should be my ultimate grail....

After much difficulty and stress in selling to sometimes difficult buyers and losing easily minimum 35-50% of original cost (all my watches to-date had been bought new, except a recent Flieger),
I just hope discipline can be maintained that in order to buy a new watch, an existing one  must first go or this entire exercise would have been futile and very costly in the process..... :mooning:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 03:32:25 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 04:03:43 PM »
I would definitely do it. We cant wear too many watches.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline shamtv2555

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 04:10:06 PM »
bro ivan...ur pam leh?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 04:20:28 PM »
Really hobbits?
You are killing Gucci army's watch?

The thought has crossed my mind. I have not worn nor open the watch case with the boys for a month? Don't seem to be missing them. Who knows.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 04:22:36 PM »
bro ivan...ur pam leh?

yes, the pams. I did it once before a couple of years ago, hence gaps in the millesimation.

Offline sm

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 07:16:14 PM »
Master Hobbit, I concurred. When I first started, someone told me to stick to 8. I have 6, always keep vacancies for the next one. I rotate mine, on case I need to remove it from my collection. As least I can say that been there and done it.

You have accomplished so much in this expensive hobby. There always be another one more handsome coming in or another collectors piece.

I salute you. And give you my undivided support!

Offline gloomis

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 08:27:33 PM »
wondering y must be 10? y cannot 12 or 15? then no nid so headache  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 09:49:39 PM »
wondering y must be 10? y cannot 12 or 15? then no nid so headache  :Laughing_on_floor:

As I am already retired, I have minimal opportunity to wear the watches. So rather then leave them in boxes (but good for patina), might as well look for some good home for them, where they will be worn. I use to wear my Panerai PAM00003 to work. It would get bashed and I went thru a number of leather straps with that watch (original strap still in box though). But now it sit languishing in the box. I wear the Bell & Ross Airborne II more (now with the strap that I want, until the Gunny one arrives).

Given a choice, I would only keep the following:

1. Rolex GMT Master (long and awesome history)
2. Rolex Sea Dweller (my first Rolex, never mind pre-loved)
3. Tudor Heritage Chrono (wife got this for me)
4. Tudor Submariner (in the nego stage)
5. Omega Seamaster Chrono 300M (my first 'real' watch)
6. Omega X-33 (must have quartz digital watch)
7. Breitling Aerospace (long history of wanting one)
8. Sinn U1 Lemon (wife got it for me)

and a host of 'main main' watch like the Ice Watch which I share with the kids and wife and the G-shocks for days where I help out at the wildlife conservation centre.

As for the Bell & Ross, it's the skull thing (pirate, Normandy Landing, One Piece, etc.... you get the picture)

As for the 'Gucci Army watch', don't be deceived to thinking that I don't like the brand, rather the contrary. I love the brand. However of late I tire of the brand, the games they play or we have to play, there is really no thrill in the hunt anymore, prices going crazy mistakes made, etc. I sold off my Panerai collection once, due personal reason, but I am not beyond doing it again.

Perhaps it is a case of been there done that?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:17:08 PM by TheHobbit »

Offline gloomis

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 06:08:41 AM »
oic...... every watch in your collection come with a story behind.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 07:40:25 AM »
Final decision has been made. The Gucci Army boys stays. Additions, a B Uhr B dial watch (going full circle after getting rid of the Stowa, Laco and IWC) and perhaps either a Rolex Submariner or the Tudor Pelagos or the Tudor Black Bay. To be culled, the Montblanc, the Aristo, all the military watches except the 6b or 6bb issued watches. Once that is done, the chapter is closed  :Praying:

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 07:58:01 AM »
Final decision has been made. The Gucci Army boys stays. Additions, a B Uhr B dial watch (going full circle after getting rid of the Stowa, Laco and IWC) and perhaps either a Rolex Submariner or the Tudor Pelagos or the Tudor Black Bay. To be culled, the Montblanc, the Aristo, all the military watches except the 6b or 6bb issued watches. Once that is done, the chapter is closed  :Praying:
:thumbsup:
How about LLD?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 08:14:24 AM »
:thumbsup:
How about LLD?

Well there is this nice 5512.......

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 08:21:19 AM »
In that 'friendly' neighbourhood preowned shop?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 09:06:39 AM »
In that 'friendly' neighbourhood preowned shop?

Yes he has one but I am looking else where......  ::)

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 12:10:05 PM »

haha! interesting....glad to know those Pams are still pulling your heart strings.... :Cheers:
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 12:15:48 PM »
out of curiousity, why is do you call your Pams, the gucci army boys?
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »

Ck77 started it. Went from there on ........

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 12:58:13 PM »

haha! interesting....glad to know those Pams are still pulling your heart strings.... :Cheers:

Well they are what they are, well made tool watches. And that is the main reason I like them.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 03:31:43 PM »

Ck77 started it. Went from there on ........
;D ;D

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 09:50:38 PM »
Well, both Pam and Gucci came from same home town Florence.

8 watches are still a lot by all means. I think cutting down to 2-3 is the best. 1 dress watch. 1 sports or casual wear and another for work.

I have been trying so hard not to buy any fancy watches for several years. So far so good. Actually, at time, I notice i wear Luminov or even Seiko military more than any other fancy watches.

I have been thinking to rationale my humble collections as well. Probably sell off all and just grab a AP and PP and once and for all.
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline darrencw

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 12:35:19 AM »
Mr. Hobbit,

Keeping the Gshocks and the rest? then it won't be limited to 8  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 01:45:57 AM »
Mr. Hobbit,

Keeping the Gshocks and the rest? then it won't be limited to 8  :Laughing_on_floor:

Very true, however you need to read this post from the very start. The 8 watches in the collection are what I consider 'good' watches. This does not imply the rest of the watches are not 'good'. I am keeping the independent small makers as well, like Marathon, MIk II, Magrette, etc, but I am not considering them as part of the 8 (or 10). Anyway, the G-Shocks are slowly moving to a fellow collector.