Author Topic: Investments place value of Facebook at $50 billion  (Read 4715 times)

Offline takashi78

Investments place value of Facebook at $50 billion
« on: January 04, 2011, 01:27:10 PM »
Holy crap who could have thought a social networking website is worth so much!
What assets does FB have? Besides servers and their coding.
What are your thoughts?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40885536/ns/business-us_business

Offline peanut

Re: Investments place value of Facebook at $50 billion
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:43:04 PM »
Two key reasons why:

1. It is the defacto king of the social networking and thus the marketing/ad heaven
2. FB has gathered loads of personal profile/info on its users.  If used properly, it is a marketer's dreamland. 

In other words, it is all about marketing power and potential.

Offline sshark

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »
Thanks to ppl like you and I. and power of perception :)

Offline peanut

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 02:02:11 PM »
That said, I can foresee that I will continue to use Google but I am now reluctant to add more to my facebook as I am concern about the risk of misuse of private and confidential information may be disclosed directly or indirectly.  Although FB does allow you to set your privacy setting but I am sure they are doing data mining on our data and potentially will sell to marketing agencies/companies.

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 02:38:29 PM »
nothing wrong with that figure...FB is fun...and to majority of young people...FB is life we living.....turn it down and millions will suffer....
wait another ten years the number of your generation will triple...potentially....it is indeed worth that much.....

i cant disconnect from FB myself....sigh....say what ever u like....it is what it is...

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:47:36 AM »
20 yrs ago ppl study marketing, branding is only a small subject
now branding is in every part of the marketing teaching

so facebook brand will go up further when more n more ppl use it

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:51:41 AM »
exactly !!!!

Offline adrian

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 07:18:56 PM »
Most of us use facebook on a personal basis, to connect with friends and family. But facebook has grown so much that the potential for businesses is enormous. Past years I saw an increase of clients asking us for online campaigns on facebook. Not to mention ads that when clicked makes the cash machine in facebook's office go ka-ching! ka-ching!  ;D

Telcos, broadband companies, airlines, universities and electronics brands are just some of the businesses now looking to provide customer service and support via facebook (and twitter). Got a complaint? Just rant on their facebook page and it gets flagged by their CRM system which initiates a CS agent to contact you to assist.

Some brands are opening online stores in facebook where you can buy directly. Saw one creative method that allowed you to publish the item you like from that store and your friends could chip in via paypal to help you "fund" for that item.  No one has chipped in to my Bamford Rollie fund yet *hint hint*  Just joking. ;D

The other huge money making stream on facebook is social gaming. Zynga recently launched a new game called Cityville where you build your own city. In the short time that it has launched, it has now 84million active users monthly and growing. Don't be surprised to see billboards of actual brands and promotions in the city that when clicked will take you to their website or details on that promotion. Ka-ching! Ka-ching!

Offline sshark

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 08:44:23 PM »
Apart from conventional marketing, fb also thrives on word of mouth (WOM) marketing. WOM makes it more personal i.e. your friend recommendation instead of ads (which meant for everyone) telling the you that shampoo is good for your hair.  Whom will you believe more?

Offline kenixck

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 02:36:59 PM »

if they are that rich, don't understand why they need to get another USD500 million loan for expansion ... (another silicon valley bullcrap)